News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Could use a prayer or two and some happy thoughts if you have the time....

Started by ADraeger, October 24, 2008, 05:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADraeger

I have struggled all my life with my self-esteem - so much so that when I was fifteen, I became obsessed with my weight and basically starved myself for months on end (200 or 300 calories a day so I could say that I'd eaten, then run 3-5 miles).  My mind, and my body, really haven't recovered.  I snapped out of it, gained weight in college, and then got back into a *healthy* eating plan and exercise regime.  I met my husband, Josh, got married, then I picked up his eating habits... and I am now struggling with being extremely overweight and am developing health problems b/c of the excess weight. 

My problem is that I need (for health reasons and by doc's orders) to lose weight in a healthy way, but every time I try, I find myself being obsessed with it - which scares me off from it (I certainly don't want to repeat mistakes and land myself in a hospital).  I would appreciate a prayer or happy thoughts/energies if you have the time.  This is something that I know I can overcome, and I know I must take it a day at a time, but I could really use all the encouragement and strength I can get... 

captmarga

As a big lady - I'm there!  I'll raise a glass of cold water (putting down favorite soda, which I am trying to wean away from ) to you and your efforts.

Things that have made a difference for me (and I have gone down a bra size and a shirt size over the last year, from a 3x down to 2x, 46 D down to 44D, and had to buy a smaller corset...)

Fresh bread, like baguettes, instead of sliced.  Fresh butter (more flavor, use less) instead of margarine.  Skinny Cow Chocolate milk!!! NO FAT!!!  Orange juice, more veggies.  No eating after 10 pm (I go to bed after 1230 pm).  And a big glass of cold water by the bedside.    A glass of water for every soda at the restaurant (I am VERY much a soda freak).

It's a lot of work and willpower, but I know you can do it - I've struggled with the weight since my daughter was born 12 years ago.  I have RA and a bad back, and exercise is PAINFUL.  But I've been going to dance class every Monday night and can dance again!

So here's a big squishy hug from a big squishy wench - hang in there hon!!!

Capt Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Ferret

I hope you discussed your concerns with your doctor. That may well help you over come your fear of obsession.

All kinds of happy thoughts, good wishes, and a prayer headed your way !
Ferret

lordwriothsley

Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Rani Zemirah

Sounds like you know yourself, and that can many times help you to overcome patterns you're already aware of. Just pay close attention to what your body mind and spirit are telling you, and I believe you will be able to meet your goals in a healthy way! You sound like someone with strength and purpose, but don't be afraid to rely on others when you need them, and remember to keep us posted on your journey.

I'll be kepping you in my thoughts and prayers, and sending healing energy as well. Take care, and always remember what a truly wonderful person you are!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Amras Elfwine

Lass, I will keep you in my thoughts!
I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, and have had total success with their program.

That being said, I will echo what Ferret said...please talk with your doctor about your concerns. The medical pros are the ones who can advise you the best.

And renmail me anytime you wish to talk!!
I will be pulling for you!
Cheers!

Amras "Lost 84 Pounds in 2007-2008, and Have Maintained Weight For Seven Months Now" Elfwine
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

CatAshtrophy

Please do consult a doctor who is knowledgable about the issues you are facing. It's good that you are aware of them and are warry and wanting to loose the weight in a healthy way. I wish you the best.

ADraeger

Thank you all so very much for your prayers/happy thoughts/energies and the advice. :)  I have indeed discussed this with my doctor, and he would prefer me to have some counseling for this BUT... I have no insurance and cannot afford $50.00 an hour (which is the cheapest I've found around here...most have been $75 to $100).  So, it's up to myself and God to help me with it.  CaptMarga- thanks SO much for the advice.  (and Congrats to you and Amras for your healthy successes!!! :) :) )  I actually tried WW with my mother, but I found myself undereating my 'points' as well b/c I was afraid of going over my top number.  I think it's the numbers.  I don't know what I'm eating (calorie/fat content wise) without them, but when I throw them into the mix, I become obsessed with them.  :(   I've been thinking about starting a food journal - recording what I ate/when/why/what emotions, but no numbers....just something to help me make better decisions.... any thoughts/comments/suggestions on that?

CatAshtrophy

Maybe you could give yourself a numerical range of calories to eat? And make it a very strick rule to never, ever go under your minimum calorie number? Having a minimum and a maximum might help you avoid the stress of going over your numerial limit. I've been counting calories and have lost 30 pounds, but just as I am strict with myself about not eating too much, I am strict with myself about not eating too little to avoid loosing weight too fast and risk being unhealthy about it. Just make sure that your mimimum amount is a healthy amount of calories to consume in a day. I would also give yourself a healthy end goal that will end you at a healthy weight. That way you do not continue the diet after it is no longer necessary.

Be healthy!

Richard de Graeme

All Blessings be upon thee, thy kith and kin. Love thy self and partake of small portions of fruits and vegetables throughout thy day.

I feel thy strength and vitality!

"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Metheri

Something to think about with Weight Watchers is they they give you 8 guidelines for healthy weight loss. These things are 1)get 5 fruits and vegetables  2) choose whole grains 3) eat 2-3 servings of dairy a day 4)Include 2 teaspoons of healthy oil(virgin olive oil) a day 5) get 1-2 servings of protein per day 6) limit sugar and alcohol 7) Drink 6 glasses of water per day and 8) take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. These are basic things but it might help you to think about what you are eating instead of calories so much. I am a lifetime member of WW and am working on getting back down to a healthy weight.  It might be better to set a range of points to set for yourself instead of a certain point. It is very important to eat all of your points. With Weight Watchers you should also shop around for leaders if you can. Some leaders and meetings are better than others.

My thoughts and prays are with you and I hope that you are able to find the strength and understanding that you need to overcome this problem. 
Metheri
Moneypenny
Cruise Director and Brigade Secretary for Clan O'Ceallaig
Irish Penny Brigade

lordwriothsley

M'lady you are still in my thoughts and prayers.Hang in there.I have faith that you will reach your ideal weight.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

ADraeger

Thank you all very much for your prayers, support, and encouragement!! :)  Today has started well, and it's a good reminder that I have to take one day at a time.  I've been watching what goes into my mouth, but I haven't been obsessed about it, and my choices have been well (huzzah! fruit!).  After talking with my doctor (and mother), I am keeping a food journal and am going to re-attempt calorie counting.  Like someone pointed out, I am going to give myself a range and see how it works.  As I have to check in with Doc every couple of weeks, I'm hoping that I will have better control over my obsessive tendencies.....I know he'll keep me in line with it.

I also threw out all of my magazines today (I don't have TV, so I didn't have to worry about that).  As I am wanting to stay in a healthy mind frame, the last thing I want is to envision myself with a body I'll never have.  I realized this morning that was the trigger to my unhealthy habits as a teen.  I think one of the reasons why I love garb so much is the fact that it flatters my form (boobs and curves! yea!) and I feel beautiful in garb :)...versus feeling like a sausage attempting to look like asparagus. :P  I created my long term goals this morning.  I'm supposed to be discussing short term goals with my doctor tomorrow.  I'm feeling pretty good about it.  Little nervous about the exercise, but I'm excited as well. :)  Here's to the start of week one, and hopefully, the start of good habits for the rest of my life! :) :)  Thank y'all again so very much for your support (and advice, which has been extremely helpful).  :) :)  **hugs for everybody**

lordwriothsley

I'm so glad to hear your on the right track M'lady.Keep up the good work. :)
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Amras Elfwine

Quote from: Metheri on October 27, 2008, 12:15:57 PM
With Weight Watchers you should also shop around for leaders if you can. Some leaders and meetings are better than others. 

Amen to that!!!

Congrats on your progess, lass. Just drink enough water during the day, think high fiber / low sugar/fat/salt in your foods, and you will do fine. And, most importantly, stay active!!

Keep it up!
Cheers!!
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Richard de Graeme

"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

renren

I highly recommend weight watcher's myself, also!
They want to eat a certain amount, and eat healthier!
They're supportive, and I'm down 25 lbs so far, thanks to them!
If you're interested , their are members here on r/f.com, be glad to help ya!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lady Renee Buchanan

I also highly reccommend Weight Watchers, having lost 64 lbs. and being a lifetime member.  Something I haven't seen mentioned is that they also have the Core Plan in addition to the Points Plan.  With the Core Plan, you have a list of allowable foods, and you can eat as much as you want of them until you feel full.  There is no points counting at all.  If you have a problem with numbers, that may help you.

I have found that losing weight with group support is much easier than trying to do it on my own.  Also, the fact of going every week holds me accountable, since my success or failure will become evident when I step on the scale.  By the way, due to my health issues, it took about 2 years to lose the 64 lbs.  There are some people who lose it much faster, but I couldn't.  My average loss per week was only 0.4 lbs.   If it comes off slowly, don't worry about it, at least it's coming off.

Good luck with your efforts. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

ADraeger

Thank you all for your support and advice. :)

I decided four weeks ago to give weight watchers a try - after I read that half of you have had great success with the program.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm older and more mature this go around or if it's because of my pressing health problems, but I have done absolutely wonderful with it and have lost 6.4 pounds, which is a wonderful start for me - especially since I haven't been able to exercise (again, health problems...). :) :)  :)  Doctor is pleased, husband is pleased/relieved, and I am relieved (and looking forward to reaching my first ten pound marker).  :) 

Thank you all again for your support and encouragement. :)  Words can't describe how hard it has been for me as I live out in the middle of nowhere and have few friends to turn to (really, really small town.. can't help that).  Thanks again, and God Bless! :) :) :)

Metheri

Great job.  ;D ;D There are message boards on the WW website and other websites like www.3fatchicks.com and Dottie's weight loss zone (www.dwlz.com) and Hungrygirl.com.
Metheri
Moneypenny
Cruise Director and Brigade Secretary for Clan O'Ceallaig
Irish Penny Brigade

lordwriothsley

Sweetie I'm glad that this is working well for you.You still are in my thoughts and prayers.Keep up the good work and before you know it you'll be down to a comfortable and healthy weight.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"