News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A chance meeting

Started by DonaCatalina, May 12, 2008, 03:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

After we had re-wrapped what we had opened we left the room. With some effort, we closed up and latched the door. After we had climbed the stairs I carefully closed up the hidden door beside the fireplace. As we walked once again across the main hall Alexandra said "I suppose that is the end of our explorations." The wistful look on her face spoke volumes. "We could find something different to explore" I told her "How does Egypt sound?"
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

She looked at me in surprise "It sounds like it would be exciting, but I could never manage it". I swallowed the lump in my throat before I continued "Suppose that it was a honeymoon trip?" Her face drained of color and then flushed a most becoming pink. "What exactly do you mean?" she asked. "I apologize for my clumsy way of saying this" I managed to get out "But I am asking you to marry me." I dropped my gaze from her eyes and continued mumbling "I would not expect anything from you except companionship. I realize that the difference in our ages would understandably preclude any affection on your part" At this point I was stopped by Alexandra's hand on my lips. Silently she slid her arm around my neck. My arms went round her of their own accord. Then I could no more have stopped myself from kissing her, than I could have stopped the sun from setting.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Since Rupert was away from the house with some of his guests, I left him a message that stated that I wanted a private meeting with him before dinner. When I had been alerted to his return, I collected Alexandra and waited for him in his private drawing room. What Rupert expected from this meeting, I could just imagine. He entered the room in a good humor which faded as he took in Alexandra's presence. "Good afternoon Uncle" he said guardedly "I understood that you wanted to talk with me confidentially." I got up from my chair and stood behind Alexandra. "I did wish to speak to you in confidence as my closest relative" I told him "I have asked Miss Alexandra to be my wife and she has consented. She will be your aunt in just a few months." My hand dropped to her shoulder and she reached up to touch it with her fingertips. Rupert's face went through several stages of red and white before he blurted "You are old enough to be her father!" My face hardened before I replied "It is possible, but that is none of your concern. Will you not offer your congratulations?" Rupert deflated before my eyes as he watched my money slip away. It took a few moments, but my nephew swallowed any further commentary on Alexandra's age. "Of course Uncle" he finally answered "Congratulations are obviously in order. You will keep me advised as to the date?" I breathed a little easier and replied "Yes. While we don't plan on inviting half of London, I would like my family to come for my wedding. I will keep you apprised of our plans."
Alexandra's hand felt very cold on mine as I queried her "Shall we go get ready for dinner now, my dear?" My heart clenched at the trembling of her lip as she replied "Certainly, I think we've taken up enough of your.....dear Rupert's time." The catch in her phrasing restored my sense of humor.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

I will not say that my life from that point was one of unadulterated bliss. Many of my family and friends were not happy with my new marriage, Rupert chief among them. Rupert was less vociferous in his objections after I guided him on a tour of his own house. What he could garner from his hidden treasures I did not know. But it distracted him from his lost inheritance. Alexandra's mother was happy to move to Hammerlin House. With her came her son's widow and two granddaughters. If she harbored any reservations about her daughter's new marriage, she kept them to herself. The ghosts of my past did not seem so daunting with the house is full of life and laughter again. Alexandra and I continued our love of exploration together, visiting many old and forgotten places. We traveled the world with only a brief pause when she presented me with a son. Our journeys are somewhat slower now with our son along. But we enjoy it all the more as we hope to instill a love of exploration in him.

I have often wondered about what I saw that morning in the old garden. I have gone over the incident in my mind many times wondering if it was real or not. The golden bird figurine has been the most difficult to explain to myself as I know that I had never seen it's like before. But real or not, what I saw saved me from living the remainder of my life as a despairing recluse. At the very least, I have decided that what I saw was a blessing. If not for what I believed that I saw, it is unlikely that I would have returned to the old garden. I would have gone along with Rupert's plans for the week and probably would have never met Alexandra. Years later she told me that she had decided to leave the house that afternoon and return to London. Our chance meeting had changed her mind.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess