News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

So, how was it?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, October 12, 2008, 06:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Gwyndolyn

OOOOHHHHHH  pearls.... I can't wait to see it!!!!  I'm sure if you ask His Majesty he'll kiss every finger at least once... *LOL*
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

Aldwulf

I am glad everybody had a great time and a big HUZZAH!!!!! to everybody who worked their fingers to the bone, every vendor, actor, and show who make it possible. May the Mighty Odin bless this faire for many years to come and let it grow a bit with each season.

Lady Gwyndolyn

Quote from: Aldwulf on October 14, 2008, 09:54:09 AM
I am glad everybody had a great time and a big HUZZAH!!!!! to everybody who worked their fingers to the bone, every vendor, actor, and show who make it possible. May the Mighty Odin bless this faire for many years to come and let it grow a bit with each season.

Can't forget the wonderful security team either!!!  A huge HUZZAH to them for all of their hard work with parking and garbage and  keeping things running smoothly like they did!!!
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Jon Foster on October 13, 2008, 08:37:32 PM
L. Dale Walter, were you running the kids fencing Sunday?
Both days, in my Porthos costume.

Next two weekends it will be John as D'Kahn the Russian, then I will be back to close.

Dale

Jon Foster

Quote from: L Dale Walter on October 14, 2008, 03:21:18 PM
Quote from: Jon Foster on October 13, 2008, 08:37:32 PM
L. Dale Walter, were you running the kids fencing Sunday?
Both days, in my Porthos costume.

Next two weekends it will be John as D'Kahn the Russian, then I will be back to close.

Dale

Got it. I'm still trying to learn who's who. For several years I kinda lurked around taking pictures but last year we figured we'd get into garb and join the rest of you crazy folks!  ;D

Guinevere of Leonesse

Like I said to you Dale at MMRF on Sunday, your hair certainly looks better now than a long haired wig. :D Great picture of you there that Jon posted.
The more you worry, the longer it will take.

L Dale Walter

Quoteyour hair certainly looks better now than a long haired wig.

I liked those wigs.  Gave a great frame with the hat.

There were actually 3 wigs.  One for photos that was HUGE.  One for fights where I hit the ground and ran the possibility of getting junk in it (it was older), and one that was worn for the majority of the stage fights that was not as full as the photo wig. 

No one ever seemed to notice that my hair got longer and shorter over the day.

QuoteFor several years I kinda lurked around taking pictures but last year we figured we'd get into garb and join the rest of you crazy folks!

And I am not in "garb".  It is a costume.  I get paid to wear it.  If I wore it for fun it would be garb.

L. Dale (I am not a Rennie, I am an Actor) Walter

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: uhurainmi on October 13, 2008, 11:30:17 AM
Our court plans to (and did)interact with the patrons MORE than other faires.

Whoah.  :o  Do you realize that in one small sentence, you tossed down quite the gauntlet?

I'm sure you're aware, the area has several faires that are quite competitive with each other, especially in the level of cast interaction. To put in print such a claim could be taken by some people to be a definate challenge. (although...as everyone knows, actors are such a humble bunch.)   ;)

Since more is a subjective word, and you went so far as to use CAPS to emphasise it, you must feel strongly about your efforts. So...I'm honestly curious to know what your benchmarks are.

What faires, or more specifically to your post, as I read it, what Court ensembles have you witnessed that were not particularly interactive?

From what vantage point did you observe the Court? As an occasional or once-a-year-visitor, a regular patron, a cast or crew member? What did you observe them doing instead of interacting?

What constitutes more, as you measure interaction? Is it the number of people interacted with, or is it a percentage of the patrons on site on a given day?

Is 'interaction' as you define it limited to actually speaking to people, or do you include passive lazzi bits and simple acknowledgement (a wave, smile, incline of head) to patrons outside of speaking range?

Do you approach patrons, or do you have them approach you? Do you do endowments, active lazzi bits, or give favors? Does giving out favors matter to you, or do you prefer not to give them?

What portion of the day are you and your ensemble able to be accessible to patrons on a personal level - meaning: not on a stage, or otherwise engaged in a scripted scene?

A high level of interaction is certainly a worthy goal --and if you can empirically prove you do more of it than another faire, then great for your show. You will, however, want to specifically quantify your use of the words of MORE THAN OTHERS, or you're going to have a few people feeling the sting of insult rather than cheering your performance efforts.

If nothing else, your performance will be watched now that you've tossed the gauntlet down on this forum, to see if you've put all of yourself into your peformance, and can lend credence to your statement. 

I extend my best wishes to you and your fellow performers for this season. From the pictures it looks like this faire is going to be a lot of fun.  Good luck to all!

(*yes, even you Frenchmen!    ;) ;D)
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

L Dale Walter

QuoteDo you realize that in one small sentence, you tossed down quite the gauntlet?

Easy there book girl, she didn't say WHICH faires, and may not even have been referring to your show, or MY show even.  Remember I just run a booth at MMRF- not an employee

Many other faires, which I will not name because I don't want to start a war, DO NOT interact with patrons.  One even has a faire culture where patrons are viewed as peasants.  YOU know which show I am speaking of.  I don't the need "Rumble on the Lake" again.  Last time was fun enough...

At Silver Leaf, the show I run, my court works their butt off interacting.  Knights of Iron made their name on interaction, and from Robin Hood through the Musketeers to King Arthur back to Robin Hood, the thousands of photos attest to this.

Not everything is an attack, and I don't think this was.  Personally I have not watched the MRF court since 2005, so I have no idea what they are doing, so I cannot comment.  I can amost certainly guarantee that if they were not interacting, I would have heard.  Why people call me with this stuff is beyond me, but they do...

But I do know if Meg (SLRF's Queen Grace) and her court were not working she would have my boot up her backside.

Just remember, there are 200+ Ren faires in the USA.  Don't be so egocentric...<g>

L. Dale (just a Frenchman popping balloons at $2 a throw) Walter 

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: L Dale Walter on October 16, 2008, 04:15:52 PM
QuoteDo you realize that in one small sentence, you tossed down quite the gauntlet?

Easy there book girl, she didn't say WHICH faires, and may not even have been referring to your show, or MY show even.  Remember I just run a booth at MMRF- not an employee.

/smiling

Oh, no...its cool. I'm easy.

Um...wait a second.... I mean: My britches aren't in a bunch over this. I will admit, however, that it DID raise an eyebrow when I first read it. The minute you compare one fair against another, feathers are going to get ruffled.

I just wanted to point out that her words could be taken more to heart by certain people.

You and I know that stuff like that happens-- people get worked up over that kind of thing-- but other people may not be aware of the effect of words on a forum board. The littlest stuff goes viral when you least expect it.

Many other faires, which I will not name because I don't want to start a war, DO NOT interact with patrons.  One even has a faire culture where patrons are viewed as peasants.  YOU know which show I am speaking of.  I don't the need "Rumble on the Lake" again.  Last time was fun enough...

I would like to think that a positive by-product of that debacle was that you and I got to know each other a bit better. It got us talking. So it wasn't ALL bad.

At Silver Leaf, the show I run, my court works their butt off interacting.  Knights of Iron made their name on interaction, and from Robin Hood through the Musketeers to King Arthur back to Robin Hood, the thousands of photos attest to this.

And so if someone told you they thought your Court wasn't interacting, you'd want to know the details, and do any appropriate butt kicking that was warranted. Am I right? And it might warrant wearing extra large boots if you had to hear about it on a forum like this.

Not everything is an attack, and I don't think this was. 

No, I don't think she meant to attack anyone. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, popular or otherwise. All opinions are valid.  But I will hold to the idea that someone putting forth their opinion, when asked how they formed it, go into specifics. That is so we can all understand how they got to embrace that opinion, and people can decide whether they agree with it or not.

And I think discourse on interaction itself is good -- as performers, there is merit in sharing our ideas and thoughts about how to interact with patrons. With more and more small faires popping up, more people are making that transition from patron to performer. I don't believe that the basic mechanics of our craft need to be guarded like they are Masonic Secrets.

Personally I have not watched the MRF court since 2005, so I have no idea what they are doing, so I cannot comment.  I can amost certainly guarantee that if they were not interacting, I would have heard. 

Yes, if they weren't interacting, everyone would have been talking about it, since MiRF has a pretty good rep for interaction. If they weren't living up to it, there would be plenty of gossip.

Just remember, there are 200+ Ren faires in the USA. 

Absolutely correct--which is why I asked about the faires she was referring to-- I'm genuinely curious. I want a discussion on levels of interaction, seen from points of view other than my own.

Don't be so egocentric...<g>

Well, demmit. Am I really that transparent?  ;D

L. Dale (just a Frenchman popping balloons at $2 a throw) Walter 

I hear you can get that done for less in the seedier areas of Paris.  ;D
(aka The Bookwench)

King Henry Tudor

Okay, this whole Court interactions with patrons thing is on the verge of getting out of hand.

First, let me say the person who initially posted the "MORE" comment is, as far as I know, a relative newcomer to being on Cast at a Festival.  She appears to be speaking out of newbie enthusiasm (we've all been there, I'm sure) and is very excited about her new role as one of Anna von Kleve's sisters.

Second, during Opening Weekend our Court did do a lot of patron interactions but I for one was not judging them against a standard of any kind.  In my opinion, MMRF is what it is and other Festivals are what they are and I wish not to compare us to any other as that would not be fair to anyone, least of all us since we have so much to prove being the newbie Festival on the block.

