News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ren Faire food challenge

Started by VIII, November 10, 2008, 12:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VIII

Last night, my wife, Susan, took out a Scarborough turkey leg (ScreamS actually).  She made pasta with butter and garlic and topped it with sliced turkey leg meat.  Simple but it was a fantastic meal!

Does anyone else have Ren Faire food recipes?

Not "I grab meat-on-a-stick and a beer then go watch the Bawdy Wenches show" but what do you do with the Ren Faire food you take home?
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Dayna

Take it Home?!?!  What a radical concept  :o

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Celtic Lady

How would one take home such food? I've never heard of such a thing (other than nuts and stuff that is already in sacks).

Bugsy

But ..... the turkey legs at faire aren't actually turkey though right?
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

KeeperoftheBar

I like to get a couple of Steak on a Stakes or Chicken on a Sticks and take them home.  I heat them up and serve with rice and a green salad.   Tastes like I slaved over a hot grill.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Malkavian

Quote from: Bugsey on November 11, 2008, 05:45:28 AM
But ..... the turkey legs at faire aren't actually turkey though right?

Cocker spaniel.

Celtic Lady

captmarga

There have been times at closing gate when the ribs or turkey legs are "buy one get one".  We've brought home turkey legs before.  Curran's favorite is to pull the meat off of them into bite-size chunks, then fix with pasta and shrooms in a cream sauce later.

Capt Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Malkavian

Quote from: captmarga on November 11, 2008, 10:46:41 AM
There have been times at closing gate when the ribs or turkey legs are "buy one get one".  We've brought home turkey legs before.  Curran's favorite is to pull the meat off of them into bite-size chunks, then fix with pasta and shrooms in a cream sauce later.

Capt Marga

:o I'd be inclined to get some for later too with that going on. Never noticed it before at CRF

Bugsy

Quote from: Celtic Lady on November 11, 2008, 09:40:36 AM
Yes they really are turkey.

awfully big turkeys, lol.

I must have heard a rumor.
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Lady Neysa

I've never actually taken home food from faire before other than cinnamon nuts which would be really good crushed up over ice cream.  However, I do like making faire-style food at home, does that count?   I like making Scotch eggs,  and whenever I make beef stew I serve it over a large split open crusty roll, like one of my favorite food vendors does.  I've also made fried mac and cheese minus the stick. Nom!  I know that's not exactly what you were talking about, but it's still good eatin'! 

lilaney

If there is anything left of the cooler after a weekend, I used to take it home and make slum gulleon.
(or, hobo stew as some know it as)
Tastes warm, the taste always changes as per the ingredients added.
Plus! It smells like faire in the middle of the week!!

One time we had Venison and what is the thinly sliced meat called, something fancy.. I forgot. Starts with a 'B', I think. another time it was a veggy medly that I threw some chili mac in for flavor.

Celtic Lady

Wow... I didn't think anyone else ever knew the term "slum gulleon". I thought that was a saying my mom made up  :D .

lilaney

I cannot remember which female relative said it first, but, that's what we all call it. I asked my uncle one time what it meant, and he said it was the nicest thing that he could say about it.

Also, if there are sweets left over anything tastes good mixed with ice cream!!
(And! It makes it look like Marble Slab/Stone Cold Creamery-esque quality)

Love Good Wood

i made some Scarborough chichen... seasoned it with "parsley, sage, rosemary and tyme"... pretty good