News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A time for courage

Started by DonaCatalina, September 29, 2008, 09:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

For several days Violet spent most of her time with only Mary for company, except in the evenings. Lord Horton asked that she dine with him. Even though they had dined in his presence chamber on the night of Violet's arrival, thereafter, dinner was served in the main room. Violet was apprehensive about such formal dinners. She felt acutely that she was a less than glamorous dinner companion. Perhaps he sensed this, for Lord Horton talked mainly of everyday things such as any family might discuss. He talked of his son and how Lord Wesley had come to be his squire. He only hinted at the most recent wars and the manner in which his son had died. It was not difficult to see that even many years later, that this was a painful subject for Lord Horton. One evening he surprised Violet when he suddenly asked "If you do not wish to marry this knave that your mother has proposed, is there some other lad who has caught your eye?" Violet blinked and answered before she considered her words "I had not been aware how much you had known of my situation. But no, there is no other boy or man that I would like to marry." Lord Horton seemed a trifle pleased at her answer. "Said well enough I suppose" he commented "I only knew what William felt that it was safe to say in a message. But I warrant there is more to the tale now that I have gotten to know you." Violet dropped her gaze and responded "I was charged to keep as silent as I may, for my safety as well as that of others." He nodded in response and reassured her "I will not press to know more than you would tell. But upon that one point I was determined to satisfy my own curiosity." He then changed the subject to the coming Advent season, much to Violet's relief.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

An unusually sunny afternoon led Violet out into the gardens after she had been at this house nearly two weeks. She had a book of prayer with her but it lay unread on her lap as she enjoyed the rare warmth on her face. The crunching sound of footsteps on the gravel walk brought her attention back to her surroundings. Lord Horton, leaning on his cane, led a much younger man towards her. She knew Lord Horton well enough by now to know that recognize the anger that clouded her face. "Milady" he addressed her "I am afraid that the day of our parting is close at hand." He gave Violet a rueful smile at her reaction. "I had hoped to send you on your way better guarded" he continued "The unusually heavy rains in the south have delayed a major portion of the men that I had intended to accompany you, at least according to this soldier." The last part of the comment led Violet to look more closely at the second man. He was middling size and height with hair of a non-descript brown. He was also much older than he had looked at first. Up close, his face was lined and browned by outdoor life. Lord Horton leaned heavily on his cane and looked up at the sky. "I do believe this weather will hold" he commented "So it is my considered opinion that you stay until morning." With a significant side look at the other man, Lord Horton added "The extra time might be spent towards our favor." Master Stephen had come up the walk from the house and waited just a few steps away. Lord Horton waived him over and instructed "Settle the sergeant and his men in somewhere. Mistress will be leaving in the morning. You know what preparations need to be made." Then he swung his cane around and limped towards the house with the two other men in tow.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

It was not yet dawn when Violet awoke with a start. It seemed to her that the morning passed in only moments before she stood outside ready to leave. The cart that would carry her on the next leg of her journey held considerably more baggage than she had arrived with. An involuntary smile crossed her face as she remembered last night's conversation with Lord Horton. Barely had she convinced Lord Horton not to send more maids with her in addition to Mary. The sergeant had looked relieved when Lord Horton had finally acquiesced. It was plain that he did not relish guarding a cart and a herd of women with only his squad of five men. Mary helped Violet dress and they went downstairs where the entire household had breakfast. That Lord Horton did not appear was not a surprise to Violet. According to his repeated complaints, cold mornings were hard on his legs. What did surprise Violet was the fact that only the sergeant had a horse. The other men would accompany the cart on foot. There was no reason for a lingering farewell, so they did get an early start. Two men sat on the driving seat, one with a crossbow on his lap. The rest of the men took turns walking along the sides of the cart. It was going to be a long ride and Violet was well aware of that fact. However, they had not gone far when one the men who were walking started singing. Moments later the rest of the men picked up the tune. A few times the tune faltered when it came to some of the more ribald lyrics. Violet was not entirely certain what some of the lyrics meant, but periodically the singing would stop clumsily and a different song would start. Some of the fumbled songs made Mary's face blush, which led Violet to wonder about her past, just a little.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The sergeant called a halt when it was still light outside. Violet wondered what had caused him to stop so early. As if in response to her thought, he poked his head through the curtains and announced "It looks to rain soon. So we will get off the road and into shelter before it starts." The group of men went about their jobs quickly amid cheerful banter. Violet and Mary happily left the cart and stretched their legs. A half-pavilion was set up alongside the cart. This would allow the men not on guard duty a chance to get out of the rain when it came. True to the sergeant's predictions, a steady drizzle started not long after everything was set up for the night. The cooking fire popped and hissed when the rain hit the flaming logs. The afternoon light faded, and left the air feeling colder in addition to the wet. After she had finished her dinner of a thick porridge, Violet clambered back into the cart and prepared to sleep. The steady drum of the rain on canvas was almost hypnotic and lulled her to sleep quickly.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

