News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Non-Renaissance Songs That Would Make Great Faire Songs

Started by Lady Nicolette, October 23, 2008, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StilettoWolf

I have actually spent the last few weeks rewriting Cristina Aguleira's "Candy Man" in to a piraty almost Andrews Sisters like ditty called...wait for it.....

Shanty Man.

It's going great, as soon as I finish the lyrics, Ill post it and see what you all think :)

Aderin

I'm still thinking hard for non-renaisance songs, but I have noticed a lot of the heavy metal songs that I like are renaissance themed or somewhat themed. They use electric instruments including pianos with effects and especially electric guitar and include a LOT of screaming and growling vocalists. I doubt they would translate well to renaissance instruments, but I enjoy them very much.

Examples include:
Luca Turili - Kings of the Nordic Twilight, Ancient Forest of Elves, etc.
Children of Bodom - Downfall
Summoning - Shadow Lies Frozen on the Hill, Where Hope and Daylight Die

"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Lady Nicolette

There's a bit of history with Metal bands playing Medieval or Renaissance-inspired music, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Ronnie James Dio, to name a few, all dabbled with it to greater or lesser extent.  Jimmy Page played as a session player for Donovan, who wrote a lot in that vein; and of course, many Rennies are familiar with Ritchie Blackmore's latest incarnate band, Blackmore's Night .  Along with them, were the musicians like the Pentangle and Fairport Convention that played Progressive Folk music and many of the Progressive Rock era bands like King Crimson, The Strawbs, ELP, Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull round out this list.  Even the hugely popular Rolling Stones, arguably more a straight rock and blues influenced band, probably under the aegis of Brian Jones, produced the very Elizabethan "Lady Jane."  There's a lot more, this being a special favourite of mine in my collections and recollections, but I'll stop here for now.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Aderin

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on June 15, 2013, 06:39:18 PM
There's a bit of history with Metal bands playing Medieval or Renaissance-inspired music, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Ronnie James Dio, to name a few, all dabbled with it to greater or lesser extent.  Jimmy Page played as a session player for Donovan, who wrote a lot in that vein; and of course, many Rennies are familiar with Ritchie Blackmore's latest incarnate band, Blackmore's Night .  Along with them, were the musicians like the Pentangle and Fairport Convention that played Progressive Folk music and many of the Progressive Rock era bands like King Crimson, The Strawbs, ELP, Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull round out this list.  Even the hugely popular Rolling Stones, arguably more a straight rock and blues influenced band, probably under the aegis of Brian Jones, produced the very Elizabethan "Lady Jane."  There's a lot more, this being a special favourite of mine in my collections and recollections, but I'll stop here for now.
[/quote

THANK YOU!!! I didn't realize there was such a vast renaissance influence in rock bands! Can't wait to do some digging based off your list!! Blessings to you!

Bonny Pearl

Not sure if this posted but I know Led Zeppelin was mentioned. This little video has been around for a while but always good for a giggle.

Enjoy!  ;D

Viking kittens the good version
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Merlin the Elder

So glad someone here besides me acknowledges the Strawbs. I find so very few people have ever heard of them. The late and awesome Sandy Denny connects them with Fairport AND Led Zeppelin, the only person to be a guest vocalist on a studio Led Zep album. 

Jethro Tull and Fairport also shared members: Dave Pegg, the Fairport member with the most years in the band, played with JT for a number of years. Ex-Fairport members Dave Mattacks and Maartin Allcock also did some work for Tull, Mattacks filling in for a period when regular Doare Perry was out for surgery to repair a broken bone, as I recall.

The British bands had so many changes, it's hard to keep them straight, but a LOT of musicians have played in both the folk genre and the rock genre, and, of course, the folk-rock genre.

My experience on a personal level with these people is that they are genuinely friendly people. I used to promote some folk and folk-rock acts, and have met a lot of the legends of the genre. I've been lucky in that regard.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Nicolette

My silver is showing...Right you are, Merlin....I obviously am also a longtime fan of Sandy Denny's, all of her career, whether fronting a band, singing in a supportive role, or as a solo artist.  One of my top 10 LP's of all time is Dave Cousins' "Two Weeks Last Summer," essentially, there is no Strawbs without Dave.  There was a lot of interplay among the British bands especially, I think the smaller geographic area made that more possible than here...And, like you mentioned, a lot of dabbling in all kinds of genres instead of being strictly narrowed down, and, subsequently, watered down, like we unfortunately see so much of today...Luckily, there are still a lot of creative and wonderful musicians of all ages who still manage to avoid being so streamlined.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Ah, yes, the fate of much American music - controlled by the industry and making sure 'their' artists stay in line!
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Nicolette

I think that the pigeon-holing didn't start to the degree it became until people became more aware that there were fortunes to be made from the music that occurred more as a cultural enterprise than as a fiscal one.  In the early days, even though they wanted to make a living, greed wasn't the impetus behind the creation, although the entrepreneurs of the era certainly saw that before anyone else, but many of them also were originally performers as opposed to impresarios. These days, both the creators and those that market them are frequently behind the streamlining to better market product.

And back to the original query, Carol Tatum with Angels of Venice does a lovely version of "Nothing Else Matters." 

Aderin

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on June 21, 2013, 08:27:48 AM
I think that the pigeon-holing didn't start to the degree it became until people became more aware that there were fortunes to be made from the music that occurred more as a cultural enterprise than as a fiscal one.  In the early days, even though they wanted to make a living, greed wasn't the impetus behind the creation, although the entrepreneurs of the era certainly saw that before anyone else, but many of them also were originally performers as opposed to impresarios. These days, both the creators and those that market them are frequently behind the streamlining to better market product.

And back to the original query, Carol Tatum with Angels of Venice does a lovely version of "Nothing Else Matters."

Thank you for the wisdom!

Sergvov

QuoteNot sure if this posted but I know Led Zeppelin was mentioned. This little video has been around for a while but always good for a giggle.

Enjoy! 

Thanks for that video , I like it .