News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mail Order Desperation

Started by DT_Masters, September 21, 2008, 03:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DT_Masters

Well, sort of.

The clock is ticking down to the opening of TRF and I'd like me, my character, Time Traveling Anthropologist Jonathan Kidd, to start going a little bit native. Nothing too complex, a wealthy landsman who decided to become an adventurer, a Guliver of a sort.

Catch is, I only have one catelog and that's pyramid collections which doesn't have much men wise. Black or white poet shirts

Can anyone recommend other places, preferrably with web sites? It doesn't have to be terribly realistic and if necessary, I'll only go slightly native on this trip.

And, of course, native or not, I am there to take pictures.

Celtic_Fae

Ebay would be my first suggestion. Sellers have a variety of shipping times, but you can pretty much find whatever you want and, most times, for a good price that beats those of the catalogues.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

So many places sell men's shirts like poet shirts. Toki's favorite is Ravenswood Leather. They are very fast on ths shipping if you tell them you need it right away. Don't expect much email from them however. Calling them works best to check on status or if you have questions.

There are many, many others and just do a google search for mens renaissance shirt or mens poet shirt or mens swardsman shirt. You can do the same with Ravenswood Leather.You can also search Pirate shirt and find the same thing.

I'd go with Ravenswood. They cary all colors from Black to white, to red and blues and many other's
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

DT_Masters

Thank you..............

..............any suggestions on pants, boots, hat ................ and what might be appropriate for a well to do non noble?

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Boot's it depends on what you want to spend. Most will take longer to get to you. But I will suggest CABoots. Most are not going to be cheap, but will last. Remember you get what you pay for. Those that are cheap will not last many visits and in the long run cost you more. They may not also be as comfy to be in all day longs. Do a search on Pirate Boots or Renaisance boots

Pants I will suggest The Tudor shop but once again an search of men renaissance pants will find you something.

Hat's The Tall Toad is good as is Ravenswood Leather. They are cheaper. If you want a cavilier type hat expect to pay in the $125 or more range. Hats from Ravenswood run about $35 for the Tudor hat or the Tam. Once again do a search on renaissance hats or cavalier hat or pirate hat and you should find what you are looking for.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

dragongirl

Another option is the Renstore, they have an extensive online store and oodles of choices.  As for hats, Tall Toad is excellent quality and ships very quickly.  However, order one size up from what you need if you want to dim bulb the hat and these are cool/cold weather hats only.  For boots, my advice is to go either medival moccosans or sandler.  I also advise to wait until you get there and if they have a cobbler shop on ite, buy them there.  Thaat way you can assure fit, comfort and style are what you truely want.  You can also get a pair or inidan boots like Minnatoka(sp) that are not as expensive and very comfortable and can be fornd in mundane stores.  A basic belt, shirt, pants, boots, hat, and vest should be fine no matter what persona you have. 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

www.museumreplicas.com has nice products for garb like shirts, pants, etc. at reasonable prices. I order from them from time to time for things for myself when I do not have the time to make it myself.

Also www.verymerryseamstress.com is another terific site to order what ever you may need for Men's Garb.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

While I would 2nd Lady Kathleens suggestion for www.verymerryseamstress.com the problem you will have there is it takes time to have something made. TRF starts in less than a month and even something simple make take over a month.

If you have time to have something made say a three or more month notice, The Very Merry Seamstress would be a great place to start as would Lady Kathleen both give top notch garb.
"The Metal Maiden"

gem

www.sofisstitches.com (very nice upscale basics, off-the-rack. I 've never ordered from them, just purchased in person at KCRF, so I can't speak to shipping, etc.  Milord loves their stuff.)

www.renstore.com (sizing runs small)

www.museumreplicas.com (I'd personally call for a catalogue; their website is abysmal, but they do have some nice clothing &c.)  I like MRL a lot as merchants, but www.realmcollections.com carries a lot of the same items, and their website is a little easier to navigate.

As for footwear, if you're going for historical accuracy, shoes were actually far more common than boots (altho' boots were worn).  www.ladyorensmedievalshoes.com is a good start (she's a forum member), or you can go with some nice mundane shoes that would pass for period, like Land's End's Comfort Mocs.

I think if you're in a hurry, though (and you are), your best bet may really be ebay.  I've never ordered garb off ebay, but whenever I need something fast (like vacuum filters, or a copy of a used book, or whatnot), I try ebay first.  Small merchants tend to get stuff out to you faster.  Alternately--stock up on the very basics: breeches and a shirt--before opening day, and buy your jerkin/doublet, hat, pouch, belt, etc from your local merchants at Fair!

Have fun!

DT_Masters

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm going to MiddleFaire this weekend so I'll check that out before ordering anything.

I think my biggest advantage with mail order is that a lot of them take Amex ...... and a lot others don't.

The more native my time traveler can go, the better, but if I can't on the first trip, it's not such a great loss. I have odds and ends to go with my fantasy and if our autumn weather holds, there is that llama wool parka to put over it all.

Just like to get more into the game although when one is primarily, practically singularly a photographer, doesn't even go to the beer halls, how much into the game can one get.

But again, thank you for your suggestions.

Wolfden

Another suggestion for shirts, if you are still looking after faire this weekend, is www.renshirts.com. Excellent quality and selection with super fast shipping They even email you a link so you can watch them make your shirt on their webcam.

Yrose

Depending on how much you want to spend and what your looking for in boots the House of Ander boots are fast. I got my husbands in 3 days. See this post for info on them.
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=3018.0
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

genasguy

Quote from: Wolfden on September 23, 2008, 12:23:41 AM
Another suggestion for shirts, if you are still looking after faire this weekend, is www.renshirts.com. Excellent quality and selection with super fast shipping They even email you a link so you can watch them make your shirt on their webcam.

Good suggestion- and they will be at MiddleFaire this weekend and next.  So since you'll be there too....
Well, I was there,  and there wasn't much of anybody else there, and well...it just seemed a good idea at the time...

DT_Masters

Thank you all for your suggestions.

As it was, renshirts was able to "provide" me with a decent long sleeve shirt and wrap pants ...... the shirt was even cheaper than what it would be out of mail order. So I should be more in garb come TRF ............ if I can figure out how to wear the wrap pants.

It won't be complete but that's part of the fun, isn't it, building along the way.

While I do have a real sword, from my belly dancing days, I don't intend to use that; need to figure out how to build something that looks like a rapier (foil or edged) in its scabbard. Plan on using some of my sashes, also from my belly dancing days for the "belt".

Cross fingers, schedule and nerve wise!