News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Show Off Your RF Pin

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 08:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grov

Acrylics for the regular pins.  In the same section of your hobby store, you can find the glow in the dark paints.  Just make sure to wash then prime your pins first so the paint sticks.  Just paint on metal is not the surest bond.
I hope my life is an epic tale that ends well and everyone likes to read. --Grovdin Dokk

iain robb

So if I understand this correctly ...

I go to the hobby store and buy acrylic paint and primer. Is it acrylic primer, and is it in the same section?

Then I would think I should clean my pin with soap and water, rinsing it well and letting it dry, to assure there aren't any oils from my fingers on it.

Then I paint it and just let it dry?

Because I want a cool R/F pin too ...

CapnFayeCutler

After I prepped and painted mine, I used a clear coat spray paint on it. Kind of like when girls paint their nails - base coat (primer), color (acrylic), then top coat (clear coat).
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

iain robb

Thanks! Off to the hobby store tonight, then ...

Grov

And if you don't want the shiny texture, you can follow the crystal coat, which is usually thicker and more protective, with a matte clear coat to flatten out the shine and let it look more rustic.  Remember, more coats of thinner layers keeps it smoother and give each layer time to dry completely.  Humidity outside can drastically impair the coating layers and primer layers too.
I hope my life is an epic tale that ends well and everyone likes to read. --Grovdin Dokk

CapnFayeCutler

just touched up the old pins and painted the new ones with enamel. Liking it so far. Few more coats on one (the main part is acrylic so it's requiring more work to get just right) , touchup, then it's clear coat time! ;)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Rani Zemirah

I just got my first R/F pin in the mail a couple of days ago, and now I'm pleasantly daydreaming of all the many ways I can gussy it up!!!  My problem is deciding which option to choose... LOL

Maybe I should have ordered a few...  ::)  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Grov

You know Rani, I have painted a few and would be totally willing to paint yours for you.  Just tell me what you want and send me the pin.  Up to you.

Rani Zemirah

Now that sound like an offer I just can't refuse!!!  Particularly since I seem to have taken on so many pre-TRF projects that I'm gonna have to arrive with a glue gun, jewelers pliers and needle and thread all moving at once as I try to steer and text at the same time!!!  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Kaldea

Some wonderful pins! But are there any specific guidelines to making them? Size, color, theme shape??? As a newbe I would LOVE to know!

Magister

Kaldea:

You can find the information for purchasing your pin(s) from here: http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=210.0

The rest... is up to you.

- Mag
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade