News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

traditional tool collections

Started by jcbanner, November 07, 2008, 12:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbanner

What sort of tradional tools do you all have? Anything intresting or out of the ordinary?

I got this idea from the Port of Call forum topic: Post your Weapons
I don't have many weapons to post about. (Modest in relation to rennies anyways)  but wow do I have a good list of traditional tools I can post about!

basic rundown of some of my favorites:

*several drawknives, including one made by my great grandfather, one made by a friend, and one made by myself.

*old hand augers, I love when people at faire ask me about them, I tell them I'm looking for the worlds largest wine bottle so I can use one as a corkscrew.

*my mallets. one, about 3 foot long with a tree stump as the mallet head, love walking around balancing it on the edge of my hand and telling it to "stay"

*my axes, management doesn't like it so much when I pull the above stunt with those. (yet for some reason, they don't say anything to me when I'm walking around flipping my newest hand axe overhead)

*no wood worker is complete without a shaving horse, almost not worth mentioning.

*Coopers chime adze,  doesn't get much use, but nice for show, has a nice "medieval" look to it.

*newest*  about the largest wood gough I've ever seen, started as a car-spring untill I got ahold of it last month. 

I started off with nothing more then an axe and that drawknife my great-grandfather made. I've made and/or remade most the others I have from there.

I've got more, but I'd rather hear about your collections!  so tell us about what you have

UrsulaChandler

Almost had... brass candle snuffer. Not the rod with the bell the end that is the modern snuffer. I mean the scissors with the box on the blade for trimming wicks.

I found the in the French Quarter junk shop. They didn't know what the snuffer was--they did know the wanted $50 dollars for it.  :(
Ursula Chandler
Louisiana Renaissance Festival
Cast, RLHC