News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Virginia Renaissance Faire

Started by Dirtfarmer, May 07, 2008, 04:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtfarmer

2008 Virginia Renaissance Faire

10:00am - 6:00pm  Saturdays, Sundays, & Memorial Day

May 17, 18 Pirate Weekend
Special Guest: Pyrates Royale

May 24, 25, 26 Military History Weekend 

May 31, June 1 Romance Weekend

June 7, 8 Midsummer Night's Dream

June 14, 15 Celtic Heritage
Special Guest: Keltish

5621 Courthouse Road
Spotsylvania, VA

aidenoffairfax

Sweet. Nothing specific to post, but I'll jump in the VARF raft too!
Please go ahead and clear your throats... the hack has arrived!

mellingera

This year will be our (Lady Taylor and myself) first trip to VARF. We are definatly set for May 31 (it's my BDay!), but we might make it before then if we get our economic stimulus monies soon (It's a long trip down from Frederick, MD!). Either way, I can't wait to get my first faire 'fix' for the year... :)

Master James

Thanks for taking up the slack there Dirt!  I hadn't been on here in a couple of days so didn't realize we were migrating everything over. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend or whenever you can make it!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Tim T

Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White

Lady_Glorianna

For starters, we are planing on being there on the 17th
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Secira

This would be first Ren. festival I've been to, and I'm really excited!  Is it okay for me to dress up, or is that "reserved" for more frequent/experienced faire-goers?  Also, what other advice is there for new-comers?

Lady_Glorianna

Dressing up is not reserved at ANY faire but in terms of VARF I would especially encourage you to do so. It signals that you are willing to play along. Besides, in my experience, when you dress up you have an infinitely better time ;)

In terms of advice, be prepared to play and to have a good time. It can get pretty hot so pace yourself and drink lots of water :D
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

GoldenGoose

By all means, dress up! Consider throwing comfy clothes in the car, though -- better you should be happy all day than have to cut your day short because you're too hot, too cold, whatever. (Although we've added quite a bit more shade to the site, so there are more opportunities to get out of the sun.)

If you're at all proud of your garb/rig/costume, consider entering the daily costume contest -- prizes for regular Elizabethan dress, as well as our special themes: Pirate, Military, Romance, Midsummer Night's Dream or Celtic -- each day.

Two things that tend to get forgotten: cash, since some merchants only take cash, as does the pub and we're still ATMless, (although we should have one by next season) and there are limited ATM facilities off-site, within an easy driving distance.

And sunscreen! Although the friendly folks at First Aid will be happy to give you a spray -- 'cause we don't want to see you sizzle.

aidenoffairfax

I second the thought on sunscreen! DON'T FORGET IT! Sunscreen is a beautiful thing!
Please go ahead and clear your throats... the hack has arrived!

Femme Falchion

This will be the first year that I make the journey North for VARF (closing weekend)....hopefully accompanied by several other like-minded goddesses  :D

Can anyone make recommendations for both camping and a moderately priced inn?

Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

Dallan

Quote from: femme falchion on May 13, 2008, 12:37:31 PM
This will be the first year that I make the journey North for VARF (closing weekend)....hopefully accompanied by several other like-minded goddesses  :D

Can't help you with camping but Fredericksburg is about 20 minutes away and you can find a hotel for under $100 per night at hotels.com. We'll be there closing weekend.
Fight'n

Femme Falchion

It will be good to see you and your family again.  This time I'll be without my Knight and regular adventuring group but am looking forward to a night away with the girls.....
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

stonethrow

http://www.christopherruncampground.com/
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/lak.shtml

These are the closest to the Faire.

reese

Quote from: Lady_Glorianna on May 11, 2008, 02:19:09 PM
Dressing up is not reserved at ANY faire but in terms of VARF I would especially encourage you to do so. It signals that you are willing to play along. Besides, in my experience, when you dress up you have an infinitely better time ;)

In terms of advice, be prepared to play and to have a good time. It can get pretty hot so pace yourself and drink lots of water :D

Oh I beg to differ, only because I don't dress up, and I swear I have more fun than anyone  ;D

Our Faire is interactive, so expect to be drawn into playing.  Just let yourself go and have a blast. 

Also, start hydrating  a day or 3 ahead, and continue to do so at faire, you don't want to go down in middle of  having fun.  Dress up as you like, whatever makes you comfortable, we're pretty easy going.  I don't get all dressed up, I dress as me and like it that way.  I'm cooler, and don't have to worry about tripping over some skirt, well my own at least.  OH, and wear comfortable shoes, we have some interesting terrain and even though we are small, you can still do an awful lot of walking. 

Reese