News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Shakeups at the faire

Started by theChuck, April 20, 2009, 10:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theChuck

Hey all. I know this forum has been kinda quiet as of late, so I thought I'd post.

According to Daniel Greenwolf's Livejournal, he was not rehired for the 2009 season. He also notes that a bunch of other people haven't been asked back, either. I wonder what happened; maybe it's due to the economy?

Anyway, he put out a request asking people to write letters to the NYRF demanding that he return. I'm going to write one in the next day or so; if you want to do so as well, there's contact info on his post, which I linked to above.

Man, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for this year...
The Renlist - find faires near you!

SirBlackFox

Be careful with the tone of any such letter. . .  making it a "demand" will tend to piss off the mgmt. and they'll never hire him back.  E.D.'s do what they think is best for the faire, bringing back some acts while hiring new folks. . .just to mix it up a bit.

Keep in mind that if not one Rennie came through the gates, they'd still have over 100,000 people visiting each season.

Also keep in mind that you've not attended the faire yet this season and seen the entertainment line up.  IMHO, I'd give the new line up a chance and not judge the hiring practices of a faire just because a "favorite" isn't there.

It's like having a new president. . . give 'em a shot before passing judgement.
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

theChuck

fair enough. still, every time i saw greenwolf last year, there was a large crowd around. so.. iunno. *shrug*

laedyfaire

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: theChuck on April 20, 2009, 10:58:26 PM
Hey all. I know this forum has been kinda quiet as of late, so I thought I'd post.

According to Daniel Greenwolf's Livejournal, he was not rehired for the 2009 season. He also notes that a bunch of other people haven't been asked back, either. I wonder what happened; maybe it's due to the economy?

Anyway, he put out a request asking people to write letters to the NYRF demanding that he return. I'm going to write one in the next day or so; if you want to do so as well, there's contact info on his post, which I linked to above.

Man, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for this year...

I heard a bunch of changes but then I've also heard that its always changing year to year ( ? )   Personally I've spent all this time trying to get the Flirts of Fancie invited back.

I don't know if they'll make it, and I'm not sure what exactly is the driving factor behind the decision ( Praise/Complaints, Revenue, Content? ).   

In any event, this year I managed to save a little all year long so I have a bigger budge. Those $7 drinks and $6 chili bowls killed me last year LOL  It adds up! Especially that booze! I dont know how people can get drunk at that place at $7 a drink - I mean it takes a lot of beer and these are like.. strip club prices! LOL!

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: SirBlackFox on April 21, 2009, 05:45:16 AM
Be careful with the tone of any such letter. . .  making it a "demand" will tend to piss off the mgmt. and they'll never hire him back.  E.D.'s do what they think is best for the faire, bringing back some acts while hiring new folks. . .just to mix it up a bit.

Keep in mind that if not one Rennie came through the gates, they'd still have over 100,000 people visiting each season.

Also keep in mind that you've not attended the faire yet this season and seen the entertainment line up.  IMHO, I'd give the new line up a chance and not judge the hiring practices of a faire just because a "favorite" isn't there.

It's like having a new president. . . give 'em a shot before passing judgement.

Yeah, this is why whatever I sent to the Fair in letter form, was just a note expressing how much I enjoyed the particular act I was trying to save.   Hopefully if they keep seeing praise for a particular performer it might compel them to decide to bring them back. But who knows.  It's a business after all, the object is to make some money and that might mean losing old favorites.

Honestly as long as the actors are as much fun as they were last year, I'm not too worried about the shows changing around. Though I'd love to see Brother Donald back, I loved that guy.  I bought some of his CDs over the winter for some friends.

I'm curious what they will have this year.

Lairde Guardn

Are the drink and food prices really that high in NY.......What size is the beer that would cost $7.00......

I was planning my first trip to NYRF, but may have to rethink my budget...
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

laedyfaire

Lairde..I think the beers are actually 6  ( Bob, correct me if i am wrong )and they are a good 16 oz.

if you did do make it this year, i am sure you will not be disappointed. the grounds are beautiful ( shady lanes, backdrop of local mountains ), and the atmosphere is top notch ( great acts, music ), great pubs ( especially the Blue Boar which is nestled in the woods ) the pub sing is always a good time too.

come on over! :) LF

claymore

Tuxedo is one of my favorite fairs. Tis true that food is pricey, beers are also but,it is a fun faire. The pub tucked under the trees is great.The one thing that I don't like is paying for a program, seems it should be given not sold.It's a worth the trip faire.

BrotherDonald

I've been telling stories at NYRF (Tuxedo) for the past ten or twelve years.  People they come and they go.  Its the nature of things, I suppose.  IMHO, this year's shakeups are a good thing.  NYRF is doing its best to bring in professional renaissance festival stage shows.  There are still plenty of talented NYC area actors and actresses but this year, we'll also be seeing more people who make a  living as professional renaissance festival entertainers. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Franco the Flying Sorcerer.  He'll only be here for the first weekend.  We used to work renaissance faires together 25 years ago and I haven't seen him for a long time.  I hear he's doing a hypnotism thing now.  The last time I saw him, he was specializing in escapes.....getting locked up with chains and being immersed in water, that kind of stuff.  You like magic, you like Franco.

I'm amazed and delighted that we'll be hosting Arsene Dupin.  This is a VERY high class show.  A genuine Frenchmen who trained with Marcel Marceau.  He does a silent show that has people rolling in the aisles with laughter.  He's only here for the second and third weekend.  DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW!

The Ded Bob Show will be here from weekend 4 through weekend 8.  Its one of the most popular of all nationally touring renaissance festival shows.  People are crazy for this show.  If you don't believe me, go to www.dedbob.com and read some of the emails people send him.  While you're there, sign up for the Smartbombs newsletter.

Lloyd and Rosie, aka Theatre of Fools aka the Wacky Chicken Show will be here for the first three weekends.  These people have been making people laugh at renaissance faires for as long as I've been boring people with my silly stories and that's more than 30 years.  Believe me when I say, you don't survive in this business for that long unless you're good and these two are better than good.....they are masterful.

Hey Nunnie Nunnie will be coming down here to Tuxedo after they complete the season up north at the Sterling show.  Personally, I have a warm spot in my heart for somewhat irreverent religious comedy and these gals fill the bill beautifully.  I am smitten.

Queen Elizabeth will still be here along with the Crimson Pirates and the jousters and Robin Hood and his merry men and the boys of SPLAT theatre with their wet dirt show.  Earth Quest will still be doing their  birds of prey show.  Jungle Jack Hanna said on the David Letterman show that "Steve Hoddy is the best bird handler in the world."  They have also re opened their big parrot house.  The aforementioned talented New York City actors and actresses will be doing Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew and chatting you up in the streets.  Dextre Tripp will still be juggling chainsaws on a tightrope and trying to blow himself up with explosives and his new wife Jana, who you may remember as the girl in the box from Blackenshear's Curious Magic show, will be doing a new show on the flying trapeze.  I haven't seen it yet but I won't be able to say that a week from now.  Blackenshear is still here with his magic show and be sure to catch his music show, too.  Speaking of music, there will be plenty of it.  Musicians too numerous to mention.

I miss Danny Lord and Stewart and Arnold and The Turtle Races and Magical Mystical Michael as much as anyone (probably more) but I know I'll be seeing them all elsewhere sooner or later.  I also miss some of the other renaissance faires I haven't performed at in a while.  This is the way of the renaissance festival entertainment world.  None of us have a steady job and come November, we'll all be unemployed and applying for jobs at new shows for 2010.  The only thing that's constant in this business is change.  This year, we have some very fortuitous changes to look forward to at NYRF.  I, for one, am pleased with the shakeups.
Brother Donald
Abbot
Benevolent Order of Scurrilious Monks

laedyfaire

Thank you for your post, Brother Donald. Much appreciated.

We will definitely check out the performers you speak highly of. As for Nunnie Nunnie, we saw them in Sterling and really loved their show. Being  Catholic ourselves, we found it very, very funny. Catholic or not, they are hilarious! :)

Glad to hear Bret the magician will be there, but I do not see him on the schedule. Will look again.

Here's to another great season at NYRF! Huzzah! LF

theChuck

so, um.. did anyone else notice that there's no performing area at the pub in the back? that's kinda sad; no songs while drinking anymore. :/

faire was nice today, though.

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: theChuck on August 01, 2009, 08:04:00 PM
so, um.. did anyone else notice that there's no performing area at the pub in the back? that's kinda sad; no songs while drinking anymore. :/

faire was nice today, though.

You were there today? Still need to meet up !!

theChuck

Quote from: Brother Robert of Essex on August 01, 2009, 08:23:50 PM
You were there today? Still need to meet up !!

yeah, we went up for a few hours. didn't get there til like 330 'cause traffic coming out of the city was terrible. i may find myself up there again, though. maybe in a few weeks.