News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Flemish Bonnet?

Started by silverstah, May 12, 2008, 02:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverstah

Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Aelwyn

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*
Find me on Facebook as Aelwyn Daeira
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

sealion

I can't say thay I recall ever seeing anything like that before but it sure is cute!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

mollymishap

It has an Anne of Cleaves feel, doesn't it?  But I can't find anything in that exact shape...probably "historically inspired" might be a more fitting description.  Still, it's ADORABLE!!! 

FaireMare

Great Hat.... great thread!

I see the Portrait Goddess is hard at work here too!

gem

You might look into references for "Flemish hoods."  The term is floating around the Web, referring to a number of different things--from the linen headdresses that DC posted, to something rather like a gabled hood... but I think somewhere in there is Wheat Goddess's inspiration.  Here's one picture I found, but don't have a reference for (the woman on the left):

LadyOren

OMG that bonnet is adorable, and you look great in it too.  Sorry not much help on the HA of the item but just had to say it's really an awesome hat!
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

mellingera

Not gonna be much help on the H/A end of things either, but it is adorable and you love it so H/A sort of becomes irrelevant to my way of thinking... Very lovely bonnet, now I want one...  :)

dragongirl

Here is a picture of Anne of Cleves and that does look like the hood she is wearing:
http://tudorhistory.org/cleves/clevesnew.jpg  But it also looks like a modified gable hood that was favored by Katherine of Aragon and Jane Seymor
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

gem

Laura!  I wanted to draw your attention to this painting ("Mary Magdalene Reading") by  Flemish painter Ambrosius Benson:

Her veil looks rather familiar, doesn't it?!