News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A time for courage

Started by DonaCatalina, September 29, 2008, 09:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Violet tapped her fingers on the table as she waited for her mother to return. To be entirely truthful, she was waiting for her stepmother. This was how Violet titled her in the privacy of her thoughts, even if most people insisted on referring to her simply as Violet's mother. Not that Violet disliked her stepmother, but sometimes she was left with the feeling that Elizabeth, the new Lady Carrick would have preferred not to be bothered with Violet's presence. Margaret was expecting Violet to come over and help with her wedding trousseau. But she was forced to wait and find out what else her stepmother wanted to tell her.
  She realized her mind had wandered when she was startled by Lady Carrick's appearance, trailed by three of the household's maids. "Mistress Lisle and her son Hereward will be visiting today" Lady Carrick announced "So I want you to wear one of your better dresses. If you put a little effort into impressing Hereward, he would probably ask to marry you." Violet's stomach turned itself into knots at the mention of Hereward's name. She shook her head to clear it of the picture that had formed of his dull gaze and pig-like pink eyes. "I've already promised to help Margaret with her sewing" Violet answered "The wedding is only months away and there is so much sewing yet to be done. I am sure that I reminded you yesterday". Lady Carrick pursed her lips and gave her stepdaughter a withering glare. "You could be preparing for your own wedding" she told Violet "But you find an excuse to be absent every time Mistress Lisle and her son visit. Her brother is Baron Whitemount, and Hereward is his heir apparent. One day you could be a baroness if you would just warm up to the boy." Violet drew up her courage and answered "dear mother, I have no desire to marry Hereward. There is little to no chance of him actually inheriting a barony, but I would not want to marry him even if it were certain." Lady Carrick shook her finger at Violet and said in a rising voice "You should think of improving your social position. Your father worries considerably about finding you a suitable marriage. He may just decide to order you to marry Hereward when I tell him of your willfulness!" Violet could stand no more. "Will you also tell him the stories that have told around town of the unnatural things that the servants have caught your precious Hereward doing? Or how the men say that Hereward has been banned from the riverfront taverns for nearly killing a couple of barmaids?" Lady Carrick's hand moved so fast that Violet had no time to dodge the blow. The sound of the open-handed slap echoed through the suddenly silent room. Her cheek stung like fire as Violet fled the room, and continued out the front door.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Margaret's reaction when she saw Violet was proof that the hand print was still visible. She immediately took Violet's hand and led her into the drawing room where she and her mother had been sitting amidst enormous piles of fabric. Lady Wesley stood up in surprise when she saw the face of her daughter's friend. "What happened" she asked with her concern clear in her voice. Violet sank onto the nearest settle before she replied "I told my mother exactly how I felt about Hereward Lisle and she took offense." Lady Wesley sat down and instructed Violet "You had better start at the beginning and explain everything to me." Violet picked up a sleeve that she had started embroidering during her last visit. She related the entire episode with her stepmother as she worked her needle in a steady rhythm. When she finished her tale, the room fell silent except for the rustle of cloth. After a few moments Lady Wesley commented "I do not like this idea of marrying you off to Master Lisle. Your mother Lavender was one of my closest friends. I do not think she would have wanted you to marry such an ill-reputed man. Let us hope that since you have made your feelings clear that no more will come of it." Margaret nodded in agreement with her mother and added "That would certainly be a ghastly match." Basking in their assurances, Violet's spirits lifted. "You are certainly lucky with your betrothed" she directed at Margaret "Sir John is certainly one of the best mannered men I have met." Margaret's enthusiasm bubbled forth "And now that he has been appointed assistant to the Knight Harbinger, his future is secured at Court." Violet stopped and looked down before she said "I remember when we were much younger and we pretended that you would marry my brother Richard. It would have been nice to call you sister indeed." Lady Wesley reached out for Violet's hand and responded "Alas that your father had his sights on a more elusive prospect for your brother Richard." She sat back and picked up a spool of thread as she added "Though I gather that negotiations are not going well for any of Somerset's daughters. He seems to feel that their rank should make up for a lack of dowry." Margaret broke in with Sir John is more than happy with my dowry. Even if he does own his own property, my dower house will allow us to live a comfortable distance from the Court." Lady Wesley smiled and added "And allows me to see my grandchildren more frequently."