News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Winter Diversions?

Started by Craigmeister, October 03, 2008, 11:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

Fall is upon us.  There are only a few more Renaissance Faires I can attend over the next 5 weeks.  After that it will be too cold around northeast Oklahoma to attend any outdoor faires.  I'll have to wait 5 l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g months until the Norman Medieval Faire.

I remember last winter dragging on way too long before faire season started again.  What does everyone else do to get their Renfaire fix during the cold months?  Watch Ren-themed movies?  Play Ren-themed video games?  I'm looking for something new or creative to undertake.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Amras Elfwine

Spend lots of time here....:-)

Good sir, live life to the fullest extent in the Spirit of Ren is what we do!
We Marylanders have get togethers here occasionally during the winter, and
don't need any excuse at all to "Kilt Up!"

(You indeed must see me singing "The Time Warp" or "Sweet Transvestite" from Rocky Horror Pictureshow, wearing a kilt, in a Pasadena, Maryland Karaoke dive, to fully appreciate the meaning of the word "bravery"...

Plus, plan and work on garb, faire favors, research, etc. to get ready for the new season.

And, the ultimate...learn to play the sackbut...because the place can always use more sackbut players!

Huzzah!

R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

theChuck

Quote from: Craigmeister on October 03, 2008, 11:49:09 AM
Fall is upon us.  There are only a few more Renaissance Faires I can attend over the next 5 weeks.  After that it will be too cold around northeast Oklahoma to attend any outdoor faires.  I'll have to wait 5 l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g months until the Norman Medieval Faire.

I remember last winter dragging on way too long before faire season started again.  What does everyone else do to get their Renfaire fix during the cold months?  Watch Ren-themed movies?  Play Ren-themed video games?  I'm looking for something new or creative to undertake.

ha! glad i'm not the only other person asking this question. up here in the northeast it's been cooling off, but i can't really justify a reason to get all dressed in garb and go somewhere. how i wish there were some winter faires. :[
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Blushing

Last winter I attended a Renaissance/Medieval themed banquet and performance with a group of friends.  Out entire table was dressed as good or better than most of the cast!  But they loved having us.  But even nobles AND a cloak isn't wamr enough when it's 12 degrees F outside - and that was just waiting for our "chariot" to come around.

I also work on faire related projects during winter - listening to faire music of course!  It's a great time to get all my photos sorted and in albums.

And there's always times with faire friends!  We always seem to have a few ideas floating around for things to do - right now a group may be gathering t visit a haunted house, where several of our friends work.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Dallan

Well this probably won't help you much since there's only a few of these around but we take the family to Medieval Times in the middle of the winter. http://www.medievaltimes.com/home.aspx.
Fight'n

Synikul

Sci-fi conventions, they don't mind if you wear your ren garb, and you're sure to run into other rennies.

DonaCatalina

SCA events and sewing.........
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Athena

Reading, crafting, and sewing!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Getting my DORKNESS on and playing AD&D 3.5 with Toki and friends, Snow shoeing
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Lady Amy of York

Getting ready for the holidays, watching the snow  come  down,  decorating the house  for Christmas, Christmas shopping,  watching  the  snow  come  down,   spending time  with family  and pets, playing in the snow,  reading,    watching movies,    watching the snow come  down,  (  did i mention we sat a record here last year  for the most snow in one week.     120  inches of  snow !)
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Craigmeister

Thanks for all of the good suggestions.  I had thought about tweaking & cropping all the pix in my albums.  I've also just signed on to Renspace.com.  That should be fun making blogs & adding pix there.  I've recently been prodded to set up a tent at faires.  I don't have anything to sell.  If I go through w/ this, I'll hand out info on all the faires w/i 2 days' drive of northeast Oklahoma.  Lots of faires here go unnoticed do to a lack of advertising.  Working out the details on that is intriguing.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

will paisley

This might not help you in Oklahoma, but in the DC area I'm able to move into the 18th century, what with a fair number of historical sites in the area, a harvest ball in November, Washington's Birthnight Ball in February, and Colonial Williamsburg's Grand Illumination about 100 miles away throughout the Christmas season.  If you prefer to stay in the 16th century or earlier, look around for a madrigal feast in your area, or a Renaissance Christmas performance.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Frederic

Twelfth Night - The Chorous of Westerly (Rhode Island) has a wonderful one every year.
Merchant of the Hansa, Procurer to the Queen, and complete scoundrel

Var Greyshadow

We go Victorian for the holidays at Galveston's Dickens on the Strand.  After the holidays, there's Mardi Gras fun (actually got to dress as pirates last year) and the Houston Rodeo (Lawrence goes to the cook-off looking like a ringer for Doc Holliday from "Tombstone").

Music is always a good faire fix, and there is usually someone good playing at the Mucky Duck for a live music fix.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Cormac

To get by this winter we are working on upgrading garb, making favors, and I'll be shooting my long bow at an indoor range as there are a couple of faires that offer archery competitions.

We always seem to rush at the last moment to get garb done and things ready for the faire so hopefully be starting in advance we can have more, better stuff without the rush.  Of course I'll be jumping on here from time to time to see what is going on.

Var Greyshadow

Quote from: DonaCatalina on October 21, 2008, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: Var Greyshadow on October 21, 2008, 12:12:27 PM
and the Houston Rodeo (Lawrence goes to the cook-off looking like a ringer for Doc Holliday from "Tombstone").

Now that I would pay money to see!  :D

You don't have to pay!  Here we are at my boat club's wild west theme Poker Run:

I wear the same outfit for Dickens, but with a hoop skirt.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Mairte

Posting and reading the posts here, reading books, renn themed music and movies, planning what I am going to wear to the festivals in the upcoming year..

Craigmeister

All good suggestions.  Fortunately, I now have a website I can work on too.  If anyone wants to visit, see my Renfaire pix, interviews & links at www.meistersrealm.com

Have a Merry Christmas & fast winter!

Lady Renee Buchanan

Now that Steve & I have "corrupted" other friends from Galena into becoming addicted to faire, we've had a couple of dinners at each others' homes.  We wear garb, eat semi-faire food (last time was bangers & mash) & listen to our faire CDs.

We take out the photo albums from the past faires & look through them & laugh & have fun remembering the great times we had.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

iain robb

My winter diversion has been sewing.

In the past couple of weeks I've made a fleece Inverness cape for my wife, a fleece hat for me, and the first part of a new Scottish ensemble, a shirt. (Figured I'd start with the easy one.) OK, that's almost done. I still need to add buttons and buttonholes on the cuffs.

Next up is a kilt, a great plaid and two Highlander vests to go with the outfit, one warm and one fancy.

Delireus

I'm tagging along to my first con ever (anime themed) just for an excuse to wear my new garb before next season :P I was kind of down because I'd have to wait almost a year to go to my next faire until I found out there's one near me in April! Very excited for that :)

I use this time to build up my garb as well, though then I want to wear it but can't for months, hah!
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

DonaCatalina

Right now its sewing since a lot of the last 2 weeks was random days of ice and snow that trapped us in the house. I made a double and slops for his lordship and for myself I reworked a dress. I still have some details to finish with the skirt.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess