News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help with Antlers

Started by Lady Rae, May 12, 2008, 04:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rae

My SO is dressing as the Great Horned God for a masqueade ball.

Any great ideas on how to add antlers that wont look silly on a man of 6'7"?

jcbanner

whats your goal with them? to look like they are growing from his head, or something he is wearing?

If you want them to look like something he is wearing, I think making a leather cap with them attached to that would look nice. particularly something like an arming cap with a chin strap only made out of leather.  the idea brings the old mythic shamins to mind.

gypsylakat

A hat with a hole cut for them? you could do that, and then you don't have to worry about the attachments showing...

shave a few holes in his hair and super glue them, a bit drastic, but it would work...

you could always  make a wire headband of sorts and slick his hair up around the wire so you can't really see it.

and what kind of antlers? real antlers? fake antlers? Fake will be entirely easier because real antlers will be off balance and heavy after a while... and fake antlers are also easier to drill holes through...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Aelwyn

I make faux antlers.  They are lightweight, bendable and weather proof.  http://www.myspace.com/wingsandfaerythings.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*
Find me on Facebook as Aelwyn Daeira

Lady L

I made a Wood Elf costume for R, aka Hawthorne Decidous Oakwood, a few years ago. What I did was buy some resin antlers and a dark leather covered metal headband. He drilled a pilot hole in the metal headband and into the bottom of the antlers, then put a screw into both. I have pics if you would like to see them. :)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Lady Rae

I would live to see the pics Lady L!

Aelwyn...those are really nice...may I ask what they are made out of that they are weatherproof?  They almost look like fabric....

My current idea and a circlet or crown around the head with a band thar goes over the top that we can attach the the antlers to.  Hopefully we can hide that part in his hair.  I am going for a look of actually growing out of his head....we are going for more a FA forest king look...kind of spiffed up hunter....with horns....

Ok...so it looks better in my head than I describing it!!

Aelwyn

They are not fabric, they are made from foam.   :D  The clear coat I use over it is weather proof as well. 
Find me on Facebook as Aelwyn Daeira

StanleyIndraven

Im surprised no one has asked, but exactly what kind of horns are we talking about?  Ram horns or deer horns are most popular with the latter being much larger, and therefore may be a poor choice for a man of such height.  If you go for fake you might want to stay away from anything made of clay or similarly heavy material.  If you go with real, im guessing you would have a hard time finding ram horns, but i dont know your contacts so i cant be sure.

tigrlily64

Quote from: StanleyIndraven on May 13, 2008, 04:51:10 PM
Im surprised no one has asked, but exactly what kind of horns are we talking about?  Ram horns or deer horns are most popular with the latter being much larger, and therefore may be a poor choice for a man of such height.  If you go for fake you might want to stay away from anything made of clay or similarly heavy material.  If you go with real, im guessing you would have a hard time finding ram horns, but i dont know your contacts so i cant be sure.

I'm pretty sure antlers normally refer to deer.

analise

Could be moose antlers!  :D

Er, anyway, my first thought for antlers was actually something like this: http://oddiments.com/oddiments_files/galleries/greenman_masks.html (scroll down a bit) but I see you want something that looks more like "real" antlers so I've got no good suggestions for that beyond what's already been said.

Lady L

My thought was "great horned god" meant Cernunnos, not sure of the spelling, but he is depicted with stag/deer antlers.

I forgot to mention that the resin antlers I found at Menard's before Christmas, as they were supposed to be a tree ornament. You never know where you might find things.  :)
I am going to go look for the pic, now.

Lady L

The antlers are not attached to the leather mask.

Lady L

I made mine the same way.

Lady Rae

Yes, deer-stag type antlers.

I really like those Lady L.....they are the right size and shape to be noticeable....without looking cartoonish....hmmmm...

Once Debauched

If you clicked around on the site Analise posted you might have seen these...

http://oddiments.com/oddiments_files/galleries/masks/crowns/oak_lord.jpg
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

knarlyknot

I'm afraid I'm no help but I wanted to say, what a great link, absolutely beautiful masks!
Best of luck.

gypsylakat

http://www.crafts-gifts.com/deer-antlers-skulls.html

also this is one route you could go.... I don't know about your animal rights opinion... you'll want to go for 1-2 points, anything else is going to be MUCH too heavy... (scroll down for just plain antlers)

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0041996.shtml
those might be like the ones Lady L used... I just searched "antler ornaments" in google

There are also some on Ebay... just search antler...

Lady L

Oh those are cool, gypsylakat. Yes, the cabela's are a lot like the one's I bought. Mine had a deer head on the top, which we sawed off. As far as real antlers, you can get them quite reasonably from a taxidermist. Deer shed their antlers and grow a newer/larger pair every year. One does not need to kill a deer to obtain antlers, if that is a concern. I thought the resin was lighter weight. :)

gypsylakat

Yeah I knew that, but I wasn't sure how many of the ones from the Taxidermists were actually shed and not from hunting.

(personally I do not care, I quite enjoy the taste of venison)

Lady L

Ok, well just wanted to cover all the bases. :)
Sometimes people are confused over the difference between "antlers" or "horns". Horns don't grow back every year. Not meaning *you*, but anyone in general that would read these posts.

temper

I did a fantasy helm with real antlers and you can run a set of steel bolts through them. Our costumer disguised this with rabbit fur at the base. I also have a resin set that I bought from a hunting supply shop (scrape together to bring in males listening for other males) these are light and will take glue and paint.  The hunting supply was also a good source for real antlers.
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

Lady Rae

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Here is the finished product...

gypsylakat

looks awesome what did you end up going with?

Lady Rae

I went with a conversion kit to turn a female decoy into a male.....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0059218410631a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=antler%2C+decoy&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=antler%2C+decoy&noImage=0

Then he attached them to a leather headband with a strap going up over his head....which we camoflagued with the Ivy...

Lady L