News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Reenactment photo gallery

Started by groomporter, October 26, 2008, 09:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

I'm an organizer for a "Victorian" (actually anywhere from 1830's to 1920's) living history event in a local cemetery every other year. And by organizer, I mean I'm half of the planning committee, as well as the writer for the actor's monologues, and the director for the actors.
Here's some pics of 2007's event:

If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Welsh Wench

Dustin, I love the pictures and it proves that the women were not just hoop-wearing, fan-fluttering ladies,

Not exactly a 're-enactment' but my instructor was telling us she went to the Titanic exhibit.
Upon entrance, each received a replica boarding pass of an actual passenger.
They would see the various aspects of the Titanic and at the very end, you found out whether you survived or died.
That has to be an unsettling feeling, to hold a boarding pass of someone who actually was there.

As far as Gettysburg, this article says that the entire town became the battlefield. Bodies were left awaiting burial on the streets of the town and the women would saturate handkerchiefs with peppermint and vanilla to cover the stench of death.
To this day, they said you can smell the peppermint-vanilla in the air.

Regardless, the site here makes for good campfire stories late at night.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/gettysburg.html

Now back to the subject at hand....Does anyone know if during the re-enactments if you become or take the name of an actual soldier that fought the battle?
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Anna Iram

Dustin, I'm not sure if I'm way off base, but your pics make me think of Spoon River Anthology. Is that what your group does? Write monologues for those in the graves they stand by?

I worked with a theatrical writers group some years back in NYC anbd we wrote and produced something similar. it was a haunting experience.

Dustin

Quote from: Anna Iram on October 27, 2008, 01:22:23 PM
Dustin, I'm not sure if I'm way off base, but your pics make me think of Spoon River Anthology. Is that what your group does? Write monologues for those in the graves they stand by?

I worked with a theatrical writers group some years back in NYC anbd we wrote and produced something similar. it was a haunting experience.

Yep, that sounds about right. We have tours through the cemetery, and actors talk about their characters' lives. See my post in the Midwest section for more details.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Anna Iram

That's so cool. What a great idea. If you find you need a southern fan fluttering type let me know.  :)

Lady Nicolette

They do a similar thing here in Nashville every year at the Mt. Olivet Cemetery.  It's very cool.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Anna Iram

Hmmm...maybe I should look about and see if anyone around here is doing it. It would be fun to write something like that again.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

In my part of Minnesota here in the Southeast corner is very big into the Civil War period. Another period I love doing garb for.

Those who are havily involved in Reenactments are passionate about their clothing looking so precise, even down to the handstitching, cooking utensils, tenting, etc. This is another version of the SCA, but bigger!!! For many, it's a lifestyle!!!

This past summer, I attended two small town festivals wearing my 1860's Day dress I made from a lovely Calico. The bodice top had the Pagoda sleeves with the false sleeves underneath. Even the Civil War reenactors asked me where did I get my dress. Elizabeth was dressed in the period as well.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

groomporter

Not reenactment, mostly Victorian / Goth, but some fantastic outfits.
http://www.viona-art.com/pages/frameset01/setmenu.html

A Victorian/Goth picnic from the same site
http://www.viona-art.com/pages/festivals/victorianpicnic2008.html

A few might fit under the fairy heading
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: groomporter on November 30, 2008, 09:24:23 AM
Not reenactment, mostly Victorian / Goth, but some fantastic outfits.
http://www.viona-art.com/pages/frameset01/setmenu.html

A Victorian/Goth picnic from the same site
http://www.viona-art.com/pages/festivals/victorianpicnic2008.html

A few might fit under the fairy heading

Groomporter

Thanks for this link. I'm a HUGE fan of this style pf clothing and the "Goth" scene. It's now in my favorites to visit often to admire. I wish Americans did this as it looks like this is in Europe.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

groomporter

Yeah I remember when the Goth scene started with some of the Edwardian and Victorian influences it had but with tattered and torn shirts and hose and I thought "I know how do this -right-" -and go for the elegant look like in these pics. Always been a bit of a Victorian wannabe.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Very cool link, Groomporter!!

Next year's theme for Costume Con 27 in Baltimore is Villians, Vixens, adn Vampires. Ricky and Karen Dick are the Con hosts. Thye're very big into the Goth look and originators of the Costume Con convention..

I will be making an 18th Century ensemble. I will be a Vampire attending the Venice Carnivale in what I am going to make for the Social Night. Completeed with 18th Century stays, hip hoops, etc. A decorated/plimed tricorn atop my white wig with my makeup done very similar in the photos. Should be a fright!!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

groomporter

The pic below from the same website made me really think that an evil jester character could be fun. Or maybe my really fancy 18th century outfit with some pale make-up and fangs could be fun.

Lady Catherine

I know Im a little late, but here are mine:

I actually started as a civil War re-enactor. We married at the battle of Sacremento, Ky.

2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

Lady Catherine

my hubby's regiment

my hubby and his Blazer

And finally me and the cast of Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde, I played a drunken Irish cook, that's me guzzling! As a side note, the furniture in the play was ALL mine, my house looked bare!
2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!