News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Noble's purse or pouch......

Started by Lady Ellie, October 13, 2008, 05:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ellie

If dressing as a noble what do you use in place of a purse ? I don't want to carry around a basket all day and I would prefer to wear something on my waist or on my shoulder. My mom has a leather purse that I could possibly borrow for a short time. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm still trying to get my garb figured out.

isabelladangelo

Belt and "pockets".  A small drawstring purse for your wrist.  You can also add a strap to a basket to carry it like a purse.

Kate XXXXXX

If you don't want the hassle of carrying and keeping an eye on a basket all day, and don't want to spoil the look of a noble gown with things dangling round you, some good deep pockets under your skirt and hidden side slits for access are a good way forward.  To avoid the multiplicity of waist strings and belts, you might like to sew the pockets to your underskirt waistband rather than to a waist string.  You could also add a tankard keeper, and keep your drinking vessel out of sight when not in use.

Miranda

I guess the first question should be, what are you carrying?
That makes a big difference in your options.
I carry a small purse on my girdle.  My current favorite, when I just have to carry credit cards, id, and cash, is a "needle book" holding an inconspicuous, plastic wallet insert.  The needle book is light, and unobtrusive.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

gem

Miranda, that is positively *brilliant.*

Miranda

Thanks!  I wish I could claim credit, but I borrowed the idea from someone else....I just can't remember who exactly.
There's a lot to be said for traveling light.
I have also found examples of 16th century built on frames very similar to the one's seen on modern clutch purses, which excites me.
The needle book might have a run on its status as favorite soon.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.