News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Plunder Fest

Started by Angelhood, November 08, 2008, 07:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelhood

There be a new festival dedicated to land-locked pirates and privateers. Plunder Fest!!!!!

The dates are set (April 30, May 1, & 2, 2009, Yes I know this is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday....because this event is focused so highly on education of the time period the local school district is already involved and will be making this a field trip for as many classes as they can possibly bring.) The location will be at the Mesa County Fair Grounds at the Lions Club and Veteran's Parks. This event will be hosted by The Highland Rogues in the Grand Junction, Colorado area. This is a fund raiser for lots of local nonprofit organizations in our area, mostly youth organizations. The two primary beneficiaries will be Grand Junction Partners and the Boy Scouts.

I will keep you posted on updates of course. If you are interested in being a performer or a vendor at this festival...renmail me and I will get you in contact with the appropriate person.

******Vendor and Performer applications are now available.*********

I also need to mention, just so that there is not any confusion, that this festival is in no way associated with the Ravenshire faire.

I look forward to hearing from you either as a participant or patron.

Thanks.
Angelhood

Capt Spleen

Dis cud be er plundern fer........................................

***********************The Pirates O' Parrot Tea******************************

*Wil 'ave t' consort wit th' otter parody-totalers*

Angelhood

We would be honored to have your lot amoung us!

pktaxwench

Out of curiosity, while educational, will your people be versed in and open to modern fictional pirates?

My husband and I went to Ravenshire as Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow (since, for a change, we weren't working a Faire!), and were asked to enter the costume contest by two lovely members of the Royal Court.  Then when we got there, the King asked if our DJ was King Neptune and the queen had no idea who Jack Sparrow was, to say nothing of our Will Turner or Lizzie Swann.   It was, to say, surreal.  Even if you've never seen the PotC movies, they've been splashed across billboards, magazines, cereal boxes....but we felt rather awkward standing around, holding up the contest, while one of the Court gave Their Majesties a crash course in the PotC trilogy.

I think an educational pirate Faire is awesome.  I come from a reenactment background in FL, where I aided in the sack of many a city, and it's sad that being landlocked there just isn't enough piracy here. 

No quarter given!  Woot!

Angelhood

It's ironic that the Ravenshire Royalty claimed no knowledge of Sparrow and the lot as they themselves portray fictional and not historical regents.

Plunderfest will be open to any and all both historical and fictional.

The educational focus is going to be a lot on craftsmen and tradesmen of the time period. We are going to have the on-board-"ship" gun demonstrations that the Highland Rogues are well known for, as well as many crafters as we can get there. We've already got discussions going with spinners, weavers, blacksmiths, and a glass blower. We are also trying to find hand wood carvers, mariner's knot tying demos, pottery throwing, etc.

The other neat thing in the plans is that any child who attends and goes and spends enough time at one of the demonstrations to have learned something about it will receive a pass to go and play one of the games for free.

Thanks for the interest!

LadyFireKissed

Hey Angelhood, is the Plunderfest still going on? and if so what are the times that it will start and end?  I think that I could have fun if I knew what times to be there, also will there be water or should we bring our own? Also, where is it going to be held?

Angelhood

:'(Unfortunately, we've had to table this event until at least next year.

Mostly because the economy is so questionable right now. I'll post any further updates as they become available. Sorry to disappoint. I know we are all disappointed too!