News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

" The Secret Lion" a Tudor-era Thriller by C.W. Gortner

Started by Toki Bloodaxe, October 09, 2008, 09:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toki Bloodaxe

I love to read historical mysteries. I really enjoy the settings the characters and the interplay of fact and fiction sorrounding a certain era. But, " The Secret Lion" by C. W. Gortner is an entirely different type of book altogether. This book is an incredibly fast-paced historical thriller set in the time-period of the succession crises caused by the death of Edward VI, Henry VIII's only surviving legitimate male heir. England is experiencing a great deal of political unrest and social upheaval as the young king sickens and dies. Thus,the Duke of Northumberland, Lord Protector of the crown, seeks to increase his already immense power by placing a member of his own family upon the throne. Into this maelstrome comes Brendan Prescott, a foundling raised in the powerful Dudley family and relegated to the role of servant to the rapacious and ambitious Robert Dudley. Brendan becomes privy to all of the court intrigue and corruption of the royal court and must use evry bit of his considerable wits to survive in this Tudor cesspool. Entrusted with a secret message from Robert Dudley to the Lady Elizabeth ( soon to be the Queen Elizabeth I) Brendan goes a bit astray and falls under the captivating spell that Elizabeth Tudor exudes. His life will never be the same after that encounter.
     This book is populated with all of the characters that make Tudor-era novels and histories so very entertaining and exciting. Some of these characters are:  Robert Dudley- the Duke of Northumberland's son, he wants a piece of the royal cake and thinks that only Elizabeth Tudor can give it to him. Frances Brandon- niece of Henry VIII, she wants power so badly that she will throw her own daughter, Lady Jane Grey, to the wolves to get it. John Cecil- royal secretary and confidant, he believes in Elizabeth so much that he will kill to save her- even from herself. Francis Walsingham- spymaster, assassin and man of mystery...which side is he really on? And finally, Elizabeth Tudor- princess, enigma and firery damsel...will she give Robert Dudley what he wants? Will she survive to become Queen?
     As Brendan Prescott serves John Cecil as messenger and spy ( shadowed by the dangerous Walsingham) he also searches for keys to his own past- a past locked away around several mysterious incidences and deaths. And, as Prescott comes closer and closer to the truth about himself, he begins to realize that his very existence might just be one of the greatest threats facing the Tudor Dynasty.
    I cannot reccomend this book enough. It is fast-paced, well-written with an engaging style, and the sometimes difficult material is presented in a tasteful manner that does not insult. Enjoy.   

Taffy Saltwater

Gonna print this & put it in my purse for my next Barnes & Noble schlepp.  Hats off for the FYI, Toki!
Sveethot!