News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Books/resources for learning to do alterations on finished clothing?

Started by gem, November 14, 2008, 07:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I'm thinking of alterations for ready-to-wear garments (I have a pretty good handle on altering things I'm *sewing*).  This isn't a topic that's covered in most sewing books.  Does anyone have any resources on learning how to do this?  I think it would be enormously helpful not just with fixing the fit of purchased garb, but also for regular mundane clothing, as well.

Thanks!

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I have one that covers plus size and odd body shapes. I did a search on Amazon for it under sewing. It's pretty good but I have yet to tackle it's methods. It covers altering pattern sizing and shapes.

How to make sewing patterns was one, the other which is the one I was refering to is "Fantastic Fit for Every Body: How to alter patterns to flatter your body.

I'd suggest going to Amazon and typing in pattern altering and you'll find many books on alteraations.

Hope this helps
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

gem

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.  I don't want to alter *patterns.*   I know how to do that.

I want to alter ready-to-wear/already sewn *clothing.*

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

gem!!  I worked with a friend of mine back in the early 80's that still does Alterations to this day. (I also helped her get the Costume Business started as well.) The best way to learn doing ALterations on regular clothing is to work with someone who does them for a living. I doubt there is a book that can teach you this art of sewing better than an expert in the field.

That is where I honed my sewing skills that I still employ to this day even for garb making. Which is why I keep very busy doing Coat relinings, hemming pants, sleeves, putting in new zippers on jeans, jackets, doing complex Bridal Alterations , etc. My 20 years of sewing clothing from scratch prior to learning to do  Alterations came in handy. I learned even more skills then and continue to learn something new with each alteration I work on. It's a matter of taking something apart and putting it back to gether again to fit a client better . This gives me an appreciation as to how things are made.

Doing Alterations is a completely different animal all together because you are working with live bodies and how clothing fits various body types, how and where to alter, etc. I do a  lot of Seats, Waists, and Strides on slacks for men and Women, as well as unusuasl requests like remaking a beloved stuffed toy that has been with a client since she was 3 years old using some of the parts from that toy.

Hope this answer helps you. I am busier than ever even with this economy because people always need something altered to fit them better that they want to last.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

Well, unfortunately, that's not all that helpful! LOL

I don't know anyone else who sews, and I don't trust the local alterations place.  I don't think she's going to let me sit beside her and learn.

I don't want to go into business; I just want to learn to improve the fit of my own clothes.

operafantomet

Pick up a housewive's sewing book from the 50's or 60's. Seriously. It'll tell you LOTS of tricks for altering your everyday clothes.

I have the "Complete Guide to Sewing" by Reader's Digest. The Norwegian edition is from the 70's, the original English version might be from the 60's. You'll love it in all its dorkiness!

ETA: seems like there's been many new editions of this book, you can start with this link: http://www.amazon.com/Readers-Digest-Complete-Guide-Sewing/dp/0895770261

gem

Operafan!  How funny--I have given that same advice so many times, and it didn't even occur to me to look there! :D 

My favorites are Sewing Made Easy and the Better Homes & Gardens Sewing Book.

I love the way they absolutely start from scratch, assuming you've never even held a needle before, and how they teach skills that are now obsolete/lost--like darning.

Thank you!  Great suggestion!

Dayna

What I have often done is put the garment on inside out.  Pin and/or mark as necessary.  There's your new seam, or in the case of being too small, open the seams, put the garment on inside out and pin a scrap of fabric to cover the gap.  Voila, your pattern is there, add double seam allowance on the inserted piece (the double makes up for the existing fabric you will lose to the new seam) and sew.

Granted, this doesn't work so well on really really complicated clothing, but taking in sides and/or letting out butts, it'll do in a pinch.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven