News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Another Season Come and Gone

Started by Scarlett, September 28, 2008, 08:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarlett

Well, I must say that I enjoyed this season much more than last!   So many new visitors to the shire, performers as well as playtrons. I felt "the vibe" more this year as well, which was absent last season.  I noticed  the parking lot quite packed on many weekends that I attended - I hope the ticket sales reflect Mr. Paradise's projections and led to a profitable faire season.

I'd like to thank our cast who have the dedication to drive to the fairegrounds every weekend, work the crowds, face the weather (not to mention gas prices and turnpike tolls), and deal with the collective ups and downs of being faire employees.  "I feel your pain!"

Closer to my heart, I'd like to thank the playtrons I've come to know and love who call Pittsburgh  our home faire.  Many of us have grown extremely close, meeting our extended family members, helping each other through bad times, and cheering each other through successes and good times.  We've seen each other at our best and (ahem) worst, without altering our opinions of one another.  We've travelled to faires in other states these past many years, and will continue to do so, spreading the contagious vibe that belongs exclusively to us Pittsburgh faire folk (maybe I'm biased), and promoting our "new" home faire. I saw more out of state playtrons this year than ever before!

Thanks to Management and staff, cast, crew, performers, vendors, etc. etc.   Without you, there'd be no faire. 

Here's hoping that Management's expectations were met and exceeded for this business year, and that the faire will continue grow and prosper! 

Everyone stay in touch in the long, cold winter months to come.

Love,

Scarlett
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Scotsman

We came, we saw ... we closed er down. Lady Guinness and I made it home around 2200 last evening ... we were asleep 3.7 minutes later  ;D

Thanks for a great weekend ... from what I remember we had a great time ::)
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Angus_Cutter

This was my first year working at a Ren faire, and I dont know how I could ever live without working here again next year... I am all ready planning garb and bits to do for next year... So I will see you all in only a couple months

Captain Fortune

Quote from: Scotsman on September 29, 2008, 06:47:54 AM
We came, we saw ... we closed er down. Lady Guinness and I made it home around 2200 last evening ... we were asleep 3.7 minutes later  ;D

Thanks for a great weekend ... from what I remember we had a great time ::)

And yet you still beat Captain Fortune home. This pirate rolled in at 8:30 Monday morning.

What a day and what a weekend! Thanks to all for a wonderful season.

And special thanks to Scotsman and the good Lady Guinness for making the voyage to celebrate with us!!
A Pirate's Life for Me.

Charity Morgan

Thank you to every hand that worked so hard to make this festival season come together.  Two pillars who stand tall in my eyes are Lori Hughes and Betty Spreen who work more behind the scenes but without whom we would greatly struggle.  I have been involved in many capacities at this festival for many years...this has been an exceptionally difficult season for me, as most of you know, with the very serious illness of my husband, the shires former King Charming.  Additionally I will mention for those who will remember the pirate I used to work with ...my former partner on the shire at Rainmaker Art which was located in the same spot that Morgans Bounty now stands ...JEFF Armentrout has passed away in Florida.  Jeff worked on many of the buildings in Morelandshire and was supportive crew for our former ownership.  So while you saw my tears at closing pub sing sunday, they were of great saddness and of joy.  We may or might never meet here again.
Several people have asked for more regular updates on Dirk's progress, if you would like to be included in an email group please send your contact information (mundane AND ren/scadian) including your email address to me through ren mail or to morgansbounty@yahoo.com and I will set up a group to better let you know what's going on without being OT on the forum or in the other groups.  Also - folks have been asking if it's ok with us if you pray for us.  PLEASE do!  we think that is what is pulling us through these difficult times, the love and support of our extended family is wonderous!  Dirk is hopeful he will be able to post here soon himself, I have been telling him the things you've said to me and the messages you've given me for him...it is very touching and I am humbled by the great admiration so many people have for him and for us.  Thank you...again...one and all.
Charity Morgan ~ Morgans Bounty
Purveyor of questionably acquired treasures.

Professor M

Scarlett, thank you for starting off this thread.  I love to hear the playtrons' perspective on the faire, and I'm thrilled to hear such positive comments from you.  A few other of our regulars have talked to me also, and we seem to be getting good reviews all around.  That is SO gratifying to hear.  You are the folks who have seen us at our best and our worst.  You have the greatest expectations, because you know what we are capable of doing.  In many ways you are the hardest group to impress, so if we look good to you, we know we look good.

I was on the parapet during Saturday's rain along with Kilted One and Lady Alchemy.  Even as people were rushing to their cars to get warm and dry, some of them still stopped to shout up to us, just to tell us how much they enjoyed their day.  That is the greatest compliment we could receive.  How wonderful!

I want to recognize some of the great new cast members.  They were a major contribution to breathing new life into this faire:

• The Lord High Mayor
  • Rose Singer, the Seamstress
  • Alice, the Baker's daughter
  • Angus Cutter, the butcher
  • Mip, long lost sister of Kip
  • The Sisters of Ameritat, a rare stage act who also played in the street

New to US, and great fun to have around:
  • The Marquiche
  • Amelia Quackston (and Edward)

And I really want to credit the royal court, who tolerated my presence, and showed me new and more gracious ways to interact with the public.  I would bow to any of them.  They deserve the same reverence as the characters they played.

For all intents and purposes this is a new faire, only in its second year.  We are still working at combining the experience and resources of Colorado with the talent and uniqueness of Pittsburgh.  I think we took huge strides in the right direction this year, and we're just going to keep getting better and better.  I would feel privileged just to buy a ticket to this faire.  To be able to work with so many great people is nothing short of an honor.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

kilted one

I want to thank everyone involved this year as this was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life.  I have been around the festival for years, but to be involved with the future of it and to help create the story of Morelandshire was one of the greatest things ever.

I want to thank the rest of the new cast for being great to work with and to the returning cast for being such great mentors for us.  All I know is that I want, nay, I must be a part of this next year so I can continue making wonderful memories!!

Thank you, ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Alice

The first time I heard everyone sing "Health to the Company" I think it was Professor M who said I would be in tears when singing it on the last day, and I kind of doubted it. But yesterday he was definitely right, I broke down because I didn't want it to end.

I wanted to say thank you to all the kind patrons and playtrons and the rest of the cast for everything they've done for me over these six weeks, and for having to put up with my antics (haha) but really, as a newbie I love you all for treating me with so much respect. :) I don't think I'll ever find another job with the tight family bond that the Pittsburgh RenFest has, and I'm so grateful for being included into that family. Needless to say, I've definitely got plans on returning next year.

I'm going to miss everyone and hope to keep in touch with all of you. Thanks for a great year and your great friendship, it's appreciated much more than you know.

-Heather (AKA Alice Baker)
- Alice Baker, baker's daughter -
Best buns in the shire.

Lady Guinness

I just want to take a moment and say thank you to my many dear friends in Pittsburgh who mad this weekend so wonderful. Morwyn and Scarlett you guys are just amazing women and I enjoy every moment we are able to share. (especially if shopping is involved!). My dear Charity and Cpt. Fourtune, it was so good to see both of you, we never get to see each other enough. Thank you both for the hugs  ;) Terry- as always thank you for the beautiful music. Kilted one and Prof M. as always it was a pleasure to see you. A very special thank you to my sweet DuCouer~ you are a wonderful host and a great friend.You made us feel at home and comfortable in your shire. Those that know me know how passionate I feel about my home faire but I have to say it would be the most perfect world if I could bring you all to my faire every weekend. I truly feel that the people make the faire and I feel close to the Pittsburgh group and I wish I could just move your nice city closer to Maryland. Take care and I hope to be able to host all of you very soon in my shire. Hugs  :-*

Kip

I would like to say great job everyone!! We pulled off another season in morland shire. I would like to thank M, Mip,Butcher,Ashlie,Stephen, and everyone else that I talked to about my issues. Helping me get back on track and putting on a good show. M the long talks and bits that we came up with while driving to rehearsal "Its the way you Presented it". Mip and Rat catcher throwing down the challenge to see who could get put in the stocks the most. Mop the interaction we had in the street. You getting any guy and me getting married. Hanging out at Wendy's to wee hours in the morning. Also Hanging out at Eaten Park and taking it over the last day. The night we hung out with SMOKEN!! you know who you are. lol

Lady Celynn

Wow, I don't even know where to begin.  This year has been so incredible and so much fun.  I sincerely hope that Mr. Paradise reads the boards so he can see how much we appreciate all he has done to insure that our fayre's success.  As M stated this is only year 2 for this Fayre, but you would never guess from the wonderful vibes and closeness of all involved. The shire has never looked better and the talent and cast are the best we've ever had. 

I'm not even going to try to thank everyone by name, because I'm afraid that I might miss someone, and I love you all!  The talent, court, cast, shop owners and playtons/patrons are some of the best "family" anyone could ask for.  The sense and feeling of family was unbelievable, and the energy and attitude of everyone was intoxicating.  The bonds that we all forged this season have grown stronger and stronger.  I know it only ended yesterday, but I miss everyone already. 

We will find ways to get together several times throughout the year, so watch the boards for updates on Rennie happenings. 

Lady Celynn (now returning to my shy wall flower state) ;)

GypsyWriter

Thanks Scarlet for starting this thread.  Since I bailed on you guys, I am at least able to enjoy hearing about the faire second hand.

I am still trying to pay for my trip to TRF next month, and I just recently booked a spontaneous trip to Forks WA in November for my daughter's 17th birthday, inspired by my book club's obsession with the "Twilight" series.  So I'm pinching pennies, and decided to forego Pittsburgh.  (Those who saw me at GLMF this past summer might recall I was a bit DAZZLEDby the books...)

I thought of all of you often this past week end, and imagined what I'd be doing at given moments if we had made the trip to Morelandshire. 

I am especially sorry to have missed the local musical performers. Terry....here's hoping that your review will be in the next issue of RenMag.  I'm sorry the timing couldn't have been better for you.
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

Terry Griffith

You know, if you put off posting to a thread long enough, everybody will say all that you wanted to.

I can only say "dittos" to what has already been said about the run.  It was great.  Filled with memories and experiences that we will talk about until next season.  It had all the necessary ingredients of life itself;  fun and laughter, work that was at the same time grueling and gratifying, a few profits and a few losses, some dissapointments and some pleasant surprises and a few tears of joy and sadness.  We met new friends and said goodbye to others, watched long time traditions fade away and started some new ones.

I hope to be a part of several other fairs next year but Morelandshire will always be my home and I can't wait to come home again with all of you.  You are the family that keeps the faire alive and, just like mundane families, its that familial bond that will never be broken even though members come and go and even change rolls as we adapt to new situations.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Countess Westmorland

well, it's taken me the entire day to gather my thoughts on this most amazing summer.  Words are hard to come by right now, my friends.  I can't even begin to name everyone and am afraid I will leave someone out.  But, here goes:

To our fantastic playtrons, thank you for supporting a new cast person last year.  You allowed me to play with you and welcomed me and made me want to come back and do it all over again.  This year was more fun than ever.  You accepted me as the Scottish Queen and gave me respect.  All the while not knowing that, underneath all that regal garb there lurked bloomers that were either Steeler, Simpsons, Beatles, Pink Flamingoes, the Irish Flag (for Celtic weekend), Fairy tales or Princess crowns!  Ahhh, the things we hide under those hoops!  And to those of you who traveled to our shire, I was so happy to see you come from afar.  I only wish I could have spent more time with you but duty called.

To my fellow cast members, I don't know when I have enjoyed working with a group of people more than I have enjoyed working with all of you.  You are special, each and every one of you, and, together, we took that fantastic journey and made that magic.  I am looking forward to next year so much.  Every day you made me smile and sometimes just laugh out loud!

To my dearest Royal Family, thank you for opening your arms to me, helping me grow into my role, encouraging me and just being you!  You Rock!

To management (if any of you see this) thank you for letting me have fun!

But, mostly, thank you, Troubadour, for bringing me along to your "gigs" those first times you played there those years ago and convinced me to wear garb!  I hold you responsible for all of this and, everyone, blame him!  

I love you all!   ;D

Maggie Tudor
A little song, a little dance, a little rum down your pants!

kilted one

Quote from: Countess Westmorland on September 29, 2008, 11:12:07 PM
But, mostly, thank you, Troubadour, for bringing me along to your "gigs" those first times you played there those years ago and convinced me to wear garb!  I hold you responsible for all of this and, everyone, blame him! 

That's it, blame the guy.
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!