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Lady Wesley's face grew serious as she said "What is a puzzle to me is that I see no benefit for your family if you marry Hereward." Violet answered without looking up from her work "Mother seems to think that Hereward will be Baron Whitemount's heir." Lady Wesley seemed to ponder this for a moment. When she spoke again she seemed even more puzzled "Baron Whitemount is young and has not even been wed a year. I think it highly unlikely that Hereward will inherit the Barony. I can see how this would be a desirable marriage from Mistress Lisle's view though. That your Great-Aunt Lilly left her estates entailed to you upon your marriage is common knowledge. It made your father angry enough that he cared not that the whole world knew that she left her estates to be managed by the Church and not by him." This time Violet looked up and a blush crept into her cheeks. "Father often enough reminded me" she said softly "Usually when he accused me of being as willful as Aunt Lilly." "Violet" Margaret spoke up "Has your half-brother George been mentioned at all?" Violet thought a moment before she answered "There has been no mention of him recently. Father has provided him with an allowance to study at Oxford. I think he planned for George to go into the Church and make a career there." Lady Wesley stood up at that moment and put away her sewing. "Well, we have chattered away enough time for today" she announced "We are having guests tonight from Sir John's family. It is time that Margaret and I prepared for that." They spent a few moments putting away needles and thread before Violet started to leave. "Please come again tomorrow!" Margaret called out to her before she disappeared up the stairs.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The family dinner that Violet sat through that evening was much less pleasant that her friend's dinner probably was. The Lisle family members were guests at dinner. Master Lisle grew progressively more silent as he worked his way to the bottom of his wine pitcher. Lord Carrick's efforts to engage that worthy gentleman in conversation gradually ceased as the ineffectiveness became apparent. Hereward's eyes were almost lost in his pale puffy face, but they followed Violet's every movement with the intensity of a ferret on the hunt. It seemed to Violet that Mistress Lisle and her stepmother studiously ignored her throughout the meal. Perhaps they thought that this would force her to make conversation with Hereward. But if this is what they hoped, it was doomed to failure. Violet's discomfort under Hereward's scrutiny gradually increased until she was unable to choke down her food. Slowly all conversation died until the room's quiet was only broken by the occasional clink of knife or plate. The servants had cleared away most of the dishes when Violet asked "May I be excused from table? I do not feel well and would like to go to bed." Her stepmother's mouth turned into a harsh frown in response. "It would be good manners for you to stay and help entertain our guests." She replied. "The child is obviously distressed" Lord Carrick thundered from the head of the table "let her go to bed. It is late and this dinner appears to be over anyway." He slammed his chair backwards when he stood up. After bestowing a disgusted glance on his cowed wife, he marched out of the room. His outburst surprised no one more than Violet, but she recovered enough to take advantage of the others' surprise and slip out of the room in the opposite direction.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Access to the wing of the house where the bedrooms were located meant going back through the main room where the table was. To avoid bringing herself back to her stepmother's notice, Violet retreated to one of her childhood hiding places. The cupboards built into the paneling near the front door had been much roomier when Violet was only seven. Now they barely afforded her room to sit down on an ancient chest stored there. She leaned back into a pile of musty drapery and let herself drift into a light doze. Barely minutes later, she was jolted awake when Master Lisle stumbled heavily against the cupboard door. By listening carefully she determined that Mistress Lisle was the last to leave. "I will bring him around to the idea of Violet's marriage to Hereward." Lady Carrick said in a low voice "The other will be taken care of as soon as they are married and Yardley Hall is signed over to George." "I know you will manage" Mistress Lisle replied "I just worry that further delay will give them time to produce a child. That would throw all our plans to the wind." Violet was so surprised by the mention of Yardley Hall that she almost missed what came next. "I will make sure that the betrothal contract is ready before the next fortnight passes" Lady Carrick said before the click of the closing door cut off her voice. After opening the cupboard just a crack, Violet peeked out to be sure that her stepmother had followed the Lisle family outside. When she was certain that she was alone in the entry, she dashed out and away. She didn't stop until she reached her tiny bedroom and had bolted the door.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

As early as possible in the morning, Violet made her way to Margaret's house. Her friend was a little surprised to see her that early, but greeted her warmly nonetheless. "You will never believe what I overheard last night" she exclaimed breathlessly "My stepmother expects that Hereward will sign Yardley Hall over to her son George after my marriage." Margaret gasped and responded "In light of what Mother said last night, that makes a lot of this clearer. This is how Lady Carrick will benefit if you marry Hereward." Lady Wesley had entered the room in time to hear the last parts of this conversation. "I can only suppose your father is going along because it means that your half-brother George will be less of a drain on his purse." She shepherded the two girls into the drawing room before she spoke again. "If I remember correctly, your grandfather was a Vassal to the Earl of Northumberland. In all likelihood, at least some of your three dower properties fell under his jurisdiction. I must speak to Lord Wesley, but I think mayhap that you can place an appeal to Northumberland over your marriage and the settlement of your properties." Lady Wesley dismissed the maid who had accompanied her and sat silent until the girl had closed the door behind her. Lady Wesley continued to question Violet "Was there anything that was said about you". Violet screwed up her forehead in thought as she answered "I am not certain. My mother said something else had to be taken care of before someone had time to produce a child. I do understand how that could have referred to me, but it seems as if my mother and her friends have been making plans for some time." Lady Wesley looked relieved when Violet finished speaking. She stood up and told the two girls "I do not hear anything particularly sinister in that. But Mistress Lilly and the Late Lady Carrick would both be appalled to hear what is being planned for poor Violet. Not to mention the diversion of Mistress Lilly's legacy." She opened the door and paused before she left. "You two continue with your sewing. I will speak to Lord Wesley."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The two girls sat close together, Margaret's golden hair contrasting with Violet's raven-wing black. Margaret voice dropped to a whisper "Would you appeal to the Earl before you had to marry Hereward?" Violet's face paled and her hands trembled as she thought about the question. "Northumberland is so very far away. The thought of such a long and dangerous journey alone frightens me." Concern for her friend could be heard in Margaret's voice when she responded "Perhaps your father will not agree to the marriage. It seems that he is not over fond of Mistress Lisle or her son." Violet drew a deep breath and mustered her courage before she said "I hope for the best. But as much as I am afraid of going to Northumberland, I am more afraid of Hereward." She shuddered before she leaned in close to Margaret and continued "One day after Mistress Lisle had brought Hereward for a visit, I hid in the loft of the stable. I overheard the Master of the Horses talking to the head gardener. He said that one of tavern wenches refused to do something, unnatural is the word I think he used, for Hereward so he beat her nearly to death and forced her. He also said that since it was the second time the tavern keeper banned Hereward." The look of disgust on Margaret's face would have been plenty of answer but she also blurted out "I cannot imagine what Hereward must have done but from the sound of things it must have been sickening. The only thing you had told me before was the story your maid told about him torturing the dogs with a hot poker. Small wonder that you would be afraid to marry him." Violet shuddered again and then shook her head to clear her thoughts. "Let's not speak of him anymore" she pleaded "I would much rather talk about your upcoming wedding. Has your father engaged a cook for the banquet?" "Yes he has actually" Margaret replied with a sidelong glance at Violet "Father says we were lucky to get him since he will later be handling the Duke of Buckingham's Twelfth Night Feast. Italian cooks are in demand now with anyone who wants to make an impression."  Margaret laughed before she continued "Father is glad now that he signed the contract months ago. Lord Eresby tried to hire the Italian and now he is asking twice as much in wages."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

When Violet was almost home later that evening, she stopped in her tracks when she saw her stepmother on the street. It was not the sight of Lady Carrick that stopped her, but the fact that she was speaking to a man who was half-hidden in the shadow of an over-hanging balcony. A cold knot formed in her stomach when she saw herb stepmother pass him a small leather bag. Instinctively she knew that Lady Carrick would not want this scene witnessed by her stepdaughter. This meant that Violet turned and ducked back around the nearest corner. She leaned against the timber wall until her breathing slowed and her heart ceased to pound. When she was reasonably certain that her stepmother had concluded her business, Violet stepped back onto the lane and continued her journey home. There were no guests for dinner that night, but it was a quiet dinner even so. Violet had steeled herself for another round of Hereward's virtues, so she was pleasantly surprised to be spared. In her own mind she decided that it was her father's temper that had tied her stepmother's tongue. More than once her father's black eyes and quick anger had prompted a comparison with the devil. If he had become angry at something, it was usually safer to keep silent on that subject for several days.