It was still raining when Violet awoke the next morning. Cold bread and meat were the breakfast that the group shared. When they started back on the road, the men walking kept to the edges as much as possible. The rain had made the claylike soil of the road into a treacherous path. One slip could mean a sprained ankle, or worse. It seemed to be a small mercy to Violet when the rain stopped after mid-day. The manner of the men became noticeably more cheerful when they could stand and eat without being soaked further. When the cart started again, Mary hesitantly asked Violet "How much further do we have to go? I have never been this far from home." For an answer Violet spread her hands helplessly and said "I cannot tell. I know it is far to the north but no one has ever told me how many days." Mary settled back and shivered in her blanket. Violet felt a brief twinge of guilt at Mary's enforced journey, until she reasoned that the girl's duties would have been much heavier had she remained behind.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The clouds darkened until afternoon was hardly lighter than dusk. The rain had gotten so heavy that the walking men no longer had the energy for singing. A thud louder than the pouring rain caught Violet's attention. She turned towards the front of the car to see the driver fall slowly backwards through the curtain, a crossbow bolt sprouting from his throat. Without hesitation, Violet pushed the screaming Mary out of the back of the cart.
One of the soldiers lay dead against the back wheel, two arrows in his neck and shoulder. Violet shoved Mary under the cart with the intention of hiding there. Then she slipped in the mud and fell at the edge of the road. She caught a glimpse of dirty faced men in rough clothing in the trees opposite her. Her attempt to stand sent her over the steep embankment and in a roll down the ravine. Violet flailed helplessly as she tumbled and fell through the wet foliage. She was dazed when she finally came to a stop at the bottom. Her hood had come off somewhere during her wild descent and her wet black hair hung in tangles around her face. With some effort Violet pulled herself into a sitting position against a tree trunk. After a quick inspection, she was pleased to find that the heavy fabric of her dress was intact. Her body felt like a mass of bruises, but Violet knew she had to get up and start moving.  If the bandits had seen her fall, it would only be a matter of time before they came to look for her. She struggled to her feet and started to walk upstream along a gurgling creek next to her. Violet had not gone far when a figure stepped from behind a wide tree trunk. Strong hands clamped over her mouth and prevented her involuntary shriek.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

"I wilna hurt ye" a husky male voice whispered in Violet's ear. "If ye dunna mak a sound, Ah'll let ye go." He added. Violet nodded vigorously and the hand was withdrawn. The man was so tall Violet looked nearly straight up to see him. Gasping for air, she turned to face this new threat. Locks of dark auburn hair framed green eyes in a tanned and handsome masculine face. With quick hand motions, he indicated that she should go ahead of him. He was clad in a kilt of muted colors and a leather jerkin, darkened by the rain. Violet took a couple of steps before she saw another man nearly identical to the first and two more men of similar appearance. Only the disparity between their appearance and the bandits up the hill kept her feet moving. To her surprise, the man to whom the rest deferred was not the man who had grabbed her. It was the second one she had seen. The walk through the rough terrain, through brush and trees seemed an eternity. The relentless rain left her hair hanging in wet ropes down her back. The black velvet gown soaked up the water and became heavier with every step. A turn among the trees brought them to a rocky overhang where six horses were tethered. On the back of one, the carcass of a red deer hung limply. With very little noise the men mounted their horses. The one who Violet had decided was the leader unceremoniously tossed her onto the back of a horse. It was a small mercy that her train was wide enough to let her ride with her legs covered. The daylight which had been very dim faded completely before the men brought Violet to a stopping place. More men and horses waited in a clearing. The dark did not seem to be a hindrance, as they packed their gear and made to accompany the men with Violet. She saw a few questioning looks from pale faces that came near, but heard nothing. They started off single file with Violet halfway down the line.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Violet was shocked to realize that she was lying on the ground. It was quiet so she knew that the rain had stopped. She was chilled in her wet clothes, but she had been covered with a thick wool plaid. The noise from her abrupt movement brought a man into the shallow cave. He was mostly silhouette, but she could tell he was the leader of the group. Her head swam as she asked "How did I get here?" He stepped forward until she saw him clearly. With only a hint of a burr in his voice he replied "Ye fell asleep atop the horse. It was good enough reason for us all to stop and rest. What is yer name Lass?" "Violet Derington" she answered automatically. Her sharp intake of breath betrayed her sudden fear. Even though he gave her a sharp look, he continued as if he hadn't heard the gasp "Pleased to make your acquaintance. My name is Alexander Edmonstone, most people call me Sandy." He extended a hand in order to help Violet to her feet. Once on her feet she asked "What is going to become of me?" He cocked his head to one said and responded "That somewhat depends on yerself now doesn't it? Where were ye going before ye took yer tumble?" After a pause, Violet decided to chance and told the man what she could.
"I was on my way to see the Earl of Northumberland when we were attacked by bandits. Two men were killed that I know of for sure. But my maid and the other men were still alive when I fell. I would prefer to get back to them and complete my journey." She said as she looked up at him with pleading eyes. Sandy turned his back to her before he replied "Angus told us that all the men were dead and the girl was t........I think she is not alive." Hot tears sprang up in Violet's eyes as she wondered what it was that Sandy had left unsaid.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

"Be that as it may" Sandy continued "We canna go walking up the Earl with no a word of introduction. He would probably take offense to the deer we have taken." With a sick feeling inside Violet asked "Then what will you do with me?" He shrugged and told her "I will leave that to my father. A day and a half of hard riding will see us back home. Another man walked into sight and Violet realized it was the man who had silenced her in the forest. He shot an inquisitive look at Sandy who reacted by saying "James is my cousin. And James, the young lass here is Violet." James nodded brusquely in her direction and told Sandy "The horses ayr saddled." He went back the way he had come. Sandy picked up the wool plaid from the ground and led Violet to where the men waited.
This time she was helped to mount with a little more decorum. They started off as soon as the last man was a-horse. The men passed around hunks of hard bread and cheese. To Violet's surprise, her appetite returned in full force when she tasted food. The last meal she had eaten in the cart seemed years ago. No stop was made at all during the day; though they let the horses walk for stretches of time. They rode through the woods and up streams led by landmarks that Violet could not discern. Afternoon had passed into evening when they crested a rise and came out onto a narrow road. Lights were just barely visible in fading light.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The lights came from the windows of buildings that made up a small compound. Inside the rough stone walls, Violet could see two houses and three barns. Quite a few black and white dogs came out to bark at the mounted group. The commotion brought four men from behind one building. One man was older with graying hair, while the three younger ones were of middling brown coloration. Sandy's raised hand brought the riders to a halt outside the steading's walls. The oldest man from the farm walked forward cautiously, his eyes narrowed in suspicious scrutiny. Violet saw the moment when he recognized Sandy for his eyes flew wide and a crooked smile cracked his face. "Twer a start ye gi' me, milord" he suddenly shouted as his stance relaxed "Yon boys, wun o' ye tell yer Ma we ha' gists. T'others hap wit tee hosses". In spite of her fatigue, Violet interpreted this exchange to mean that the men she rode with were known here and welcome. Of its own accord, the horse that Violet rode followed the others into the barn. In the slightly warmer darkness of the barn, Violet slid from the saddle and stood on shaky legs. She was so far out of her normal experience that she was momentarily frozen with fear. A few deep breaths to gather her courage and she turned towards the house and fell in with the stream of men moving that way.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