As lead character of this Festival, it does not concern me if our Cast interacts with patrons more or less than other Festivals, I am only concerned about interacting with patrons at THIS Festival whenever we have a spare moment.  At this time, the MMRF Court does not have much that is scripted (just Opening Gate) or scheduled (just Public Court, Parade, and Royal Tea), all the rest of our time is spent walking the lanes and interacting with patrons and merchants or watching a stage act.  Our Cast is there to entertain the patrons and have a fun time doing it, there is no room for competitive or comparison thinking regarding other Festivals as it will just get in the way and drag the entire show down, and no one wants that.

"That's my opinion, I could be wrong."

Jim
King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

nliedel

Comparing casts on faires isn't really fair. All casts I've ever seen work darn hard, (okay, I know one faire, not in MI, where court is not much into interaction, but there are 49 other states and I've been to em all, so no luck getting which one out of me). I know Silverleaf, MiRF both have court casts that get virtually no breaks at all during the day (and you could not pay me to be on court in either of those faires. Not that I'm allergic to hard work, but I like being more of a free agent. I love wandering around on my own). Courts for those faires are all over the place, sunup-sundown.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

L Dale Walter

I personally interacted with everyone who looked like they might like to hit someone with a sword...

QuoteThe littlest stuff goes viral when you least expect it.
Especially when people want it to, as stirring up crap must make them happy.

QuoteI hear you can get that done for less in the seedier areas of Paris.
And now, by special engagement, on the streets of Kleves!

LDW

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: Sir William Sargent on October 16, 2008, 10:58:05 PM
Okay, this whole Court interactions with patrons thing is on the verge of getting out of hand.

First, let me say the person who initially posted the "MORE" comment is, as far as I know, a relative newcomer to being on Cast at a Festival.  She appears to be speaking out of newbie enthusiasm (we've all been there, I'm sure) and is very excited about her new role as one of Anna von Kleve's sisters.

I understand that enthusiasm. I do. And as I now suspect, being new to this, perhaps she didn't realize what kind of effect that statement might have, worded the way it was.  

And honestly, I don't think this discussion is out of hand. It isn't a flame war. Dale and I were having a discussion (with a little humour sprinkled in), and so far, that's all that has really happened with this issue after I pointed it out.

And also remember, I am not now, nor have ever been on the Court of MiRF or any other faire - so I have NO stake in this, other than my sentimental attachments to MiRF being my home faire, and that I have friends who do, or have, busted their butts working Court there.

In my opinion, MMRF is what it is and other Festivals are what they are and I wish not to compare us to any other as that would not be fair to anyone, least of all us since we have so much to prove being the newbie Festival on the block.

Which is also why such a statement as 'we do more...(whatever)' could be offensive to some people.

Yes, every show is a little different. But in the immediate area of MI/OH and probably IN and PA, INTERACTION is an important aspect to all performers at each festival, and there is a rivalry between a lot of faires.

And to a lot of patrons, a Ren Faire is a Ren Faire, is a Ren Faire. Does MMRF have a King/Queen? Does it have Turkey Legs? Does it have Belly Dancers? Then fundamentally, it's not all THAT different than the Faire down the road.

As lead character of this Festival, it does not concern me if our Cast interacts with patrons more or less than other Festivals, I am only concerned about interacting with patrons at THIS Festival whenever we have a spare moment.  At this time, the MMRF Court does not have much that is scripted (just Opening Gate) or scheduled (just Public Court, Parade, and Royal Tea), all the rest of our time is spent walking the lanes and interacting with patrons and merchants or watching a stage act. 

That's great. Then your faire should succeed.

Our Cast is there to entertain the patrons and have a fun time doing it, there is no room for competitive or comparison thinking regarding other Festivals as it will just get in the way and drag the entire show down, and no one wants that.

There is something to be said for setting goals and striving to be regarded as the best -- as long as you never rest, deciding that you ARE the best, and go around gloating about it. Competitive spirit - as long as it remains a friendly competition, is a great way to keep everyone motivated and focused on what is important.

(aka The Bookwench)

Lady Gwyndolyn

If I have taken anything here said to heart, please try to understand.  Four years of traveling and talking and phone calls all over the US to patrons, playtrons, cast, crew, entertainment, merchants, owners, and staff of other festivals.  Getting answers to a simple question, "What would your dream festival be like?"  And let me tell you, it hasn't been easy.  You have this festival against that festival, you have this entertainment troupe against that entertainment troupe, you have this court against that court.  You have this Queen against that King! 

I WILL NOT HAVE IT AT MMRF!!!!

MMRF is not there to be competitive with any other festival.  It is not there to compaire itself to MiRF or Silverleaf or Mayfaire or ORF or any other festival.  It is it's own identity.  We set our selves to be different.  We are at a time of year that doesn't interfere with any of the known festivals.  (sorry for GV, I wasn't aware of you at the time).  We delyed a week because of Fishers!  We are doing a type of festival that isn't done here in Michigan!  We are NOT in compitition with anyone!  All we wanted to do was to bring together what everyone wanted into one festival.
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley