News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Will any of the Former Site be able to be brought over?

Started by FaireMare, May 13, 2008, 03:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaireMare

WIth the wreckage of the old castle, has there been or will there be any chance of saving any of the posts?

Magister

Faire:

From what John said in the other thread, it looks like this is a, "no".  The previous database that ran the forum is somewhat corrupt, and he is having a heck of a time getting to to even load.

Therefore, I wouldn't hold your breath. 

What I've started doing.. which is a slow and painful process.. is searching on Google, and finding "cached" versions of some of my more important threads.  Then making a text file with them in it.  From there I can copy and paste this in to the recreated thread here.  It doesn't look all that pretty, but it get the information over.

Let me know if you would like to try this...

- Mag

Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

gem

Mag, that is a *great* idea.

We should spread the word and see how much we can track down and save.

What did you use for search terms?  I'm not sure I'd know where to start.

Escarlata

Gem, I've been doing this for various people. The following things will help.

in the google search box, include Site:renaissancefestival.com

That will cause Google to only look at R/F, not the places where someone might have referred to the same subject.

Think of any unique words that might have been used in the post. Include your name if you know you posted in the thread.

I remembered someone had made a French gown, so did a search on that and got pretty good results.

site:renaissancefestival.com french gown

This is a really ugly URL link that I shortened with TinyURL, but check out the results.

The link to the finished dress post shows up first. Be sure to click the word "cached" under the URL, not on the title. The title will only return an error.

If you get too many results, try re-doing the search, using more words from the title to narrow down the results.

When you look at posts that you find, you may notice that the thread went to a second page which you can't get to. At the very bottom of the Google search results page, there may be a notice that they have omitted some duplicates and a link to re-do the search without the duplicate omission. That will usually bring up multiple pages. If you're real lucky, you'll find all the pages and can save them off or copy out the pertinent parts.

I was able to find all nine pages of the Romanceteers Ball for Wenchie last night.

Let me know if you need help, I've had pretty good luck. And trust me, luck is all it is. There are still some things that I'd like to have back that just return an error even though Google says it has them. My profile from the old boards is one of those things. I was hoping not to have to recreate the list of faires I've attended. Oh well!

Good luck searching everyone.

Admins: Does anyone have any objection to these instructions being used to create a new thread on how to find old R/F posts? I'd love to see someone write up the instructions on how they used the wayback archive, I didn't have any luck with that at all.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Anna Iram

Quote from: Welsh Wench on May 16, 2008, 07:18:29 AM
Thanks to Escarlata and a few things I had found in my files, The Romanceteers Ball 2007 has been saved!

I'll end up writing it as a narrative eventually.
I mean, after all....Mad Jack shot the clock down at closing time!   :D

And that was also how I found the Lexicon for Amras. Google search--cached.

WW I am not certain but I do believe I attended that ball . I think out of respect for your fellow writers if you have recovered a story you should post it as is rather than rework it into your own tale. I'm sure of course you intend to do so.

Anna Iram

Esc thank you for posting the play by play on how to recover cached posts.  There are some things I'd like to recover and haven't had much luck. Perhaps this will do the trick!

Lady Anne Clare

I used Sagittarius Uisce Beatha site:renaissancefestival.com as a search and it came up with most of the threads I posted in.  I admit I didn't post very often or in a wide array of threads but for those that did, their name probably would have a better chance at recovering more threads.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

BLAKDUKE

Is there any chance that the ren-mails that were traded between people can be salvaged?????    I know it's a minor point but just asking.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Escarlata

Quote from: Sagittarius Uisce Beatha on May 16, 2008, 08:30:31 AM
I used Sagittarius Uisce Beatha site:renaissancefestival.com as a search and it came up with most of the threads I posted in. 

Just a note, this may give erroneous results if you had a picture in the header banner. Because of the alternate titles listed with each picture, your name may show up on lots of pages, whether you posted in the thread or not.

*giggling* I know this because the picture I gave John for the banner was narrow. I think I'm on five of the banner strips because if he needed to fill a little bit of space, my picture would fit. Leinad misses that from the old forum, the banner that had his picture had me on either side of him. *frowning* Can you really imagine if there were two of me? The PTB wouldn't do that to the world.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Anna Iram

Esc. Here's the link to the wayback archives and the results I received. I typed in Renaissance festival.com It gave me a page with a long list of links to various threads and forum pages.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Once again it's real hit or miss. Some pages will allow you into individual threads and some will not.

theChuck

i posted the stuff about the wayback machine. the direct link to the latest copy they have is here.

i may start working on trying to gather up the faire directory and store it in a db. the information will be eight months old, but i guess it's better than nothing.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

anne of oaktower

Hey all,  I just did a google search using my ren name and the previously suggested "site:renaissancefestival.com".  I made an awesome discovery!  If you look for search results that come specifically from boardreader.com (not in the title, but down where the link is listed at the bottom of each individual result), you will find that it will pull up old threads from R/F.   Scroll down the page a bit and you will find some of our old topics, then click on "Thread" and it will bring up all replies to that topic.

For example:  I typed in "unicorn hunting regulations site:renaissancefestival.com"  in the google search.  The second result is from boardreader.com.  (The title on the result is "The Lady and The Unicorn")  I clicked on it.  The third link down on the new page is a link to all 403 (Yes, all of them!!!) replies to "What are you reading right now?"   Next below that is "If you've been to London...", and next below that is "Unicorn Hunting Regulations".  All resulting threads and replies seem to be accessible.  I have no idea how much we'll be able to find, but it's a start.

Hope this helps those who are searching for lost stories and links.   ;D

Admins:  If you think this would be more helpful if posted elsewhere, please feel free to move it.
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

anne of oaktower

Important Note:  After getting to the boardreader.com site -

It does not work if you click on the title of thread.  This only works if you click below the topic you are looking for...on the place where it says

Threadshow this thread (#posts)

(If you just click on the title of the thread, it will bring up an ERROR 404 page.)
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."