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The next morning Violet was busy with lessons from her music teacher. At one time, Lady Carrick had entertained hopes that Violet could be placed as a lady-in-waiting to the queen. The King's well known parsimony had eventually shown those hopes to be in vain. The last vestige of her effort to prepare Violet for Court life was the music teacher. The Latin and French tutors had been dismissed as soon as George was old enough to ship off to Oxford. By the time the lessons were done, it was too late for a trip to visit Margaret. So Violet decided to go down to the laundress's closet and see if any of her own chemises and house gowns needing repairing. Usually there was some seam or hem that needed attention. Today was no exception, even though there were not many simply because Violet did not own that many garments. She was returning to her room with an armful when she glimpsed Mistress Lisle in the main room. Not surprised, she recognized her stepmother's voice as it came from a part of the room that was out of sight. The urge to avoid Mistress Lisle was strong enough to hasten Violet's pace until she heard her own name. Frozen in place she heard clearly "I will make sure he gets the second half of his fee tomorrow. But you make sure that Hereward marries Violet after his uncle is dead and he is Baron. Do not renege on my payment." Unfortunately, at that moment Violet's scissors fell from her basket and clattered to the floor.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

In desperation Violet backed up and slammed open the hallway door as if she had just came from there. The tiny scissors were easily hidden under her foot. Lady Carrick's white face under her mouse-brown hair looked out into the hallway at Violet. "I am s-so sorry" Violet stammered "I did not mean to open the door so forcefully. I apologize if I startled you." The color gradually crept back into Lady Carrick's face, but she still looked suspicious when she replied "Be more careful in the future. There was no damage done but you did startle Mistress Lisle and myself." After Violet dropped her eyes to the floor, her stepmother turned and went back out of the hall. With a sigh of relief, Violet quickly grabbed her scissors and ran all the way to her room. She did not see her stepmother again until dinner. There was one guest for dinner that evening, a gentleman. From what Violet could surmise from the conversation between him and her father, he was the owner of several river barges. Lord Carrick was trying to arrange favorable terms for shipping wool from one of his estates. Their animated conversation, fueled by quantities of wine, meant that Violet and her stepmother were forced to remain silent. At first Violet thought that perhaps Lady Carrick had convinced herself that Violet had not heard the conversation with Mistress Lisle earlier. But the looks that her stepmother bestowed on her throughout the evening grew gradually darker and more ominous. By the time she excused herself to go to bed, Violet was convinced that her stepmother knew that she had been overheard planned dire consequences for Violet.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

As soon as the scullery maids were up and moving around, Violet let herself out of the house. Muffled in her cloak against the early morning chill, she hurried to her friend, Margaret. A surprised maid let her in and showed her to the empty drawing room. The light coming in the window was noticeably brighter by the time a boy brought hot coals for the brazier. It was later still when Lady Wesley appeared at the door. "It would be an understatement to say that your arrival this early means something unusual has happened" Lady Wesley said in a slightly anxious voice. Violet shivered and hugged her cloak around her before she replied "I d-do apologize. But I did not have anyone else to turn to." Turning to the hallway, Lady Wesley called "Mary, have the cook send some hot cider in here and send word to Lord Wesley that he is needed posthaste." Lady Wesley seated herself in her usual chair and told Violet "We will wait for Lord Wesley so that he can hear the entire tale." A disheveled Margaret came in followed by a maid with a steaming pot and earthenware cups. After she had served them all Lady Wesley instructed "leave the pot, Mary. I will serve his lordship myself when he arrives." The maid bowed and shut the door as she left the room. The three of them sat and sipped their drinks in silence. The warmth of the cider and the brazier coals slowly penetrated Violet's fear inspired chill. She had just let her cloak fall from her shoulders when Lord Wesley entered the room.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Lord Wesley was a golden bear of a man who dominated any room he entered. His eye fell on Violet and she flushed under the steady gaze. "Mistress Violet, please tell me what has prompted this early morning disruption of my household." He commanded in a firm tone. Violet's heart quailed in her chest but she gathered every bit of her courage and spoke "This all started when my stepmother started to press the idea of a marriage between myself and Hereward Lisle. I think my father resisted the idea because Hereward will inherit practically nothing. For myself, I resisted because I have formed a dislike for him." Lord Wesley involuntary snort surprised Violet momentarily. It seemed that Lord Wesley had heard as much, or more of Hereward's character than Violet had. After a pause, Violet continued "Then I overheard my stepmother discussing a bargain she had made with Mistress Lisle. When I was forced to marry Hereward, a portion of my inheritance from my great aunt would be signed over to my half-brother George." Lord Wesley leaned forward in his chair and his expression grew more intent. He seemed on the point of speaking, so Violet waited to see what he would say. He merely waived his hand impatiently for her to finish. "I spoke with Lady Wesley and Margaret about this, but there did not seem to be anything particularly sinister about their plans. They appeared to be merely dishonest. Then one evening on my way home, I saw my stepmother hand a leather satchel to a strange man with whom she had been speaking." She took a sip of cider to ease her dry throat. No one stirred before Violet spoke again "Later I heard my stepmother speaking to Mistress Lisle and she told her that she would make the second half of the payment for Baron Whitemount's death. She also warned Mistress Lisle against betraying their agreement concerning Yardley Hall after my marriage to Hereward Lisle."