News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Candles and Candle Making

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 06:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

Welcome to the RF.com Candles and Candle Making Thread

This thread is for everyone to post their favorite recipes, instructions, questions, or discuss.  As usual, just a few rules to help keep everything straight.

Rules for Posting

1. This thread is for recipes and related discussions ONLY. Please do not post random comments in this thread - let's try to stay on topic. Off topic posts will be deleted.

2. Please be respectful of those that take the time to post their recipes, items, and experience.

3. Have Fun!

Mag
Crafting Forum Moderator
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

Tami MacLeod

There is no single candle making recipe that will get you through all potential candle making situations. I don't even like the idea of a candle making recipe, because that implies that it is rigid and scientific, involving formulas more than fun. While there are some pointers that can be helpful when starting out making your own candles, much of learning about candle making must be done through experimentation.

Beer Mug Candles
Gel candles that look just like beer

Beer mug
    Gel Wax
    Small amount of paraffin wax
    7" 51 series zinc wick
    Candle fragrance oil with flashpoint of 170 degrees or higher
    Gold candle safe coloring

THE BEER: Follow the instructions for preparing the gel wax. Do not over heat. The cooler the gel, the more bubbles you will have. While this is heating, get your wick positioned in the mug using a little melted paraffin to hold the wick in place. Add your color and your scent to the gel wax (I use vanilla)and stir thoroughly. Pour into mug, stopping about an inch from the top. Pull up on your wick to straighten it. THE HEAD: Melt paraffin wax at med low heat. Once it has melted, take off the burner and add fragrance. Start whipping it up with a fork. As the wax cools, it will turn white again, and your whipping will make it frothy. When it is is thick enough to be spooned out, spoon it on top of the "beer" in the mug. This forms the beer's head. Tug your wick again, and while it is setting up to be sure it stays straight.

Tami MacLeod

Ice Candles Recipe

Clean out an empty milk carton and tape along the outside/bottom of it with masking tape to make the walls stronger so they don't bow from the weight of the wax.  Melt some paraffin wax to about 140F.  Place a taper candle the same height as the candle you want to make in the center of the milk carton and fill up the carton with crushed ice.  The ice should hold the taper in place.  Place the carton in a basin of some sort to catch any spilling water as the ice melts (not in the sink though!).  Slowly pour the wax into the carton until it fills to the top.  If the level of the wax goes down, just add more wax.  When the candle is cool to the touch, hold it over a basin or tub and peel/cut the milk carton off the candle.  The melted water will gush out so be prepared.  The taper inside the candle can be replaced when it burns down completely.

Tami MacLeod

Whipped Wax Candle Recipe

Creating a whipped wax candle - whipped wax can be created with either paraffin and cornstarch or beeswax and turpentine or just plain wax.  Melt down your wax and stir in the cornstarch or turpentine if you are using them.  Start whisking your wax with a whisker or egg beater.  When it gets light and frothy, start applying it to a candle base like you would frosting to a cake.  If it sets up, just melt it back down again and re whisk it.

pirategurl

A thread I can contribute to :)

Massage Oil Candles.

3oz melted soy wax
1/2 oz cocoa or shea butter
1oz blended oil-i use grapeseed, safflower & jojoba
1/8-1/4oz essential oil or fragrance oil

Mix the wax and oils until it begins to get cloudy. Pour the wax at a low temp into a candle tin with a natural cotton wicking. Let set for 24 hours.
Light your candle to lightly scent the room. When the desired amount of wax is pooled in the tin, blow out the candle, and pour into your hands. Soy wax burns at a low temperature, so you will not get burned. The ingredients are also beneficial to your skin.
Enjoy!

UrsulaChandler

Does anyone have any pictures, designs or descriptions of a medieval or renaissance candle maker's shop?

I'm a candlemaker in the living village lane of our faire. I've been making candles by hand over a fire and doing very well with that.  I want to move into mass production and use more of the technology available in the renaissance.  I know what equipment that I need to build from reading but I've never seen any of it.

I would really like to see a candle making wheel and a heating source used for melting the wax, which should be some type of double boiler.

Ursula Chandler
Louisiana Renaissance Festival
Ursula Chandler
Cast, RLHC

serenamoonsilver

I don't know how much help it would be, but The Forgotten Arts and Crafts by John Seymour has a section on the history of candlemaking complete with illustrations of various equipment used in different periods.

UrsulaChandler

Thanks! I'll look for that. It may be a good place to start.

Ursula
Ursula Chandler
Cast, RLHC

Synnovea

I have been interested in trying my hand at making candles but I am curious about something (insert dumb question here):  I have a gas stove ... is it safe to melt wax on a gas stove? 

Celtic Lady

My husband makes candles by melting the wax on our electric stove. He uses a thermometer to moniter the temp so the wax doesn't get too hot. I would think that it should be ok to use a gas stove but do research the wax you're using to find out what the flashpoint is and definitely use a good thermometer to check the temp of the wax.