News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Midsummer Exchange

Started by rengeek77, May 12, 2008, 02:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengeek77

I apologize if there were replies to this on the last board, I did not get in to it before it got pirated (heh heh) to check them, so forgive me!

Is the midsummer exchange on for this year?  I know our coordinator was having some "fun times" getting people in shape for the winter exchange, so I didn't know if she was going to pick this up again?  I am always willing to help out if needed to keep it going!  I've enjoyed it the past couple of years! 
Terrible Tess
Captain of the Gangrene
myspace.com/galleonsandgold
flickr.com/photos/prosperoandmiranda

Lord Zenok

I'm sad to say I do not believe she will be doing it this year. That  said feel free to start it yourself. Ask for Help doing it. I will see her Memorial Day and will talk to her about it.

divapixie

I would love to participate this year as well... let me know if anyone decides to spearhead this.
"I have the heart of a child... in a jar on my desk."

Emerald Shaunassey

I dinnae mean to be rude or sarcastic but, could someone please explain to me what this MidSummer Exchange be? 

Thanks ever so much!  :)
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

rengeek77

Hello Emerald!

During Midsummer and the winter holidays, we have a gift exchange with anyone on the board who wishes to participate.  Whoever facilitates it will collect names of those interested, and then assign them to the other participants (and yes, it is a surprise!).  The participants fill out surveys showing their interests, in order to help out with gift ideas.

I am happy to try to get this thing going, BoomBoom has offered to be my co-sucker. :D  So I will sort through old emails and see if I can't find the survey and get that up, and we'll get going! 
Terrible Tess
Captain of the Gangrene

Lavender

I would love to participate again this year.  I still owe Lord Zenok a hug for all the wonderful goodies he sent me last year.  This was last years survey...

1 .Favorite Color:
2. Hobbies: 
3. Do you wear jewelry, what type (ex. rings, earrings, necklaces, also gold or silver) and size where appropriate:
4. One interesting fact about yourself:
5. Favorite Movie/Book:
6. One word to describe you:
7. Anything else you wish to include:
8. Those who know me IRL and on the Forum :
9. Do you have an R/F pin? 
10. Allergies??
IWG #3440
Landshark #19

peggyelizabeth

This sounds like my kind of fun!  Is there a set dollar amount to spend?

Lady Ann of Draycott

Quote from: peggyelizabeth on May 22, 2008, 09:30:06 AM
This sounds like my kind of fun!  Is there a set dollar amount to spend?

I believe there was a minimum, something like a postage stamp to send your exchange person a letter or something, but there was no maximum.  I was told you could spend as much as you want! :)

I know a lot of people made things to help keep the cost down because the gifts do not have to be purchased they can be handmade too.

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Master James

Count me in!  I really enjoy this!  Thank you for agreeing to be the head sucker ....er... coordinator for this fine tradition!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Lady Ann of Draycott

Count me in too! I loved doing the Winter Exchange last year.  Thanks rengeek77 and BoomBoom for taking this over.  Let us know what we need to do and when you want to get started!  ;D
Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

girlmacbeth

Please count me into please thank you

rengeek77

Thanks for responding everyone, and THANK YOU for the survey Lavender!

So here's how it will go down, just like always...please email me your name (both faire and "real", as well as your mailing address) at rengeek77@hotmail.com.  No need to send it in word or anything.  I will give everyone until May 29th, one week from now, to do that, and then on the 30th, we'll get them sorted, matched and sent out. 

Please fill out the survey that Lavender posted, and feel free to add information to the survey, if there is something more you feel your person should know!  Just post it on this forum, as always. 

Since we got started on this a bit late, we'll extend the deadline.  Usually the deadline for your partner having received their gift from you is on Midsummer's Day, the 21st of June.  We'll extend that just a smidge (though not too far, as that would defeat the purpose!), and make the deadline a week after MSD, on June 28th.  *****PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not sign up if you think there is ANY reason you will not be able to afford, make or send a gift to your exchange partner. That is very unfair to them, and if you are just flat broke right now, or leaving on vacation or WHATEVER, you can always join in our winter exchange.*****  If there is some amazingly unforeseen circumstance that will prevent you from sending your package on time or at all, please let me know as soon as you can!! 

I know some were asking price limits, ideas, etc...as already stated, minimum is price of a stamp, maximum is whatever you like!  I know people have received books, candles, incense, calendars, photo albums, pirate sashes (I wore it to New Orleans, thank you again!!), jewelry, etc...shop or make, whatever fuels your creative fire!

And last but not least, once you have received your gift, it is kind of a tradition to give a thank you here on the forum to your exchange partner!  Have fun everyone!  I'll be checking my email for those names!
Terrible Tess
Captain of the Gangrene

rengeek77

Oh, I guess I would like to add a couple of questions to the survey.  Here it is, I added my questions at the end:

1 .Favorite Color:
2. Hobbies: 
3. Do you wear jewelry, what type (ex. rings, earrings, necklaces, also gold or silver) and size where appropriate:
4. One interesting fact about yourself:
5. Favorite Movie/Book:
6. One word to describe you:
7. Anything else you wish to include:
8. Those who know me IRL and on the Forum :
9. Do you have an R/F pin? 
10. Allergies?? (in case someone bakes for you)
>>>11. Favorite scents? (in case someone gets you candles, incense, etc.)
>>>12. Home faire and other faires regularly attended?
Terrible Tess
Captain of the Gangrene

rengeek77

Here is PeggyElizabeth's survey, first one posted!  Feel free to post yours on here at any time, we don't have to wait until the 30th. 

1 .Favorite Color: purple, but I also love pink & green

2. Hobbies:  sewing, reading, community theatre

3. Do you wear jewelry, what type (ex. rings, earrings, necklaces, also gold or silver) and size where appropriate: I wear pretty much everything, but I don't usually wear dangly earrings. I wear both silver and gold, sometimes at the same time.

4. One interesting fact about yourself: I was the 5th generation of women in my family to attand the same university.

5. Favorite Movie/Book: Shakespeare in Love, The Great Gatsby

6. One word to describe you: nerdy

7. Anything else you wish to include: I'm Pagan, but not Wiccan

8. Those who know me IRL and on the Forum : The Baron and Baroness

9. Do you have an R/F pin?  not yet

10. Allergies?? (in case someone bakes for you) malt, lavender, chamomile, juniper (no gin)

11. Favorite scents? (in case someone gets you candles, incense, etc.) I'm not really into smelly things, I'm allergic to a bunch of stuff, so I tend to stay fragrance free, but I do love almond

12. Home faire and other faires regularly attended? Minnesota is home,  I also visit Bristol once each season.
Terrible Tess
Captain of the Gangrene

rengeek77

My survey:

1 .Favorite Color: green and grey
2. Hobbies:  faire, of course, pyracy, of course, gardening, sewing, jewelry making, reading historical biographies, writing snail mail, walking, playing with my fuzzy black kitties, collecting black cat stuff, collecting cheesy snow globes from all over, taking photos, playing the concertina, cooking....
3. Do you wear jewelry, what type (ex. rings, earrings, necklaces, also gold or silver) and size where appropriate:  I love silver jewelry, and I love thick strappy bracelets. 
4. One interesting fact about yourself: I studied medieval history here at KU for 3 1/2 years. 
5. Favorite Movie/Book: TOO MANY TO NAME!  I love historical books and movies, from all time periods.
6. One word to describe you: NERD!
7. Anything else you wish to include: I am a field editor for a cooking magazine, I LOVE to cook. 
8. Those who know me IRL and on the Forum : Master James, Abagial Fairbottom, Sidra, Jean Pierre Dewell, Malcolm, Nyteshayde (from MySpace!), umm...not sure who else is on this forum again yet! 
9. Do you have an R/F pin?  yep!
10. Allergies?? (in case someone bakes for you) shellfish...so probably not a concern. ;)
11. Favorite scents? (in case someone gets you candles, incense, etc.) fresh mowed grass, almond, bread, patchouli, sandalwood, neroli, cinnamon, any kind of baked goods really, the smell of CLEAN
12. Home faire and other faires regularly attended? KCRF, St. L RF
Terrible Tess
Captain of the Gangrene