A heavy middle aged woman with mouse brown hair stood up as Violet walked in the door. She clouted the young man sitting on a bench in front of her and fussed "Ye dinna say we ha' a fine liddie to hose, ye daft mon." She handed the ladle which she had been using to a younger copy of herself and advanced on Violet like a ship under sail. "Milady" she insisted as she tugged Violet's sleeve "Coom wit me an' ye can ha' er sup privily" With a sigh of resignation, Violet let herself be led through a door into a room lit simply by a fireplace. The woman pointed to a stool on the hearth and told her "If yer liddieship wi' plaes to sit. Weel ha' a table fer ye right awa'" No sooner had Violet sat down then a small table was brought in by a young man. A very young girl that Violet had not seen before followed with two wax tapers set in wooden holders. Violet watched all this activity through an exhausted daze. Gradually she realized that Sandy had come into the room and leaned against the wall to watch her. Plates with steaming food, followed by cups and hunks of bread soon covered the table. This drew Violet's attention away from the man and towards her empty stomach. The stew was bland, but it was hot and filling. The cup held some sort of dark beer which Violet drank sparingly. Various faces had peered through the door while she ate, but no one had ventured to speak to her. 
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

With her plate cleaned, Violet turned away from the tiny table and started to comb out her hair with her fingers. The full length of it hung down and coiled on the flagstone hearth. It took some time and effort but slowly she eased out the knots brought on by rain and wind. "I have never seen such hair on a woman" Sandy's voice cut through her concentration "You must have a soft life indeed." Ignoring his comment Violet asked "Where am I expected to sleep tonight?" The man's face was shadowed by the dim light so his reply caught Violet by surprise "In my bed if there was justice in the world". After a pause he chuckled softly and added "But there is not, so Master Brown and his Goodwife have given up their bed for you tonight. They have even induced one of their daughters to sleep in with you to preserve your reputation." He ducked back through the doorway into the brighter room where everyone else had eaten. Violet sat in dumbfounded silence for only a moment before Mistress Brown bustled in and shooed Violet towards a curtain that had concealed the back half of the room. A young lady followed them. "Martha can hap yer to oondress milady. Shill be guid company fer ye as weel." Violet reached out to touch the woman's work worn hands and whispered "Thank you so much for your kindness." As Mistress Brown turned away abruptly, Violet saw that she had blushed. When Violet was undressed, Mistress Brown sat her down on the edge of the bed and added "Martha kin also hap ye put yer hair up. I ha' a wee cap wut jis mebbe fit yer." Martha's fingers were surprisingly deft as she wove Violet's hair into two thick braids. The linen coif went over this and Violet almost felt like herself again. She stretched out on the bed gratefully and passed into exhausted oblivion.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The room was still dark when Violet awoke to the sound of two men arguing softly.
"I say we liv the wee gurl here and send word to the Earl where she kin by foond" stated the first voice. The reply she recognized as Sandy "And what will my father say when he learns we passed by a chance for a fat ransom?" A thump preceded the response "Yer father has noot to bare onnit. I seen yer sniffin after the wee chit lak a houn' on scent. Tis trouble lak that weel see ye keeled soon eno'." There was a rustle followed by the scrape of wooden bench on stone floor. "Not this time" Sandy said "I ha' a sore head. Get the men up and moving as soon as can be. I want to be gone before light." Another thump and more scraping could be heard before a door slammed and left the room in silence. Violet shook Martha awake and whispered "Please help me dress quickly." Rather sleepily she climbed from the bed. The heavy velvet dress had mercifully been dried out by the fireplace. Martha had barely finished with the lacings when Mistress Brown came into the room. "Tis guid that ye are aboot" she exclaimed "Himself wist to be ridin' befuir dawn." She handed Violet a small loaf of bread with a cup of milk. She paced around the room muttering as much to herself as out loud "The mon ha' no sense of monners. Tis weel eno' for those wut kenna sho' hospitality lak decent folks. Lak as not the liddie weel go thinkin' this hose is no better tan a robber's den." She had gone out to the main room during the end of the last few words, and Violet saw no reason not to follow her. James followed by Sandy stepped in the front door. James face was set in stone while Sandy's more closely resembled a small boy caught in the creamery.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

