News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bow Maintenance

Started by Luna, November 13, 2008, 02:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

a couple years ago i bought a wooden longbow at TRF and (this part is bad) they gave me instructions for maintaining it, but i lost it  :-[ I know I am horrible!
so if anyone can help, if ya could give me basic tips for maintaining my bow. i figure the string needs waxed and the bow itself may need some tlc
but if you know of any good products/ instructions i would be very grateful

Cormac

Make sure to store the bow unstrung laying flat on a shelf.  Buy or make a bow sock to keep the bow from getting scratched or digned when not in use.  Do not prop it in a corner or leave it strung for a prolonged period of time.  Use a bow stringer to string and unstring the bow.  A sting keeper is handy for keeping the string in line when the bow is stored.  Wax the string on a regular basis.  I apply beeswax to the string prior to shooting.  If the bow is finished it shouldn't require too much to maintain.  Wipe it down with a light liquid wax on a soft cloth once or twice a year.  If it is not finished rub it down with vaseline once or twice a year.  Don't leave it in the car or expose to extremes of tempature.  Check it prior to shooting for any signs of stress or cracking.  Check the string for signs of fraying.  Don't over draw and don't hold at you anchor point too long (I consider 5-7count a max, but some will say 10).  If I think of anything else that might be helpful I'll tack it on later.