News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sir Dragon - In Memory

Started by Amras Elfwine, October 19, 2008, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amras Elfwine

It was with a great deal of sadness that we learned of the passing of Sir Dragon today. Many toasts were lifted heavenward at faire this morning, and laughs and smiles were shared by all of his extended Maryland family in his memory on the closing day of the 2008 MDRF season. I was happy to call Ron friend. We shared dry senses of humor, a deep-seated curiouslty for history, and an insatiable thirst for all things maritime...we delighted in our discussions about sailing and sailing history, and his presentations at Revel Grove on era navigation were always a delight!

Ron, I'm so glad we had a chance for that last laugh and hug. I was three sheets in the wind today, lad, toasting you, and we will share one for you every day we enter those gates!

Love and prayers to his family!

And another star has entered the night sky!

The Spirit of Ren
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

lordwriothsley

Huzzah to you Amras.Well spoken my friend.That was a very beautiful tribute,you are right Ron will be greatly missed.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

will paisley

The Danse Macabre parade today was dedicated to him.  I'm sure he would've found it fitting.

Also, at Pub Sing today, John dedicated the opening number "to absent friends".  Skivee then played Auld Lang Syne.  I managed to pull it together enough to sing by the middle of the second verse.  As painful as it was, I was glad to experience it with the family of faire.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Scotsman

It is going to take some time to get used to this ... I don't have the words.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Master James

He shall be greatly missed.   :'(
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

DuCoeur

I had the  pleasure of meeting  Sir  Dragon and MiLady Glorianna last year for my First Visit to Revel Grove.

Over the past year I have read about his  battle through both Gloriannas postings, and from mutual friends.

Although I do not know them well,  They are a part of our extended ren-Family, and embody the spirit of Ren.

To Mi'Lady I offer my most deep felt sorrow and condolences on your loss

God Speed M'lord Dragon....
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Lady_Glorianna

Ronald Edwin Santos -- Ron, Ronster, The Great Ron—(1963-2008) A very handsome man with intense, piercing, determined eyes and undying love devotion to those he loved especially his wife Gloria. A gentleman and a true modern Renaissance Man of keen intuitive natural intelligence, humble, reserved but pointed sense of humor, kindness, personal dignity and grace, vigilant, steadfast, reliable, and strong. As a wise man he does not talk too much but his words reflect life, science and care. A warm gentle giant with the heart of an artist, the mind of an inventor and with the hands of a craftsman. He always went beyond what was expected of him and did his very best in all the projects he undertook. He liked to be challenged and was always willing to try new things without any previous training. Willing and dedicated to share his many talents and his heart with all whom he met.

In earnest, this world was made a better place in Panama in 1963. He was born there because that is where his father who was in the Army was stationed. He also lived in the States and in Ecuador. From an early age, his engineering mind was at work as he would take things apart to find out how they work. After the family had moved to Bowie, Md, he related to me how once he was sent to the principal's office and while they were waiting for his father, he took the phone apart. He was always envisioning how things could be improved upon, moreover what could he do to improve them.

In High School, he played sports for a while, was a member of the marching band, the yearbook and the theater. He used to construct the sets and do the lighting. It was at this time that his relationship with the Maryland Renaissance Festival was born. He was recruited to play St George, slaying the dragon three times a day. He used to get on his motorcycle in full armor to go to the mall and get lunch!

He attended the University of Maryland and went into the Army. After putting all six shots through the same hole, he was tagged for sniper school and was an MP. After he got out, he went to Oklahoma where he went to school and graduated as an airplane mechanical engineer.

Throughout high school and college, he held many a job always starting at the bottom and rising to the top. Homecoming found him once again trying to make a living. He designed landscapes, was a construction foreman and a drafter. He went back to school and got certified in CAD (computer aided design). With this he found himself doing something he liked and earning a living.

On his personal time there was nothing he was afraid to try and there is not one thing that he tried and not mastered. From assembling models to making them, photography, carpentry, electronics, computing, remodeling, sewing kites and then costumes, robotics, and many, many more.

After meeting me in 1997, he quickly became my best friend and in time, the love of my life. We married in 2002. We shared many tales and many adventures. As of 2005, he found himself working for the MDRF as well as having me work for them too. He threw himself into his characters and task completely as well as helping out in whatever capacity he could. He made our costumes and most of the props he would need for portraying his character as well as props for others. He shall be remembered by all those he touched and will forever be a part of me.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Lady de la Warr

lordwriothsley

Beautiful Tribute Lady Gloriana.Well done. :)
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Master James

Thank you for sharing him with us and the rest of the world.  We are richer for it.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Although I never met Sir Dragon it is very clear what a great loss this has been.I will keep you in my prayers.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Ranna

"The lasses have got to respect a man who can blow, finger and squeeze all at the same time." - Anonymous bagpipe player

Lady_Glorianna

I have created a virtual memorial for Ron. It is still a work in progress but I'm hoping that by the time I'm finished and with everyone's input it will be a mark befitting of him and the extraordinary unique person that he was.

The Internet address is http://ron-santos.virtual-memorials.com.

Please feel free to visit, sign the guest book, leave messages or stories. If you encounter any problems, let me know. If you have nay ideas of more content that can be added or more pictures, let me know that too.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Master James

Beautifully done Gloria.  When I get the time to go through it all I will and will add what I can to it.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51