News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

MiRF Campers

Started by maelstrom0370, October 17, 2008, 12:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelstrom0370

So....
I've been reading a lot of other Faire threads and I've noticed a lot of them tend to camp together during faire weekends.  This past season, we camped next to Ladyfair and her clan and had a fun time.
I don't know how many of you camp for a weekend(s) but I think it would be fun to get a block of sites, everyone could throw something into the pot for meals and there'd always be space for someone who just needed a place to drop a tent.
Like I said, I don't know how many camp during faire season, but if there's more than a few then I think it could be fun.
Whaddaya think?

nliedel

Next year we're buying a pop up camper. We figure it would be good for MiRF and teaching the kids about the great outdoors and, hopefully, helping me travel to fly my Red Tailed Hawk. Just a test, a mews to build, and a sponsor to find between me and my dream.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

sealion

Dh and I are talking about building a teardrop trailer over the winter to enable us to afford more weekends at MIRF and more out-of-state faire visits without the hotel expense.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

L Dale Walter

OOOOHHH!  I have a 24 foot travel trailer I will sell cheap!  It has been the Knights of Iron staging trailer, but now we don't need it.

It's nice, not opulent.  Has full kitchen, kitchen table, microwave, oven, queen bed (with new matress), sofa bed, bathroom, shower, all that jazz.  New tires too.  Pulls on a standard hitch.  It is a 1996, and I paid like 9K for it in 2001.  Will sell for $4500.  Email me for pics if interested. 

Dale

flidais

Yeah!!! Hubby will be home by next season and hopefully will be camping at MIRF and Bristol and ORF and anywhere else I can talk him into.  Ok maybe not ORF, kinda chilly that time of year, but I guess that could just mean we have to cuddle more.  :)
So what I'm trying to say...is we'd be all for going on some camping spots.
huzzah!

maelstrom0370

I don't know how many MiRFers actually camp, but I'm hoping for a big communal thing.  See the Clan McLotofus threads in the TRF forum.  Their campground seems more open, but I figure at Holly Rec we can book sites around each other in a group.

Jon Foster

We live about an hour south of the MIRF grounds so we don't camp up there every weekend but we do try to do a one weekend outing at Groveland Oaks. It's a couple miles south of the faire grounds on the same road. In the past we've always tried to find other RFer's there but to date have never met anyone. I think most people camp at the state campground located behind Groveland Oaks. The state campgrounds are cheaper so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Our trailer is also a bit on the large side to fit in the state campground sites. It would be fun to camp with other RFer's though!

Jon.

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Jon Foster on December 06, 2008, 10:13:08 AM
We live about an hour south of the MIRF grounds so we don't camp up there every weekend but we do try to do a one weekend outing at Groveland Oaks. It's a couple miles south of the faire grounds on the same road. In the past we've always tried to find other RFer's there but to date have never met anyone. I think most people camp at the state campground located behind Groveland Oaks. The state campgrounds are cheaper so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Our trailer is also a bit on the large side to fit in the state campground sites. It would be fun to camp with other RFer's though!

Jon.

We take a 35' RV (not exactly camping, I know) and it fits fine into the sites at the Holly Rec Area.  Starting to look like we may be back to tent camping this year.  S'ok, though.  That's plenty of fun, too!

Zaubon

You can make an RV work for Rennie camping. Just remember that no matter how many goodies and toys you have inside, the fun is outside. Use the RV for sleeping and spend the rest of your time outside and it will be fun for everybody.

Jon Foster

My buddy bought his trailer before we did. I swore I would never have one because "it's just not camping at that point". So about a year later my wife nagged me so much that I went to look at them with her. And guess what? She found the one she "had" to have. So me being the smart weed puller that I am, I tell the salesman we'll take it if he can get me credit for the whole package. Now of course I didn't realize it was the last day of the month and a salesman wants that last sale right? Ya, well, he was gone for all of 5 minutes. When he got back all I had to do was sign on the line and take it home! Holy crap, I still don't know how he did that. Our credit was so bad back then it was a miracle they didn't shoot him when they heard our name!

So now I own this trailer, err house on wheels right? Damn. How do I get it home? I had like 3 Bronco's and a S-10 Blazer. By no means anything close to being able to tow this monster home. I had to call my buddy to come pick it up and take it home for me. Two months later I flew to New Mexico to pick up my new truck...

All that just to go camping... Ya, it's really camping now!  ::)

Jon.

maelstrom0370

With all this RV talk, I had to point this out.  My friend and his wife have been coming with us for our "Big Weekend" for the past 2 years, and she considers the 35-foot-loaded-to-the-gills-sleeps-eight-bedroom-and-living-room-extend-out-RV I bring to be "roughing it".   :o

Jon Foster

Ladyfair

Oh Boy!!!  Lots more campers it sounds like for 2009...wooohoooo!!!!

I luv camping, even my broken ribs and phenomia and pouring rain..... did not stop me....giggle.....big bonfire, a few brews..... and lots of great folks make it so much more fun. ::)
Lady Penny Clan Sutcliff - MI Chieftess
2013 Penny family Gathering Sept 7-8
Ren Vet
IWG Wench #3523

Jon Foster

Quote from: Ladyfair on December 14, 2008, 11:52:32 PM
Oh Boy!!!  Lots more campers it sounds like for 2009...wooohoooo!!!!

I luv camping, even my broken ribs and phenomia and pouring rain..... did not stop me....giggle.....big bonfire, a few brews..... and lots of great folks make it so much more fun. ::)

I'll drink to that!  ;D

Jon.

maelstrom0370

I'm glad to see a few people are actually interested in this!!  Here's hoping, when the time comes, we can actually pull it off!!