News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'09

Started by jayadancer, November 23, 2008, 08:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarlett

I guess no one read the Pittsburgh Business Times article.  Or my earlier post.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2008/08/18/story12.html

Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

kcdcchef

Quote from: Scarlett on January 07, 2009, 10:06:28 AM
I guess no one read the Pittsburgh Business Times article.  Or my earlier post.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2008/08/18/story12.html

i did, it is a good read.

mr. paradise and rky mtn festivals have done more, in my mind, for the pittsburgh renaissance faire than anyone since its inception. they actually made it into more of a real faire versus something that resembled a county faire in a giant eagle parking lot. seriously, they finally got some nice period looking permanent structures. the entrance alone was a big addition.

i go to the pennsylvania renaissance faire every october, and the kansas city renaissance festival every october as well. i would never spend more than 3 - 4 hours at the pittsburgh one based on the feeling that it was such a small faire, and people to their credit tried hard, but it just wasnt coming together.

i have no clue what the feeling is amongst those of you who work there about the direction it is now going, but from this patron's point of view, it seems to be turning into a real festival finally.

Terry Griffith

Good observations, kcdcchef.  Let me tweak them a bit with the benefit of some inside experience:

When reading something said by a promoter, especially in a public forum, you have to keep in mind that not all the scenarios presented are fully developed yet.  Some happen and some don't.  This was also the source of the ad that said we would have an exotic petting zoo with zebras.  An expansion of the site was being talked about and may yet happen but maybe not this year.  I would assume the same is true for the lengthening of the run but I didn't hear any talk of that last year.  More area and a longer run aren't necessarily going to increase the overall proceeds so it will be done very cautiously.

The other observation regarding our faire family coming together can be understood if you realize that our cast has always felt that way and is just now learning how to make that feeling obvious to the public.  That has more to do with the talents of the people involved and the dead wood that has been cut out.  (No offense to anyone who wasn't brought back last year because that was a result of a variety of reasons.)  I think John B. (King Henry VIII) had a great deal to do with that attitude that makes us feel and appear more like a family.  That feeling has carried over in our activities outside of faire as well.  We are a close group with a lot of respect and love and it shows.

One last thought; most of us like it being a small faire.  We are accurate to what we are portraying, a small English village of 1534.  Some faires portray a city but it's more like an overpopulated English village that has spread beyond a patron's ability to take it all in.  Our acts are top notch and the whole faire is not too much to take in in a weekend.  Personally, I can enjoy a large faire but I want to live my fantasies in a more believable shire.  To me, paved roads and large stone buildings detract from the picture.  I guess it's a matter of personal taste as to what you relate to.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"