News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2009 VARF Dates

Started by Master James, October 21, 2008, 08:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenGoose

Actually, attendance is pretty darn good on Memorial Day.

BUT, the combination of three straight days with horrendous traffic on the way home Monday night makes for a really tough weekend on our cast and crew. (And vendors, and entertainers) And since our cast and crew is unpaid, all-volunteer, we wanted them to be able to have a day off to relax, celebrate the holiday, to have a better chance at getting home without spending hours in traffic.

Our folks work very hard -- add week long at work, taking care of family -- and then work the full weekend at the show. We're growing, but can't afford to reward folks financially yet -- but we CAN give them a day off. Everyone is just so exhausted by Memorial Day. It's painful to watch our cast and crew give 100% all weekend and then, on Monday, try to do it one...more...day. They do, but it takes so much out of them - then back to work the next day and...

We're betting that a lot of the folks who would come Memorial Day will instead choose to come Saturday or Sunday. Not all, but we're willing to take a little attendance hit in order to give back something to all of those folks who work so hard for the Faire.

We'll be closing earlier each day for the next season for the very same reasons -- we'll close the show at 5pm instead of 6pm. Get our folks back into shorts and t-shirts a little earlier, on the road, or relaxing a little earlier. We think this will also drive more activity to the non-tavern sections of our show, keep people shopping for that past hour, instead of just settling down in the tavern. (Don't worry, we're keeping the tavern sing!)

Experiments? Yup. Forever? Probably not.

But for now, we felt it was the right thing to do.

Dallan

Hoping to make it two weekends in '09, Memorial and closing weekend.
Fight'n

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

I can't do 3 days of Faire in a row either, sometimes 2 full days is a stretch for me.  So HUZZAH to you for putting your cast FIRST!  It's a refreshing change and very welcome indeed.   :)
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Lady de la Warr

Yeah - 3 days in a row just a a playtron is pretty tough. I'm usually exhausted after such an excursion. I can't even imagine being on cast for 3 in row!! Whew!

Master James

Well it IS tirering but very fun none the less.  Being on cast you just get this high by performing and just keep going.  That is until the end of the day and then you totally collapse!  LOL
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Lady de la Warr

Oh - I can only imagine! It sounds like great fun indeed! I know all about the collapsing after faire thing - that's usually what happens now........being on cast I'm sure I'd be totally dragging and barely alive at the end of the day!! LOL

Never know - maybe I'll get to find out first hand  ;)

Master James

Well let's hope you do get to find out first hand.  I'm telling you once you've experienced its like nothing else you've ever done! And its a TOTAL blast!  ;D
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Feline Groovy

It's twue!  It's twue!  I'd also spent about four hours on site that Friday as well, checking vendors in, so I was flattened by the end of faire on Monday. But I loved every minute of it!  The saving grace was that the weekend fell pretty early in the schedule.  If it had been one of the last couple of weekends, it might have been a different story.  :)   
Where was I going and how do I get there?

lordwriothsley

Being on cast has been an awesome experience for me.Speaking as a veteran cast member and veteran noble yes three days of faire is tiring and kills you at the end of the day but believe me when I say that it is well worth it.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Dallan

Come on May! I'm done with winter and ready for faire.
Fight'n

Master James

Oh I hear you my friend!  I can't wait to get this season started!
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Dallan

When do rehearsals start? I'm really looking forward to VARF this year. We are hoping to make it two weekends even though it will mean missing lacrosse twice (I'm coaching).
Fight'n

Master James

We start in April and go just about every weekend.  Can't wait to get this thing going!
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Manage'n M'Crack

Captain Dungcaster

Hello everyone! I thought I would jump in and say what a great time I had last year on opening day see you all again! Some of you know me as Francis Poldark from the Militia in years past at VARF. I can not wait for May either. This year I have a new character, Lord Dungcaster, of these near Parts {in relation to Stafford of course} Anyway I am looking forward to roaming about the village visiting and "playing". The chamber pot gig has been retired and infact was presented to Her Majesty last year. I hope to bring a nice little treasure chest of somewhat period object D'art to present to the Queen along with the little chest as a donation of items to VARF. I of course will let those incharge "approve" these items first and seek the Nobles direction as to when I may aproach Her Majesty in court. Yes it's the same outfit but a new name and outlook! I hope to bring some friends along as well to help the coffers naturally! VARF and those associated has been a wonderful experience for me that I will always hold close to my heart! Hope to see you all on opening day! Huzzah!!
Sinc,
Frank Blanton  Lord Dungcaster, of these near Parts
Richmond, Va.
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.