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The stunned silence that followed those last few sentences stretched out until broken by Lord Wesley. "In truth" he said "A great many other things are explained by this. According to my Steward, Master Lisle has bought up a much larger quantity of ale and wine than has been his wont heretofore. This circumstance only came to my attention because of the problems in victualling for Margaret's wedding." He turned then to Violet and asked "Does Lady Carrick know what you heard?" Violet shrank into her seat before she answered "I believe so, but I am not certain. She saw me in the hallway after they had finished speaking but I tried to make it seem that I had just come from the laundresses closet." Lord Wesley stroked his beard as he pondered this bit of information. His wife touched his arm and entreated him "We cannot let the child go back to that house." After he exchanged a look with Lady Wesley, he questioned Violet "What do you think that Lady Carrick will do if you do go back?" The thoughts that raced through Violet's head meant she had to swallow hard before she replied "At the very least I believe she will arrange for Hereward to force me. After that my father would feel he would have no choice but to agree to a wedding." Lord Wesley's eyebrows had crept up his forehead a little, but what she said next left him wide-eyed "No matter if he gets me with child though, I fear that evil would befall Baron Whitemount and I would not long survive my marriage vows." Lord Wesley stood and looked down at Violet for some moments. His shoulders sagged as he turned to Lady Wesley "My lady" he began "What I did not add earlier was that the Steward has surmised that Master Lisle is deeply in debt. Master Lisle's expenses continue to increase unabated, that is either symptom or cause of this mad plot." He paused and looked to his wife as he added "Baron Whitemount has refused any further loans to his half-sister, Mistress Lisle."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Many pieces of the puzzle started coming together in Violet's mind. Her thoughts were interrupted when Lord Wesley spoke again "If the girl disappears from the house, I am sure Lady Carrick will search here first. I know that you suggested she appeal to Northumberland, but we will need to hide her somewhere until that can be arranged." He stopped and his eye traveled to the maid who had served the cider. She had crept back in with a fresh pot, and she froze as she saw the look in his eye. "Servants invariably talk" Lord Wesley commented "So this one will have to be bundled away with Mistress Violet. Keep them both close in here until I find a place where they can be moved." Lady Wesley interjected "Can we not appeal to the king? I mislike sending her so far away" His face became grimmer as he answered "If she appeals to the king first, she will become his ward. You know how much is said of him. I fear once under the king's hand, Mistress Violet would see neither husband, nor inheritance." Lady Wesley reluctantly nodded agreement to her husband before he turned and left. She took Violet's hand and told her "We will do all that we can to see that you make it to Northumberland safely. Do not be afraid." Violet gave her a tremulous smile in return. Margaret sighed and said "If it was not for such a dire reason, I would almost wish to go with you since you are my best friend." Violet's smile turned genuine as she replied "Of course you do not. Your wedding date is too soon to allow for that. And as you are my friend I would not see that postponed"
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Lord Wesley was as true as his word. Later that day he returned with a man who was unknown to Violet. The tall slender man with just a touch of gray in his hair stood quietly as Lord Wesley spoke. Violet also listened as he told Lady Wesley "Sir Edward has agreed to house the girl and the maid until arrangements can be made for them to travel to Northumberland."  He then gestured towards Violet and explained "He has brought with him two maids in cloaks. The cloaks will be exchanged and he will be seen to leave with his two maids. The household will understand the reason for the maids since he has brought some goodly fabrics as a wedding present for our Margaret." Lady Wesley's face grew serious as she asked "How then shall his maids leave unremarked?" He answered "During the night, I shall escort them out myself when no one is likely to see. But it is time now to be about it." Violet and the maid donned the cloaks. Bowing low before them, Violet told her benefactors "Thank you very much for aiding me in my hours of need. I pray that you have not put yourselves in any danger on my account." Lord Wesley nodded his acceptance and his Lady gave Violet a brief embrace before gently urging her to follow the silent Sir Edward out of the house.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess