News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'09

Started by jayadancer, November 23, 2008, 08:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayadancer

Just wanted to make the observation that despite the pervasive rumors, management decided *not*to add the two additional weekends to the front end of PRF for 2009.  It remains a six-weekend festival for the coming season.
~The Mystic Deliria, The Madness Amorous~

Scarlett

I am glad to hear the faire is returning.   I believe the rumors can be attributed to an article in the Pittsburgh Business Times in which faire owner Mr. Paradise was quoted as saying he would like to extend the season by a few weekends if
this years profits allow.

Now all we have to do is wait until next season..... :D
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Scotsman

... the best things in life are worth waiting for lass ...
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Professor M

That works well with the Great Lakes Medieval Faire, which seems to schedule so they end the week before we begin.  They're starting later in the '09 season (July 11) and they're ending August 16.  That gels perfectly with Pgh starting on August 22.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

kcdcchef

Quote from: jayadancer on November 23, 2008, 08:52:57 AM
Just wanted to make the observation that despite the pervasive rumors, management decided *not*to add the two additional weekends to the front end of PRF for 2009.  It remains a six-weekend festival for the coming season.

i heard again today when talking to some rennies that the season would be an 8 week run. and the web page is updateless. any news?

Professor M

Quote from: kcdcchef on December 10, 2008, 11:51:54 PM

i heard again today when talking to some rennies that the season would be an 8 week run. and the web page is updateless. any news?

I'm not doubting anyone's veracity, but I can tell you there is no citation more questionable than "I heard today when talking to some rennies....."

Actually, for as lacking as it is, the web page HAS been updated regarding the length of the run:

August 22-23, 29-30-31, September 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, 26-27 - 2009
Saturdays, Sundays and Labor Day Only! 

The fact is, for whatever rumors we may hear, we aren't privy to managements long-term plans.  Those of us that perform there are independent contractors, and we'll be contacted when it's time to get started.  If they are kicking around other dates we won't know until it's firm.  That said, I really doubt the dates will vary from the ones currently posted on the web site.  They also have a listing in Renaissance Magazine that echoes the same dates.  Since this is a major issue for the vendors, I doubt it will change. 

(But I wont' guarantee anything)
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

kcdcchef

Quote from: Professor M on December 11, 2008, 06:40:00 PM
Quote from: kcdcchef on December 10, 2008, 11:51:54 PM

I'm not doubting anyone's veracity, but I can tell you there is no citation more questionable than "I heard today when talking to some rennies....."

Actually, for as lacking as it is, the web page HAS been updated regarding the length of the run:

August 22-23, 29-30-31, September 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, 26-27 - 2009
Saturdays, Sundays and Labor Day Only! 

The fact is, for whatever rumors we may hear, we aren't privy to managements long-term plans.  Those of us that perform there are independent contractors, and we'll be contacted when it's time to get started.  If they are kicking around other dates we won't know until it's firm.  That said, I really doubt the dates will vary from the ones currently posted on the web site.  They also have a listing in Renaissance Magazine that echoes the same dates.  Since this is a major issue for the vendors, I doubt it will change. 

(But I wont' guarantee anything)

not trying to start a pissing competition or something, settle down, sheez. i just heard it from someone who sold soap there last season that she had heard from the renfaire mgmt that they were considering it, is all. good god, so sorry to start a renfaire war.

Terry Griffith

I thought the Professor was very courteous in his attempt to squash an untrue rumor.  Hearing a rumor from a vendor that won't even be back next year and then taking offense at hearing the opinion of a cast member who quotes the web site (available to anyone with the means to post here) seems a little odd and more than a bit suspicious.

"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Mistress Charlotte

Never have I known the Professor to partake in a "pissing" contest.  He is always factual and polite.  I didn't read anything in his post that reflected anything other than that...

As a vendor... The papers I signed at the end of the year reflected the dates that the professor provided.  I have already blocked them out.  Although... I do believe that any one (not just ren faire owners or managers) has the prerogative to change their mind.
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

blondekarma

Quote from: Mistress Charlotte on December 15, 2008, 10:50:31 PM
Never have I known the Professor to partake in a "pissing" contest.  He is always factual and polite.  I didn't read anything in his post that reflected anything other than that...

As a vendor... The papers I signed at the end of the year reflected the dates that the professor provided.  I have already blocked them out.  Although... I do believe that any one (not just ren faire owners or managers) has the prerogative to change their mind.

Jim Paradise change his mind? HA!  That'll never happen...

/sarcasm
I do not fear death- I fear a life unlived.

Be Cause.  See Effect.

If anything matters, then everything matters.

DuCoeur

Tone can often be misinterpreted in the writtenn word, that is why it is always important to chose ones words carefully and not quote out of context.

That being said....I am glad PRF is staying with the 6 week run. I would hate to miss opening weekend because GLMF is still running....
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

BLAKDUKE

Apparentely nobody has picked up on the error date.  There are 3 days listed for the ending week in August, i.e. 29, 30, 31.  I think there is a mistaken impression that this is Labor day weekend as they have only 2 days listed for the actual Labor day weekend of the 5th  and 6th.  Someone should tell them that Labor Day is the 7th of September not the 31st of August.   I sent an email to the address on the web site but no change and no answer.   
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

HOoOka

well...Dr M you said  GLMF and PRF "gel perfectly"....but I have to disagree from a vendor's standpoint...it's HELL!

it was nice to have at least 1 week off between to get my things moved.

and...also as a vendor - we WERE told by people in charge that they were considering adding weeks.  it was NOT just a rumor among "rennies". (although the validity of most of the "I heard it from another rennie" statement I will not comment on)

the 2009 contracts did not have extended dates on them as they were given to us at the end of the run of PRF.

Yunze should all know what that means.  absolutely.nothing.  JP can change his mind and we must bend to his will if that happens.

jayadancer

Since I'm the one who started this mess, I'd like to say in defense of myself that I also had spoken directly to someone high in management after PRF ended but before the entire staff had gone home.  I'm sorry I even mentioned it-- looks like I get my friends into a bit of a cyber-arguemnt.  While *I* certainly know who I talked to and the validity of the person's knowledge (and would never have passed the info on otherwise) I surely didn't mean to get the professor attacked just because I was unwilling to give up my sources!

I'm sorry guys.  I really was just trying to be helpful.   :-[
~The Mystic Deliria, The Madness Amorous~

kcdcchef

over it, moved on.

i should have been clearer on my source then saying a random "rennie". someone i know that was indeed a vendor there in 08 that i saw in the pittsburgh strip the week i made my post. and that day, i checked the site, which, had not been updated. then, later that week, the site was updated.

all good.

Scarlett

I guess no one read the Pittsburgh Business Times article.  Or my earlier post.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2008/08/18/story12.html

Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

kcdcchef

Quote from: Scarlett on January 07, 2009, 10:06:28 AM
I guess no one read the Pittsburgh Business Times article.  Or my earlier post.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2008/08/18/story12.html

i did, it is a good read.

mr. paradise and rky mtn festivals have done more, in my mind, for the pittsburgh renaissance faire than anyone since its inception. they actually made it into more of a real faire versus something that resembled a county faire in a giant eagle parking lot. seriously, they finally got some nice period looking permanent structures. the entrance alone was a big addition.

i go to the pennsylvania renaissance faire every october, and the kansas city renaissance festival every october as well. i would never spend more than 3 - 4 hours at the pittsburgh one based on the feeling that it was such a small faire, and people to their credit tried hard, but it just wasnt coming together.

i have no clue what the feeling is amongst those of you who work there about the direction it is now going, but from this patron's point of view, it seems to be turning into a real festival finally.

Terry Griffith

Good observations, kcdcchef.  Let me tweak them a bit with the benefit of some inside experience:

When reading something said by a promoter, especially in a public forum, you have to keep in mind that not all the scenarios presented are fully developed yet.  Some happen and some don't.  This was also the source of the ad that said we would have an exotic petting zoo with zebras.  An expansion of the site was being talked about and may yet happen but maybe not this year.  I would assume the same is true for the lengthening of the run but I didn't hear any talk of that last year.  More area and a longer run aren't necessarily going to increase the overall proceeds so it will be done very cautiously.

The other observation regarding our faire family coming together can be understood if you realize that our cast has always felt that way and is just now learning how to make that feeling obvious to the public.  That has more to do with the talents of the people involved and the dead wood that has been cut out.  (No offense to anyone who wasn't brought back last year because that was a result of a variety of reasons.)  I think John B. (King Henry VIII) had a great deal to do with that attitude that makes us feel and appear more like a family.  That feeling has carried over in our activities outside of faire as well.  We are a close group with a lot of respect and love and it shows.

One last thought; most of us like it being a small faire.  We are accurate to what we are portraying, a small English village of 1534.  Some faires portray a city but it's more like an overpopulated English village that has spread beyond a patron's ability to take it all in.  Our acts are top notch and the whole faire is not too much to take in in a weekend.  Personally, I can enjoy a large faire but I want to live my fantasies in a more believable shire.  To me, paved roads and large stone buildings detract from the picture.  I guess it's a matter of personal taste as to what you relate to.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"