News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Asthma

Started by Element of Air, October 09, 2008, 06:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenRobin

How did he fair at the faire?
Loki-terr (in training)

Element of Air

he was actually getting better. he told me that being out helped but he did try to go to work today with the cough and he handed them the sick not from the doctor and coughed, so they sent him home again. So it looks like I am bringing in the money for the moment.

We did not use a dust mask or anything to block his face from dirt but he said he seemed fine. So I have no idea.

Everyone was really worried about him out there though.
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

Thomas Eagle

I hope Chris fells better and I will send positive thoughts out for him.
Honorary Member of the B.S. Crew
Teller of "Memorable" Stories  "Ding" & "D/A"
Part-time Camp Organizer

Lady Amy of York

I have chronic asthma.  Let me say that this fall has been a terrible  year  for asthma  sufferers according   to  the newsletters i get  on asthma.

I use an asthma inhalor  twice a day  as a daily preventative.I am on Advair.  Then when i do get an attack  i have another inhalor  with " Albuterol "  in  it.

Does Chris have a spacer on his  inhalor ?   It is along tube that attaches to your inhalor  and helps to get the medicine into your lungs   better.

Also is the inhalor Chris uses in  powder form, or is it  a mist or spray ?   I found that i had  ahrad time getting the podwer form  into my lungs, so my doctor switched me to the  spray. he  says it works  much better, and  it really  does.

I  also have a  nebulizer  for   real bad attacks.   

I also  when  i am dusting around  the house or going outside in the yard  to do yard work, wear a  allergy/ dust mask  on  my face.

I  would  suggest  having  Chris  see a pulmonary  doctor.  I go to one  every 4-5 months, and he has really done  wonders  for my asthma.

Also  has Chris  ever been tested   for  sleep  apnea  ?  sometimes  people  who suffer from  terrible  asthma  really have  sleep apnea.    The test for it is  safe and harmless.  I have had it done.      They put some monitors on you, and  they watch you while  you sleep  for  3 hours.

But deffinitely get him to see a pulmonary doctor, cause i  know  firsthand, how awful  asthma  can feel and be.

Good luck to you both
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Lady Neysa

For my asthma I use Flovent for prevention and albuterol for attacks.  I've tried Advair, but couldn't stand the feeling of inhaling powder.  Flovent has some of the same ingredients as Advair. 
I must say, I really am not a fan of the "new" environmentally friendly inhalers.  With the old ones I only needed to use 1 or 2 puffs, but now I have to use 3 or 4 to get any relief.  I don't like having to use so much but don't have much choice. 

If he hasn't already another good idea would be to get allergy tests to pinpoint what he's allergic to.  I don't know how they do it now, but they used to prick the underside of your forearm with a bunch of different allergens to see what you reacted to.