News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need help with Noble Character

Started by Cateyes, November 03, 2008, 09:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cateyes

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted made this gown for me.  It is so beautiful!  I made the surcoat, the caul and the underthings.  Now I need a character to go with it.  Everyone kept asking who I was in character and I had nothing.  I know this picture isn't the best but all of the ribbon is covered in pearls.  There is a lot of jewerly and pearls that go with the gown and it's all made from Deep Blue and Hunter Green velvet.  I would rather not play someone from England so that I would not have to worry so much about stepping on the toes of the court members of the faire.  I know I would have to be of fairly high rank because of the Sumptuary laws.  I can speak french but also wouldn't mind being from Spain or Italy.  Any ideas?

DonaCatalina

How about Doña Ana Mauriquez? She was Queen Eleonor's
(Wife of King Francois of France and sister to the King of Spain, Carlos I) 
chief lady in waiting and her closest confidant.
She preferred to wear flat caps like you are wearing in your photo.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

renren

And there seems to be a fair bit of resemblance between the 2!
Beatiful dress, BTW!
I have a frock coat from Lady K, and am very happy with it!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Cateyes

DonaCatalina that is perfect!  Thank you!  Now to do some research!

BLAKDUKE

Cateyes:

I would like to offer the following.  As you said you did not want to step on any cast members toes.  A lot of people like to portray an actual person.  If you go to a lot of faires you could possibly run into someone who is also portraying that character either on cast or "May the Gods forbid" another playtron with the same idea.  To me,  playing an actual character limits ones ability to expand the character.  Use the actual person as maybe a guide, but develop a purely fictitous character, that way you can meander a bit here and there as you see fit.  Taking on an actual person, you are then limited by what is known of that person.  If a lot is known then you are bound and tied to be that person with no room for change, if very little is known of the person then you are open to the comeback from possibly someone who has the access to more and deeper research than you.    Please do not take this my being an expert on it.  It is merely another thought process.  Good luck and let us all know what you decide to do.

The BLAKDUKE
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Cateyes

Blakduke that is a good idea.  I go to a lot of faires and it would be fun to make my own character.  It would also be a bit easier than having to make up what I can't research.  I am just worried about being over the top.

BLAKDUKE

M'lady

If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing, to excess and over the top but always with PIZZ-AZZ.  I have found during my travels countless mundanes who have come up to me and said "boy I wish I had the nerve to do that".  To which my reply has always been "then why not do it.  When you do, you leave behind those in that other world, that would scoff at you and then they would come up to you and say "girl I wish I had the nerve to do that"  In the playtron world we are in command and should some member of the mundane world happen to scoff at you and pick you apart, you would be amazed at how many friends that you never knew you had come rushing to your rescue.  I had that happen to me very early in my beginning days.  so go for it.

BLAKDUKE 

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Cateyes on November 04, 2008, 11:58:38 AM
Blakduke that is a good idea.  I go to a lot of faires and it would be fun to make my own character.  It would also be a bit easier than having to make up what I can't research.  I am just worried about being over the top.

M'lady

What faires do you go to?????  What persuasion of french  Canadian or Parisian???

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: DonaCatalina on November 03, 2008, 11:15:09 AM
How about Doña Ana Mauriquez? She was Queen Eleonor's
(Wife of King Francois of France and sister to the King of Spain, Carlos I) 
chief lady in waiting and her closest confidant.
She preferred to wear flat caps like you are wearing in your photo.

Dona Catalina:

a question.  Under your picture you have stylized yourself as: Catalina Osorio de Moscoso y Lopez de Xerez.  My question is what does the 'de' stand for and also the 'y'.  What would be the french equivelant?

BLAKDUKE 

DonaCatalina

'de' trandlates in to English as 'of', 'Y' tranlastes into English as 'and'
Catalina who's father was Hernan Osorio de (of) the region named Moscoso and (Y) whose mother was Ana Lopez of the region named Xerez (of Jerez....i.e. Sherry)

The French Equivalent would be Catherine Osorio D'Moscoso et Lopez du Xerez.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

As far as I can tell Dona Ana Mariquez is probably a daughter of Pedro Mariquez de Lara, Duke of Najera.
His father was Diego Gomez-Manrique De Lara Y Gonzalez de Mendoza, Count of Trevino.
It was not unusual before the 1700's for Spanish names to change form and spelling, especially among the Hidalgos.
I think there may have been political differences between Father and Son since the Dukedom was created for Pedro Mariquez.
genealogy
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess