News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Urgent question re: The Celtic Croft

Started by Viola, November 06, 2008, 09:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viola

We have someone here from out of town who's interested in getting measured for a pre-pleated kilt from <a href="http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/">The Celtic Croft</a>, and wants to know the gossip.

Has anyone bought anything from them?  Do you like it?  Good customer service?  Worth it?

I'm used to Utili-kilts, so I got nothin.  He leaves at 5pm today, so any advice people can give me would be AWESOME.  :)  Thanks!
**  I could not think of a thing to say,  **
***  but I have a signature anyway.  ***

gem

Milord's kilt is from them, plus we see them every year at our local Highland games.  I've found their customer service to be *amazing.*  One year I ordered a brooch for Milord's birthday, but it wasn't in stock in the stone color I wanted.  Within about five minutes of me placing my order (online), they called me to ask if I wanted to swap it out for something different, or wait until the new stock came in... and they waited on the phone while I pored over their website and made up my mind.

As for the kilt... getting it took *forever.*  I ordered it in September, I believe, for Christmas... and received it in time for Milord's birthday... in March.  Part of that, of course, is the availability of the tartans, which are imported and sometimes custom-woven.

(I will add, though, that in their most recent print catalogue there was an editorial decision made that really made me question them... a photo caption was incredibly crude and sexist.  So you may also take that into account.)

Viola

Curious what the caption was...

OK, thanks.  I let him know.  :)
**  I could not think of a thing to say,  **
***  but I have a signature anyway.  ***

knarlyknot

Gem,
I saw the same caption and thought it was a poor choice.

peggyelizabeth

I know this is a bit late, but...

Joseph and Lorrie are the owners of The Celtic Croft. I've known them for years & they are my vendors at both Scottish Ramble and the MN Scottish Fair. They are good people and the products are lovely. They take good care of their customers.

Gem's correct, it will take a long time to get a custom kilt, but that's because a really good custom kilt can take just as long to produce as it takes to make a custom noble gown. It's a specialty garment and most of it is stitched by hand b/c it just doesn't work to do it by machine. Depending on the tartan it can take much longer b/c small clans tartans aren't milled as often as those of larger clans, so just getting the fabric in from Scotland can be the largest part of the wait. These are not "starter kilts". For a entry level kilt, I'd recommend another one of my Scottish Ramble & MN Scottish Fair vendors, The Frugal Corner. www.thefrugalcorner.com

Lady de la Warr

Again - a bit late but...........

I have never purchased a kilt from them but have purchased many other things from them (sporran, belt, buckles, etc.) and I have always found their merchandise to be very high quality, they are very nice to deal with and treat you right. I am always in fact, very pleased with the experience and will most definitely purchase from them again.

I get my kilts (for my husband) from Stillwater Kilts - but he wears Irish kilts so the tartan isn't an issue with him. If I ever decide to get him a tartan I may very well purchase it from Celtic Croft as well as I have heard their kilts are very high quality and everything else I have purchased there was impeccable so .................

Hatter

I have and Ancient kilt from them and love it.   I Their customer service is great!! I could not be more pleased.

Oldarcher

I have communicated with Celtic Croft via email several times regarding footwear, alas I have not purchased from them. BUT I wouldnt hesitate, and  they are very local. I guess we'll have to go to the Scottish Games and such to meet them inperson!

groomporter

Quote from: Oldarcher on November 20, 2008, 05:00:56 PM
I guess we'll have to go to the Scottish Games and such to meet them inperson!

No need to wait that long they'll be at the Scottish Ramble in February at the Landmark Center in St. Paul
http://www.scottishramble.org/
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?