News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cloak ... Is it just me?

Started by Woodland Artisan, October 24, 2008, 08:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodland Artisan

I just got finished making my wool cloak (made from old British Army blankets and dyed with our own handmade walnut woodworking dyes) and had a few things come up that I don't know if they are problems to be fixed or just something common with cloaks.  This is a half-circle cloak design that is nearly floor length, if that makes any difference.

The first problem is that it really wants to pull down the back causing the cloak pin in the front to ride on my throat after just a little moving around.

The second problem, which I'm thinking is caused a lot by the first problem, is that the opening in the front is really open too much (I think).  It doesn't "hang straight" when just standing.

Neither of these two problems are killers, but just something that bugs me.  Again, I'm not sure if these are actual things that can be fixed or are just life with a cloak.

Also, I know that wool is great for warmth and especially so in damp conditions but should I try putting a protectant (water, mildew, spot or dirt?) on it as well?

P.S.  And this thing is HEAVY .... but really warm.

isabelladangelo

It sounds like you might have the neckface a bit too far front.   If you cut the neck a bit more back and then re shape the hem of the front, you'll probably stop having the cloak pin problem.

operafantomet

A classical theatre trick is to add a sort of... whaddayacallit... a back strap? Basically two strings attaching the cloak like a backpack, or not quite, but similar (yeah, that made lots of sense...). The straps are fastened at the shoulders, but instead of going around each arm separately, they meet in the back. I wish I had a picture of it.... closest thing I have is these:

http://geocities.com/ilmutocostumes/uk2.jpg
See that pink string/band going under her arm? Look closely, it's there... It meets in the back, and although the cloak is also closed at the neck opening, the pink band avoids the cloak from pulling and "strangling" the wearer.

Kate XXXXXX

This is a common problem with a half circle cloak.  Something a little more tailored at the shoulders helps it sit ON the shoulders and not slide back, as well as allowing the front to close.

tigerlilly

Quote from: Woodland Artisan on October 24, 2008, 08:13:50 PM

Also, I know that wool is great for warmth and especially so in damp conditions but should I try putting a protectant (water, mildew, spot or dirt?) on it as well?

Lanolin is great for wool.  It protects the wool and makes it more water-resistant.  You could try a lanolin-enriched wool wash like Eucalan. You could also put your cloak in the bathtub with enough warm water to cover it, then melt a couple teaspoons pure lanolin (from the drugstore) in a cup or so of hot water, pour it over the cloak, and swish it around to distribute the lanolin.  This may leave your cloak feeling very slightly greasy to the touch (probably won't stain your clothes, though), but it'll be much more resistant to the elements.

JessicaB

Some people are allergic to lanolin, so do a test-patch first if you're unsure.

jcbanner

My cloak has the same issue if I'm not careful. I think its just how much extra weight is on the back vs the front.  what I've seen a few people do is to put some weights on the cloak to hold it in place. 

if you can imagine 2 decorative metal pins on the front, (one at each shoulder) with a chain going across the front. acts both as a weight to hold in place, and the chain works as a secondary, decorative fastener.

as far as water proofing, I cheated and used "campdry"  the same stuff I use on my boots, and I think they even label it for water proofing tents.  some water still gets into the wool, but it doesn't just soak directly in, it takes a bit to start getting damp.

PurpleDragon

This is a common problem with this style of cloak, and some cloak styles in general.  My own cloak was made so that it sits on the shoulders and NOT the throat area.  i.e. tailored shoulders.  This helps distribute the weight more evenly across the back and chest so there is little movement. 

As to waterproofing, I use Scotchguard (if you can find it) myself, one can covers my cloak and my wives cloak (inside and out).
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Woodland Artisan

Thanks for the advice, everybody.

I believe my original problem was, indeed, not cutting the "neck cutout" far enough back.  I'm not sure, but I think I can take out the seam between the hood and cape and re-cut that later.

I have no idea on how to make a "tailored shoulder".  Any online sources that (VERY) easily shows how that is done?  A question on a tailored shoulder though ... is it noticeable to viewers?  And, if so, would that be something appropriate to a woodsman / peasant type of the period?

Regarding Lanolin or other coating:  I'm assuming that that might interfere with future plans to dye the wool a darker color?  I'm thinking of dying it darker in a month or two.

While I don't think a chain going across the front would be appropriate for me, I'm thinking perhaps a rope or strap of leather might work.  I know what you're getting at and it might just do the trick until I re-cut the neck.  Maybe even attaching it on the inside-front.

Very good, folks.  Thanks.   I'm going to leave it as it is right now because it's already packed for LARF and there's just no time before I leave.  But, there's always all winter.