News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Please take this paint brush

Started by rengypsy, October 22, 2008, 11:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

Dear Rennies,

Please take this ethereal paint brush.  With it, you can paint into existence what you want at Sherwood Forest Faire.

Suggestions in any of the following topics, or those of your own creation:
Signage
Paths
Entertainment
Vendors
Games
Public Art
Pathways
Souveniers
Beverages
Food
Characters
Camping Grounds and Experience

Color the painting with your passion and your desires, your dreams and ideas.

Let's make this Faire a collective effort.

Rengypsy
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Bonny Pearl

I personally love the soothing sound of a bubbling brook.  The idea of sitting on a bench under the shade of a tree or grassy area and hearing the sound of water while watching the passersby would be a nice respite from walking for a bit.

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Love Good Wood

you gotta have the "log fight" between little john and robin... ending up in the water... that would be a sight!

Queen Bonnie

Bagpipes sounding at opening of faire and closing!
Seating for eating and drinking and enjoying music.
Twisty paths! You never know WHAT will appear around each corner!
Many interesting characters make a faire!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Lady Ann of Draycott

Lots of places in the shade to sit and lots of tables where you can set your food down while you eat instead of either balancing it on your lap or eating while standing up.

Limited Edition or Dated Souveniers like tankards and pins.

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

DonaCatalina

Pathways made out of shredded mulch instead of gravel.

Shade.......even a grapevine covered pub area would be cool.

Places to sit.........even if they are just big blocks of stone.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

hoodofsherwood

As a suggestion and I realize this is easier said then done, But one thing that I thought of this past weekend at TRF was that; It would have been great if there had been some type of lodging on the actual site(read not a hotel) but a inn of sorts. Imagine waking up to the bustling of a time past and looking out of your window to see the town coming alive. I for one would pay good money for that. I do not mean a hotel with flat screens and elevators. A actual inn time period inn. Many people were handing over large amounts of money to stay at a hotel that was 40 minutes away at TRF and that money could have easily gone to the fair lodging. Granted it could not hold hundreds but I for one would be top of the list.
*Images and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

Queen Bonnie

Lodging is a great idea! Add an after hours pub too!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

hoodofsherwood

Quote from: Queen Bonnie on November 19, 2008, 09:57:07 AM
Lodging is a great idea! Add an after hours pub too!

Agreed  :), I did not want to sound like I was going overboard with the idea:)

dbaldock

Quote from: Queen Bonnie on November 13, 2008, 03:19:08 PM
Bagpipes sounding at opening of faire and closing!
Seating for eating and drinking and enjoying music.
Twisty paths! You never know WHAT will appear around each corner!
Many interesting characters make a faire!

Bonnie - Since Sherwood Forest Faire will have a permanent Pirate Camp, your "interesting" evil twin is going to be constantly wanting to use the Meow-mobile to attend faire.   ;)  ;D

For the Faire:
Having the Food Vendors spread out, to avoid traffic jams.   :D
Another vote for plenty of tables in the Food areas and benches near the Stages / Pubs.

I posted this back in June, in this thread:
Quote from: MeRe: Sherwood Forest Faire
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »

rengypsy,

Sounds like you foresee having four main areas in Sherwood Forrest Faire ---

1) Nottingham Castle and Town (probably near the parking and main entrance if that's where the Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem Pub will be, with access from inside and outside of the Faire)

Had another thought about this: I bet the "Castle" could be built to have the Main Entrance Gate in the middle - with the Pub on one end and an Inn at the other end (if you don't mind getting the permits to run a small Inn/Motel).  The Faire Offices could also be incorporated into one end or the other of the "Castle" building.

2) Robin Hood's Sherwood Forrest Hideout & Stage (a place for the multi-story Tree House you mentioned before)

3) Hobbit and Fae Village & Community (this may also need to be near the parking areas if you're planning to have rental cabins there)

Another thought about having rental cabins - If they're on-site (inside the fence), would there be problems with insurance and having patrons there at night without also having Security on-site all night as well?

4) Pirate Cove Lake & Ship Stage (would you have a late-night Pub here, or would the Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem Pub be the late night one?)

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Lady Christina de Pond

i don't even know where this fest is but i love the idea hoodofsherwood. that would be fun if all the renaissance festivals had several inns
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

dbaldock

Of course, the downside to having an Inn at Faire - is that you have to pay Taxes and Insurance all the year 'round, even if the Inn is used only 2 - 4 months of the year.  Plus, you have to try and hire staff who are willing to work only a few months of the year.

Just playing devil's advocate for a bit...  ::)

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Lady Christina de Pond

where is the giant marshmellow i need to cataput at dbaldock

hey we can dream can't we
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

hoodofsherwood

Quote from: dbaldock on November 19, 2008, 11:24:45 AM
Of course, the downside to having an Inn at Faire - is that you have to pay Taxes and Insurance all the year 'round, even if the Inn is used only 2 - 4 months of the year.  Plus, you have to try and hire staff who are willing to work only a few months of the year.

Just playing devil's advocate for a bit...  ::)

Take Care,
David Baldock

Just like the sheriff of nottingham would say it :)   I jest

That side of it I have no idea, If that is the case which I am sure it is, Then we will need archers at the wall to keep the tax man at bay.

rengypsy

a couple of comments

the first year, the pirates will not have made it down the river trent.  the lake and stream will be in phase two expansion.  the opening year, the faire will span approx 20-25 acres in the forest proper.

lodging will eventually be available--hobbit houses to rent within the camp grounds.

will have plenty of benches and tree swings for rest.

good idea to have food spread out.  i think i have three food vendors lined up.  one influenced by the crusades and the travels of marco polo.

keep the ideas coming.

i tossed out an idea to members of my immediate tribe and they kinda looked funny at me--so i will throw it out there for your comments: a gallery in the making.  entire walls of canvas where one or two artists each year are painting...kind of like the cistene chapel.  evolving each year.

we also need design ideas.

here is what we are in need of:

1) sign designs to be along paths, in trees, etc...like "blessed be", "feed not the troll", "here be dragons"

2) fantasy designs for wooden and stone benches to be carved, as well as fantasy designs for carved swings to be hung in trees for patrons to sit on

3) lane names

4) pub names

5) ideas for what should be the lads and lasses area--some objects/games that would be free but would not require staff...as well as fee-associated games/activities

6) medieval props to be strewn throughout the faire for authenticity (ie. medieval carts/wagons, stocks, etc)

site plan will go into the county in two weeks.  building will start in december.  exciting times.

rengypsy
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with