News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Now that the season is over.....

Started by kilted one, September 29, 2008, 05:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilted one

.....is anyone going to be visiting any other faires?  I am personally up in the air about trying to get to PA or MRF.  Never been to PA and I am soooooooooo anxious to get back to Maryland soon.  What is anybody else up to?
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

anne of oaktower

Decisions, decisions...travel to PARF or MRF,  or put a fireplace in the living room? 

Blast!  Why can't I have both?
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Kip

I would like to go to another festival and have fun. Im up for it

Angus_Cutter

A couple of us are planning on going to Penn Ren on Oct. 19th.  If anyone else wants to make the trek with us, that would be soo kool...

Alice

Now wouldn't it be cool if a bunch of us showed up at another faire in our garb to show 'em a little bit of our unique Pittsburgh flavor? :)

Personally I really wanna check out another faire, as I haven't been to any others and have nothing to compare ours to, so when people say "oh this one is a lot smaller than (insert faire here)" I've no idea just how small we're talking haha. But I dunno if anywhere's gonna have a cast as great as ours. :P
- Alice Baker, baker's daughter -
Best buns in the shire.

Professor M

Alice, at the risk of inviting bad puns, you'll find that the size of the fair doesn't necessarily matter.  Each faire has it's own personality.

When we were at MDRF last year, Terry and Kip had an initial reaction of "Wow!  We wish Pittsburgh could be as big as this!"  Then after a few hours, they were saying "This is too big.  We hope Pgh never gets as big as this."  For every gain there is also a loss.  While we are a shire, Revel Grove (MDRF) is a town.  The shops are great, but some of the shows are performed at huge theaters and it's hard to get personal with the stage acts, or even the street cast, because it's just so darned crowded.

That same day, we ran into someone from the Virginia RF.  They set up tents in a field for their fest.  He told us that they come to Pittsburgh and hope that they can someday be like US.

It's great to go to other faires, and compare their strengths and weeknesses to ours.  I think you'll come away with 1) great new inspiration, and 2) an appreciation for how good we have it in Pittsburgh.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

kilted one

Quote from: Angus_Cutter on September 30, 2008, 06:12:57 AM
A couple of us are planning on going to Penn Ren on Oct. 19th.  If anyone else wants to make the trek with us, that would be soo kool...

We may have to start our invasion plans.  (Maniacally starts rubbing hands together and begins to laugh)
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Barbarizia

re: Penn Ren Oct 18-19.  If any of you remember about 5 years ago or so, when Clann an Drumma made that amazing surprise appearance - blew the leaves right off the trees -they have reformed as Albanach and will be at PARF Oct 18-19.  Reason enough right there to make the trip.
Also, our very own Malarky will be singing for ale the whole month of October.  Sounds like a visit may be in order.  Any suggestions where to stay?

malarky

One option is Pinch Pond Campground.  I've stayed there before - it's nice.  No guarantees about how quiet it can be though.  It can be pricey, and it's also camping in mid-October.  Bring a space heater.

If you go to this site:
http://www.parenfaire.com/lodgingpackages.html

There are options for lodging thru the PARF website.  I've stayed at the Hampton and it's very nice - spendy tho.  There are two tiny, cheap hotels within eyeline to the PARF grounds.  They're cheap.  No guarantees on whether or not you share a room with a bug or two, but I've never seen anything crawl in my room while staying there - just heard stories.

Scarlett

A merry bunch of pub patrons is going to MDRF to close it down on 10/18-19.
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

April

I would love to go.  PGH is the only one that I have been to.  Keep me posted on any plans or car pools, please!
God bless ye all!  Can anyone tell me why the Drambuie is gone again?

Scarlett

Quote from: April on October 01, 2008, 11:35:00 PM
I would love to go.  PGH is the only one that I have been to.  Keep me posted on any plans or car pools, please!

April?  My shopping buddy April?  If that's you my dear, send me and email.

LadyK

Scarlett

Lady Katrina is going to be at MAryland for their closing weekend... 18-19.    let me know who is going.  looking forward. 

Morwyn

Quote from: LadyK on October 02, 2008, 07:06:10 PM
Scarlett

Lady Katrina is going to be at MAryland for their closing weekend... 18-19.    let me know who is going.  looking forward. 

me!  me!  ...and the usual suspects   ;D   It is promising to be a great final Huzzah to our season (I know, I know, Scarlett...never say final.....there are faires in November....)

Scotsman

I'm going to MD as well ... wait, I live there!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Scarlett

Quote from: LadyK on October 02, 2008, 07:06:10 PM
Scarlett

Yay!  Another Morelandshirer to add to the list.  As Morwyn stated, the usual suspects are making the journey.  I started a post on the Maryland board which includes an inclusive list so far.  Hopefully, April will be able to join the fun, as well as BJ and Kevin.  The MORE the MERRIER!

I added you to the list Lady Katrina!

Lady de la Warr

Quote from: kilted one on September 30, 2008, 10:57:32 AM
Quote from: Angus_Cutter on September 30, 2008, 06:12:57 AM

We may have to start our invasion plans.  (Maniacally starts rubbing hands together and begins to laugh)

All - just so you all know - many R/F folks will be invading PARF the following weekend - Oct 25 and 26 to close them down for the year.  MDRF closes Oct 18 and 19 and there will be many R/F folks at MD that weekend.

So if you would like to join the R/F invasion at Parf the 25/26 weekend we'd love to have you all!

Or for that matter - we'd love to have you help close down MDRF too!

April

Quote from: Scarlett on September 30, 2008, 04:14:25 PM

I may be driving solo... Is there anyone who needs a travel buddy that knows where we are going?  It would be my first MDRF and I could use a co-pilot.  Plus, I have ADOS...Attention Deficit Ooooo Shiney! So, I don't want to get lost. 

DuCoeur

Syrac and I will at Revel Grove (MDRF) for their closing weekend.

CRF is still not entirely off the books either....
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Scarlett

Quote from: April on October 05, 2008, 12:15:14 AM
Quote from: Scarlett on September 30, 2008, 04:14:25 PM

I may be driving solo... Is there anyone who needs a travel buddy that knows where we are going?  It would be my first MDRF and I could use a co-pilot.  Plus, I have ADOS...Attention Deficit Ooooo Shiney! So, I don't want to get lost. 

I hope you find a travel buddy to make the trip with April!  We'd love for you to join the ranks for the invasion!  Anybody interested - give April a shout.

metalcelt

I am working at the Wild Rose Ren Faire for one more weekend. Come on up and have a look around. It is a small Faire only in its 2nd year and a good cast with a unique look at the period. You can find them online at http://www.wildroserenfaire.net/

Sarai

Quote from: metalcelt on October 22, 2008, 09:03:57 AM
I am working at the Wild Rose Ren Faire for one more weekend. Come on up and have a look around. It is a small Faire only in its 2nd year and a good cast with a unique look at the period. You can find them online at http://www.wildroserenfaire.net/

Is this in Erie?

metalcelt

Columbus Township, about an hour from Erie

anne of oaktower

The largest town near WildRose RenFaire is Corry, PA.  (My old stomping grounds.)  Fastest way to get there from Pgh is probably straight up Rt 8 to Union City, then East on Rt 6. 

April

How far is it?  I'm going to Lancaster on Sat for theirs.  About 4 hours away for me if anyone is interested.  Short notice, i know, but i'm goin'!  ;D

anne of oaktower

Quote from: April on October 23, 2008, 04:26:37 PM
How far is it?  I'm going to Lancaster on Sat for theirs.  About 4 hours away for me if anyone is interested.  Short notice, i know, but i'm goin'!  ;D

I couldn't say how far it is from you...depends on where you live and which route you choose.  It's a two hour trip for me, but I don't live in/near Pgh so I take a different route. 

Enjoy PARF!

metalcelt

From Pittsburgh it is about 2 and 1/2 hours. I go route 79 to Edinboro, take Rte 6N E stay straight on to Rte 6 Follow Rte 6 through Union City and then Corry. Bear left on to Route 957 and it is about 4 1/2 miles from there