News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Upon what sort of ship do you sail?

Started by Obadiah Jib, November 14, 2008, 11:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Scotsquatch

Since I was on Submarines for 20 years, I imagine my ship as a very stylized and magically enhanced verion of the first submarine, the Turtle...lol!

Look it up!

But picture it a hundred times bigger, with a propeller shaft driven by pedals, pedalled by mighty warriors.  Warrior pirates, but more like privateers with allegience and a cause.

You couldn't go deep in the Turtle, but then, who needed to back then?  They didn't have sonar or radar or airplanes to detect you!

Just hover under the surface...men pedalling dilligently to spin the prop shaft...come up UNDER your victim's vessel...bore a hole into the hull, attach your charge of gunpowder with a timed fuse, and then pedal like hell out of there!   BOOM!!!!

Down she goes to Davy Jone's Locker!

And if you wanted to pillage it first?

Pedal in close under the surface and just wait until an hour before nightwatch is relieved by the morning watch...when watches are the most vulnerable to surprise.  Surface slowly, kissing the hull broadside...run up your rope ladders, silence the watch, board the ship, and take her without a shot!

Aye...a Submariner Pirate Ship...that IS the way to go!

I always fantasized when I was in the Navy of doing this to foreign whaling vessels...why not?...they would never know what hit them, and it would be great practice for the fire control and torpedo men...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti
Siege The Day!!!
Obside Diem!!!

The Scotsquatch

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on November 22, 2008, 11:40:42 AM
Quote from: Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter on November 22, 2008, 04:50:01 AM
Here be our vessel, Hellion, formerly HMS Hellion,  but we had a disagreement with the management

And, yes, we travel on the highways etc with full rigging up ( though it takes one hell of a lot of gas to do that)

Outstanding sir!

Of course for myself I would worry that the temptation to roll down the windows and fire a broadside at fellow drivers on cell phones would end my days of piracy.

AWESOME!!!  We saw your modified Astro Van at the CT Renfaire this year...you even stayed at the same hotel we did...lol!  VERY cool!  We have an Astro too, but different style of "conversion" van...lmao!

Kev
Kev and Patti
Siege The Day!!!
Obside Diem!!!

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Bushnell's little submersible always facisnated me too, especially when I was a kid.  Most folks don't realize how early the actualization of an even older dream for Man took place. 

Dolphins,eh? What boats?  THough not in the service, I've been on a few 688 class subs, we're a subcontractor  and I was lucky enough to receive invites. Amazing pieces of equipment.

Hijacking over.

I always pictured Hellion as a 12 gun brig,  shallow draft and not very weatherly but just the ticket for cutting out larger ships. Not armed particularly well, with 6 pounders, except for an iron 18 lb carronade mounted amidships on the larboard side. Its our last resort, but one shot between wind and water pretty much concludes all arguements.

If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

The Scotsquatch

I was on the Hartford, the Philidelphia, the Memphis, and finally, the Hampton.  688s and 688Is, Los Angelos Class.  Great technology, mostly good times, no regrets...but I have a HELL of a lot more fun now making and selling catapults at Renfaire! 

Now we set sail in our Terra-bound submarine, Excalibur.  She is our fully self contained 27 foot 1977 Itasca motorhome that we live and travel in fulltime doing Renfaire...updated and modified, although a work in progress, she runs like a dream and all systems are perfectly functional!   

The Helm:

People ask us if our little vessle gets crowded with my wife and myself, our 2 German Shepherds, our Himilayan cat, and our Cayuga duck...to which I reply, "its a lot more room than living on a Sub!  Granted a Sub is a 120 feet long, but its crammed with 120 smelly sailors...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti
Siege The Day!!!
Obside Diem!!!

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Rani Zemirah

The Liberty Belle - 84' Double Masted, Gaff Rigged Schooner

She's long and broad, low in the belly, and she'll lay on the wind like a lover... and when she's full and by with the bone in her teeth nothing built can catch her!

(yeah, she's real... and she's berthed in the Conch Republic... and I have sailed her, and lived aboard, as well)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Nicolette

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Captain Jack Wolfe

I called my first ship the Flattery because it got me nowhere.  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Lady Nicolette

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Welsh Wench

Maybe you were using the wrong kind of fuel, Jack.  ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Renee Buchanan

When I looked at Jack's post, I thought he said the name of the ship was the Flatulence.

Then I read Wenchie's post:  "Maybe you were using the wrong kind of fuel, Jack."

And thought:  OMG

I think I need reading glasses.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Captain Jack Wolfe

Nah, the Flatulence just puttered around.  It was almost as if the Royal Navy could sniff us out anywhere!  :o :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Rani Zemirah

Sounds like a... pungent tale, that one, perhaps worth writing down in the logs...?   ::)  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Cloverpogue

~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~

Morgan Dreadlocke

A 2 masted Brig all of 12 foot long. 2 years in the doodlin' stage now.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.