News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

So, who likes to whittle?

Started by RenaissanceInBlood, November 16, 2008, 11:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenaissanceInBlood

I recently got into whittling cames. I have my first one almost finished. It was a smooth bark tree branch that I found out in my grandparent's horse lot. I stripped the bark off of it, and then cut the ends off of it by using a pair of pliers that my grandfather used to use to cut tobacco stalks with. Too bad because I had to lay the stick on the ground, and place the pliers where I wanted it cut, then stomp down on the handle to slice through the wood. Gramps got mad because - oops - I broke the handle. He got over it pretty quickly because my uncle said that next time they come in from Florida, he'd fix them. Anyway... After cutting both ends of the wood, I rubbed all of the under bark off with some sandpaper, and carved a handle at the thickest end, and put a rubber chair piece thing, I can't remember what they're called at the other end.

I like carving canes. My family and I went to the park the other day and I found a few branches there to carve on. Only problem now is that the weather is getting bad so I can't go out and sit for a long time with the wood and a KAI 1640 Vapor in my hand 'cause I will probably get sick. Oh well, I could always lay a plastic sheet down in the house, and do it there....

Tammy

I whittle. I've made wands, about to start on a few walking sticks, and I've got a half set of ogham sticks ready for sanding. I also whittled the handle of a broom for a witch's besom.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

BrokenArts

If you haven't seen my thread on *walking sticks*.  It has a lot of useful information.  Worthy of a read.

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=2450.0

rogheff

Creator of FInely Crafted Hiking Staffs and Shillelaghs