News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Long-waisted lass?

Started by Kaymrial, October 05, 2008, 04:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dev

I'm not necessarily tall, but I run into the problem of things being too short if they fit me width-wise and too wide if they fit me length wise, be they normal clothes or bodices.

Nearly all pre-made bodices I've tried on hit around the middle of my ribcage and not my waist, like your friend's problem is.

I got my bodice custom-made from verymerryseamstress.com  It was affordable too.

Kate XXXXXX

I'm long waisted for my height, having a back/waist measurement of 16 and a half inches and being only 5'4".  I often need to lengthen things at the waist by an inch or so.

Kaymrial

Thanks for all the suggestions.  My sister did like the idea of the pirate vest, but I have to say she really loved Damsel In This Dress.  Especially the Pirate style one.  They look really good, with some interesting styles (even if not as period in shape, but she's totally fine with that, considering she's going for pants anyway).  I liked them too, but the only thing that I wasn't as fond of is the fact that they're meant to be worn with a bra, because to me that kind of defeats the purpose of the bodice, lol.  We've also ordered a catalog from Moresca, so we can check out the recommendations.  I liked VeryMerrySempstress.com, also, but she's got her heart set on Damsel. 

Thanks again, guys.

fallenangel1241

I had this same problem, being the 5'11 Amazon queen that I am, until talked to Devlyn from OddBodkin. She recommended adding some inches in length to the bodices she was making me for me (cost about $10-$20 more for custom work) and it has made all the difference. My strong recommendation would be to take a look there or somewhere that offers custom work. You can always, as was suggested, find styles that run longer in the torso area, but coming from someone who has worked in several clothing booths and has done tons of searching for a longer torso-ed bodice, I know it can be hard to limit your choices because of body type. Just a suggestion...good luck!

analise

Quote from: Kaymrial on October 11, 2008, 02:36:40 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.  My sister did like the idea of the pirate vest, but I have to say she really loved Damsel In This Dress.  Especially the Pirate style one.  They look really good, with some interesting styles (even if not as period in shape, but she's totally fine with that, considering she's going for pants anyway).  I liked them too, but the only thing that I wasn't as fond of is the fact that they're meant to be worn with a bra, because to me that kind of defeats the purpose of the bodice, lol.  We've also ordered a catalog from Moresca, so we can check out the recommendations.  I liked VeryMerrySempstress.com, also, but she's got her heart set on Damsel. 

Thanks again, guys.

I've tried mine on both with and without the bra. If you lace it from bottom to top, it holds the "girls" up enough to get away with. But it definitely doesn't bring them up as much as my other bodices. It does look better with a bra, but I found it to still be quite comfortable. Of course, that assumes a good bra fit as well as a good bodice fit. :)