News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sherwood Forest Faire

Started by rengypsy, May 13, 2008, 08:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

ok, most of you on here have heard what i am planning for swff.  it will develop in phases over the years...but i wanna run the basics of the first year by yall and get your take on it.  it's gotta be great for a first year faire.  its gotta be something everyone who comes says, "wow. worth trying to make it back before the last weekend.  and, i wonder what next year will bring?"

but, it will still be a first year faire.  no illusions.

some of the basics:

no chain link fences or plastic on the faire grounds
flush privies
one pub--accessible during the faire, as well as at nite
four stages + 6-8 platforms--stages for acting and platforms for music or one man/woman shows
joust area (hold your breath for what i have planned for joust)
fairie / fantasy woods
kids area
games
vendors
--jewelry
--clothing
--leather
--swords
--pottery
--glass
--a few demonstrations
--wooden mugs
--nenna
--hand in wax
--fortune telling
--walking sticks/staves
--pewter
--art
--heraldry
--sca possibly
--music instruments
--swords/shields for kids
--garlands
--fairie wings and horns
--souveniers
--juggling sticks and crystal balls
(others???)

a druidic stone circle w/drumming
chapel
food and drink booths
wishing well
camping privy w/showers

in the future:
more stages
town square
a statue garden
hobbit village in camp grounds (cabins to rent)
pirates cove w/ship-stage and separate pub
more privies

it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

CatAshtrophy

This faire sounds like it's going to be really neat. I'm already excited about it. I wish you the best of luck, and I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I wish I had some skills to offer for help making this faire come about, but I don't think I have any that would be of use. Good luck!

dbaldock

rengypsy,

Sounds like you foresee having four main areas in Sherwood Forrest Faire ---

1) Nottingham Castle and Town (probably near the parking and main entrance if that's where the Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem Pub will be, with access from inside and outside of the Faire)

Had another thought about this: I bet the "Castle" could be built to have the Main Entrance Gate in the middle - with the Pub on one end and an Inn at the other end (if you don't mind getting the permits to run a small Inn/Motel).  The Faire Offices could also be incorporated into one end or the other of the "Castle" building.

2) Robin Hood's Sherwood Forrest Hideout & Stage (a place for the multi-story Tree House you mentioned before)

3) Hobbit and Fae Village & Community (this may also need to be near the parking areas if you're planning to have rental cabins there)

Another thought about having rental cabins - If they're on-site (inside the fence), would there be problems with insurance and having patrons there at night without also having Security on-site all night as well?

4) Pirate Cove Lake & Ship Stage (would you have a late-night Pub here, or would the Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem Pub be the late night one?)

Wish I lived closer, so I could be more involved with helping to design & build the faire.

Take Care,
David Baldock

EDIT: Updated my thoughts about various things.
EDIT #2: Added question about insurance and having rental cabins on-site.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Element of Air

Oh this is so exciting.

I live in Austin and this is making me so happy to hear about. I am actually going to school as an interior designer and I have been helping my mom and dad with carpentry and all those fun Fix It type things. If you need an extra set of hands that is not scared to get down and dirty as well as knowing how to use a power tool and has a good eye for design, let me know.

I would love to get more involved and donate my time.
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

rengypsy

characters we will be seeking for acting troupe, as well as stage performances...
(again, the first faire dates will be march 2010--u.s. highway 290--paige, texas...35 miles east of austin)

robin (lesser noble: robin of loxely) hood and his merry men
lords and ladies from the shires of nottingham, york, and derby
richard the lion hearted
nobles who return w/richard from the holy crusades
the pied piper
jester
jugglers
monks/priest
druid
lunatic
beggars
wenches
sheriff of nottingham
nottingham jailer
magician
fairies
ogre
giant
elves
tree ent/leaf creature
centaur
shambling mound
drow
and, of course,
pirates

fun, fun, fun...

Autouloucous

Hey all---

I want you who are interested in entertainment to know that we want our stage acts to make up the bulk of the running-around-the-faire actors as well. For new talent-- which we want to see a lot of--- we envision a system of apprenticeship, followed by guildsmanship, followed by mastership as one gains seniority, tenyor.  The doulble roll of stage-acting plus street-guerilla-improv will make for a long day at the faire, but it will encourage a good pace, and will be a great way to plug one's particular act while they are galavanting around.  To get this project off the ground we must all be putting in 200% of our effort, because we must build not only structures and signs and artwork, but reputation and memories for our patrons.  As the Faire develops i will be working with the entertainers, so i want to say now that it will be those who are most willing to be on thier feet, in costume, in character ALL DAY who will have the best opportunity with us.  This is how I have approached my character at the Faires i have worked, and i won't ask more than i would be willing to do my self---- Help us make this a mad-cap, energetic, unforgetalbe fest, and we will all reward each other. Hip HIP HUZZAH

rengypsy

we put another 18 acres adjacent to the 87 under contract--to close the same day as the rest of the land--july 31st.  this is a cleared tract which we will use as parking.  this also allows us to send patrons down old potato road off 290 or down old highway 20 off highway 21.  good traffic flow.

the billboard should be up in mid august.  you will love the design work (done by a wonderful artist living in austin). 

start getting excited.  i am.

rengypsy

Lord Dragonspyre

Might I suggest...

If you plan to do season passes eventually, then perhaps instead of a piece of paper that can get lost, perhaps a medallion worn around the person's neck would suffice. Plus, it serves dual purpose as a memento of that year's faire experience...
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

Queen Bonnie

I am excited. This is very close to home for me!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Lord Dragonspyre on July 01, 2008, 11:48:00 PM
Might I suggest...

If you plan to do season passes eventually, then perhaps instead of a piece of paper that can get lost, perhaps a medallion worn around the person's neck would suffice. Plus, it serves dual purpose as a memento of that year's faire experience...

Scarborough's season passes seem to work ok. We laminate ours and they stay in our pouches. Printing a paper ticket has got to be more cost effective than getting a medallion made up.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lord Dragonspyre

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 02, 2008, 08:10:42 AM
Quote from: Lord Dragonspyre on July 01, 2008, 11:48:00 PM
Might I suggest...

Scarborough's season passes seem to work ok. We laminate ours and they stay in our pouches. Printing a paper ticket has got to be more cost effective than getting a medallion made up.

Initially, yes, but in the long run it can work out, especially if you utilize PMC for the material or even have plastic ones made up.

In any case, this is all speculation.

Horseman of Debauchery

rengypsy

or permanent tatoos...each year, a different design.  kinda makes you wanna come back year after year...  lol!

Lord Dragonspyre

Okay folks, as you may or may not know, I have been working with rengypsy recently to produce a basic layout of the fairegrounds and surrounding areas. So far, this is what we've come up with.

If you can't see it, here's the direct link... http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/LordDragonspyre/X.jpg

Horseman of Debauchery

Molden

Quote from: rengypsy on July 01, 2008, 07:57:32 PM
we put another 18 acres adjacent to the 87 under contract--to close the same day as the rest of the land--july 31st.  this is a cleared tract which we will use as parking.  this also allows us to send patrons down old potato road off 290 or down old highway 20 off highway 21.  good traffic flow.

the billboard should be up in mid august.  you will love the design work (done by a wonderful artist living in austin). 

start getting excited.  i am.

rengypsy

Holy Guacamole!!! Ya'll are rockin' along!

Are you still planning a gathering out there after you close on the land?

How funny - Old Potato Road is one of mine & Queen Shauna's favorite "comment signs" on the journey to and fro TRF!!

Continued Blessings and Positive Vibes on your venture!!!

Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

rengypsy

absolutely on the gatherings.  as soon as we close on july 31st, i will have the place mowed and half way presentable--though still primitive--for a gathering before trf cannon blasts in early october.

cheers,
rengypsy