News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Please take this paint brush

Started by rengypsy, October 22, 2008, 11:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: rengypsy on October 22, 2008, 11:09:48 AM
Dear Rennies,

Please take this ethereal paint brush.  With it, you can paint into existence what you want at Sherwood Forest Faire.

Suggestions in any of the following topics, or those of your own creation:
Signage
Paths
Entertainment
Vendors
Games
Public Art
Pathways
Souveniers
Beverages
Food
Characters
Camping Grounds and Experience

Color the painting with your passion and your desires, your dreams and ideas.

Let's make this Faire a collective effort.

Rengypsy

Signage - Brightly painted with font big enough to be read by all.  Stages clearly marked by signage.  If a stage sits behind a vendor row, arrows to mark the way to the stage.  Stage show signage that reflects the stage's "theme."

Paths - A combination of gravel and wood chips so that patrons in wheelchairs and motorized scooters can manuever and have traction.  Paths/lanes built up to avoid being flooded or washed away.  Please, NO straw over mud puddles!  That only makes bricks on the feet of patrons and performers and gets very slick, very fast.  Shady spots along paths to sit and rest when tired.

Entertainment - a variety of genres of entertainment; not all signing groups, not all comedy groups, etc.  Stages spaced far enough apart so one stage show does not 'drowned out' another show.  Storage space built into each stage for performers to safely store props out of the way of others and of weather.

Vendors - a variety is always nice.  Would be nice to see clothing vendors who specialize in clothes from the Silk Road, including Arabic cultures.

Games - Period games that folks, young and old, can try their hand at.  Gentleman at Four Winds Faire makes and sells board games from the period as well as board games of his own design based on/inspired by period games.

Public Art - Artisan demonstrations in stonework/masonery.  One gent spent an entire faire crafting the stone altar center piece for that faire's chapel.  It was amazing to watch him work, listen to him speak (He has a sign that says "Gaelic Spoken Here") and to watch the altar piece come to life (Wolf with a lamb that looks so real your fingers itch to feel the lamb's wool).

Pathways - Wide pathways (2-3 folks abreast, if possible with lay of land) so that folks can easily maneuver whether on foot or on/in wheel chairs or scooters.  Pathways that wind through and around trees - shade is essential to patrons and performers alike.

Souveniers - Period looking pins or pendants that performers could easily add to their garb.  Agree with the limited edition souveniers idea - tankards, t-shirts, pins, etc.

Beverages - How difficult a task would it be to have freshly made lemonade available?  Does the cost of supplies and manpower override projected purchases by patron and performer alike?

Food - well rounded and sensible choices so one is not eating continual grease.  Would be wonderful to offer foods Crusaders might have enountered in their journeys.

Characters - Some nobility but bulk of cast being of the 'common folks' - makes the day more fun if one is not continually bowing to the upper crust.

Camping Grounds and Experience - shaded areas for the tent camping section - not only shade from sun but wind block as well.  If county laws allow, proviso in campground rules for the use of above ground, contained fire pits.  Some folks use them for heat source and to cook on.  Ability to park cargo trailer and personal vehicle close to camping spot - better accessibility and sense of security for owner.  Definately love the idea of an "all quiet after 10pm" campground for performers who desire a full night's rest so they can work the next day at faire.  Also, for out-of-state performers, the ability to spend Sunday night on site and pull out on Monday morning.  So much better than having to drop camp on Sunday night and drive hours home when one is exhausted.  Also like the idea of showing photo ID and camping/parking pass to gain entrance to performer/vendor campground. 

Trash recepticles - could 'false fronts' be made/purchased to sit the actual trash can in? 

In response to your canvas painting wall - what would you do with each finished section of canvas?  How would it be incorporated into the faire the following year?  What happens when the entire faire site is full of canvas paintings? 

3) lane names - Should reflect the area they traverse - for example; a downward incline could be "Tumble Way."  A flat lane could be called "Harts Dash."  Tree filled lane "Shady Glen."

4) pub names - Ram's Horn Tavern, Silver Swans Inn, The Royal Arms, The Cross and Crucible, Hartshorne Inn, The Cockscomb (minus the "scomb") and Bull (please note that the boards do not allow the posting of certain 'offensive' words).

5) ideas for what should be the lads and lasses area--some objects/games that would be free but would not require staff...as well as fee-associated games/activities: 
Fee-associated games: "Pin the Cross on the Saracen," "Toy Ship Races," Ring toss/frog toss game (where in the winner gets a small prize).

For free games/actvities (geared for parents to watch their kiddos): Child sized wooden ship (of the period) for them to crawl through/play on, wooden swings that look like horses attired for crusades.  And the ever popular sand pit to play in (could have a lid that goes over it at end of day to keep trash out).

Looking forward to seeing the faire first hand when it opens.

Fair Winds,
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

HawkMom

Other 'mundane' items that need to be addressed: 

Bathroom facilities:  PLENTY of handicapped sized privies.  I HATE the small ones.  My skirts get in the 'purse holder '(Urinal) UGH!!!!!

Also, patrons  (and mothers with toddlers or strollers)  in big costumes cannot fit in the small standard sized privies.  Hand washing stations. NOT sanitizers. 

My mom avoided venues which did not have adequate bathroom facilities.  This is very important for the fair to grow and be successful. 
The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill, but man's relationship with his hawk.      --- T.H. White

DonaCatalina

I have to say handicapped privies which aren't any wider than regular privies are practically useless. Adding the handrails to a regular size stall doesn't help at all!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Katherine

I agree with having all the stalls, especially in the ladies privies extra wide.  When in garb, the smaller stalls do not allow for much room. 
I also like the idea of having foods that would have been eaten during the time period, and possibly demonstrations of how meals would have been prepared back then.  That would be interesting.

*Teach*

Speaking of the privies...
In the stalls, hooks on the backs of the door for hanging the many belt items is very handy
A shelf above urinals to put mugs etc. on is also darn handy as well

*Is there a way to have fountains of rum scattered about?*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

rengypsy

who would have thought, if given a "paint brush" to create one's touches upon the making of a new faire that the predominance of the painting would be in the privies???? LOL!!!

"Well, the faire wasn't much, but damn good toilets.  I'll be back."

funny
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

dbaldock

Quote from: rengypsy on January 02, 2009, 08:15:28 PM
who would have thought, if given a "paint brush" to create one's touches upon the making of a new faire that the predominance of the painting would be in the privies???? LOL!!!

"Well, the faire wasn't much, but damn good toilets.  I'll be back."

funny

You can see some really fancy restrooms at Hruska's in Ellinger, TX - between La Grange and Columbus on Hwy 71.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

DonaCatalina

Quote from: rengypsy on November 20, 2008, 08:42:35 PM
3) lane names

4) pub names

rengypsy

Street names 1) Nottingham Lane
                   2) Smithy Row
                   3) Wheeler Gate Lane
                   4) Queen Street
                    5) Norfolk Lane
                   6) Sherwood Street
                   7) Market Road
                    8) St Peter's Street

All taken from Nottingham's old town center

Pubs - Dragon Inn
          Jumpin Jac's
          The Bell Inn
          Brownes Tavern

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

MacLaren

How about a bamboo forest? As a probable vendor, I'd be happy to donate a few specimens for planting. I grow and cultivate many varieties, and contrary to many a rumor, some will not take over. I'd like to see a nice, well kept(by me) grove of bamboo from the Far East representative of my travels! I am The Bamboo Scotsman, after all!

Am working on some designs for signage, as well. Will send an email soon.
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

Queen Bonnie

Many of the start up fairs had plans for a Lord Ambroisus Tavern- in honor of my late husband. None of these faires has made it- so the concept and name is still available for consideration. It would be a magical place! 
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

eloquentXI

I really like the Prince of Wales at TRF, how it's an indoor pub with an inside bar, good way to cool off and socialize, and it's just got a great feel to it too. And yet, at the same time, there is plenty of seating outside, giving ample room for watching parade, etc.

The discussion has come up time and time again about the closeness of the childrens area to stages/pubs. The Kings Pavillion at Scarby is where the R/F Meet n' Greet has been in previous years and on more than one occasion, we had a hard time hearing the performers on stage for the bungee contraption behind the stage. As much as I can handle this, it makes me feel for the performers because they don't get the same respect as others.

I had an idea for a type of bench where it looks like it is a tree trunk that has been hacked off six or so feet high, so there is a bench with a backing. But within the tree trunk, there is a hold there available for cast to peer through and then to climb to the top and dangle items from to play with the patrons.

Another chance for good interaction of the cast with patrons is, if there are walls being built in certain places to create the feel of a medevil town, like so many did, make there places where the cast can run about along the walls (safely, of course) and yell down to the patrons, etc.

am brainstorming so some shall come later!
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

MacLaren

Quote from: Queen Bonnie on January 05, 2009, 10:30:14 AM
Many of the start up fairs had plans for a Lord Ambroisus Tavern- in honor of my late husband. None of these faires has made it- so the concept and name is still available for consideration. It would be a magical place! 

MUST DO!!! MUST DO!!!
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

rengypsy

there is a fallen celtic stone circle in derbyshire, the adjacent shire to nottingham, entitled "The Seven Sisters".  i am creating a stuccho stone circle of the seven sisters.  anyone wanna design the circle?

i am planning on the stones being approx 1' x 3' x 6'

i need a layout of some astrological significance around the number seven

would appreciate your help

Lady Rosaline

To have a tavern named after Lord "A" would be a great way to remember him and would have great significance to many. Maybe a portrait of him on the sign. Another thing that I always thought would be great, not sure how feasible it would be, but showers in the patron camping. 
I'm the reason the rum is gone! (Unless Teach is near by!)

rengypsy

there will be showers in the camp grounds. not many, but two to three per gender.