When the last man was mounted, James led the mismatched cavalcade out the gate of the farmstead. It did not take long for Violet to notice that the deer carcasses were no longer in evidence. It would not have surprised her to find that some of the meat had remained with her erstwhile hosts. Now that she was rested and had her wits about her, Violet noticed that the men contrived to keep her near the center of the group. Did they think she would bolt with no idea of where she was? As they followed the road, crofts and farms clustered more densely along the route. Only once during the day did they come to a halt. Not being used to such long hours in the saddle, Violet was happy for the respite. No one said anything to her, but most of the men kept a watchful eye on her movements. Once or twice she caught a look from Sandy that included a feral smile. A cold wind came up in the afternoon and continued to blow fiercely through the rest of the day. A gray rock cliff that they had been slowly working their way towards resolved itself into a imposing stone keep. One of the men in the lead urged his horse into a gallop and disappeared over a rise in the road. The rest continued the steady pace they had been holding to. As they got closer to the keep, Violet realized that it was not quite as large as it had originally seemed. The road climbed steadily up the hill which gave the castle its imposing height when seen from the valley. A few men could be seen above the gate and along the outer wall. A wide assortment of people passed in and out of the open gate. Many of them stopped to stare at Violet and her escort. There was barely enough light for clear visibility when they passed inside the castle.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Sandy's large muscular hand claimed Violet's wrist as soon as she slid from her horse's back. His tanned face was still handsome, but Violet eyed him a bit more warily now. A wicked grin ghosted across his face before he settled into a more serious expression. His grip left no room for resistance as he tugged Violet up the steps into the main hall. Most of the trestle tables were being dismantled and stacked against the walls. On a raised dais on the far end sat a man who was obviously Sandy's father. After he had pulled Violet in front of the man, Sandy shocked her when he dropped to one knee and said "Greetings your Excellency. I have returned." A little belatedly Violet dropped to her knees beside him; all the while she wondered what she had dropped into this time. The green eyes that locked on her face were filled with cold fury "What have you brought home with you this time?" The question was directed at Sandy though the baron's eyes never left Violet's. Her cool gray eyes met his with calm resolution. "Tis a ward of the Earl's that we rescued from an untimely fate" Sandy answered calmly. The baron's voice boomed again "Is this true girl?" Violet spared a tiny glance at Sandy before she replied "Yes my lord. It is true in the narrowest sense." It was only then that his eyes left her face to rest on his son's.
After a heavy sigh the baron told him "bring her back to my chambers. We will speak there." He got up from his chair and dropped his hand on the shoulder of a slight pale woman who sat next to me. They exchanged a wordless glance before he walked to a door behind and to the left of the table. After only a moment, Sandy scrambled after him, leaving Violet to follow on her own.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess