News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

DFW Fabric/Supply Stores?

Started by ADraeger, October 24, 2008, 12:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADraeger

Hi all!  Just as I was about to begin sewing, my local fabric place/supply store closed down!  So, I am going to make a sewing pilgrimage to the nearest metro area (aka DFW).  Other than the obvious stores (JoAnn's, Hancocks), are there any good/cool/interesting/helpful fabric and sewing supply stores that I should visit?  Thanks! :)

lys1022

The best place to go is Perth Street.  All of the fabric warehouses are there, and they are stuffed full of beautiful things at decent prices.

Most of them have limited hours, though, so be sure to get there early on Saturday morning because I think a lot of them close around 2:00 p.m. or so (at least they used to, I haven't been there in a while).

Some of the more experienced seamstresses can probably help you with specific stores within that street, but really, that's the place to go!
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

ADraeger

Quote from: lys1022 on October 24, 2008, 12:26:35 PM
The best place to go is Perth Street.  All of the fabric warehouses are there, and they are stuffed full of beautiful things at decent prices.

Most of them have limited hours, though, so be sure to get there early on Saturday morning because I think a lot of them close around 2:00 p.m. or so (at least they used to, I haven't been there in a while).

Some of the more experienced seamstresses can probably help you with specific stores within that street, but really, that's the place to go!

Is that in Ft. Worth or Dallas? (or suburb)?  Thanks :)

isabelladangelo

Why not try the online retailers?  Fabric.com is great and I buy from them all the time.  Ebay can be wonderful for some really different fabrics.  I'd say about 60% of all my fabric purchases are made online anymore.

captmarga

Quote from: ADraeger on October 24, 2008, 01:38:08 PM
Quote from: lys1022 on October 24, 2008, 12:26:35 PM

Is that in Ft. Worth or Dallas? (or suburb)?  Thanks :)

In Dallas, Off of Harry Hines.  Take 35 to Walnut Hill or Harry Hines, the wholesalers are kind of grouped together.  Golden D'Or, Best Fabrics, both are on Harry Hines.  Then down Perth there are three or four others.

Capt. Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

ADraeger

Thanks very, very much for the directions!  I am very unfamiliar with Dallas... they're a huge help! :)

As far as online retailers go, I would have considered it, but I am having to match fabric to my bodice.. and I don't think I'm familiar enough with sewing to imagine the texture/weight/look of the fabric.  Perhaps when I get more experience under my belt. :) 

DonaCatalina

I am a regular on Perth Street. Not only is there a good selection of garb suitable fabrics, the prices are right.
I can usually find Dupioni silk in one of the shops for $5.99 - $9.99 a yard.
Golden D'Or on Harry Hines has a back room for discontinued stock. I found some trim topped silk for $10.99 a yard. There was only enough for sleeves and breeches, but it was a steal.
Best time to go is Saturday morning 10:00am.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

VIII

Several Perth Street warehouses have an incredible discount if you buy the entire roll.

What's the name of the place at the end, just at the curve?  They have some fabrics for $1-1.50-a-yard if you buy the 10-15 yard rolls.

If you find a Manager or the Owner, they are usually open to haggling, especially if you are buying a lot!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

ADraeger

Woo hoo!  I love haggling!  It's basically a hobby passed down through generations of my family. lol :) :)  Thanks for the tip!  I'll be looking up that particular store for my next pilgrimage to DFW. :)