News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Suggestions for improving this costume

Started by damsel58, May 13, 2008, 12:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damsel58

Hi all. I've been a lurker for a few weeks, but just got around to taking pictures of my costume. It was kind of an impulse buy, and I don't think the lady I bought it from was terribly into h/a, but this is what I have to start from. I'm not staff or a total stickler for h/a, but I would like to sort of head more h/a as I add stuff, if possible.

Now, I've been researching for a couple weeks, and this is where I am at:

Station: I think this leans more toward early Ren, peasant. Maaaaybe one stradling the line between peasant and lower middle class? I think the little "wings" on the back and the embellishment on the hem of the chemise leans that way?

Skirt: I know it's way too shiny. I was thinking of trying my hand at sewing a simple, brownish overskirt? The shiny skirt is kind of a "barrel" shape. The waist and hem are the same circumfrence, so the skirt bunches a lot around my waist when I pull the drawstring. Would a bum roll help that? If so, wouldn't that also be a little bump in station? What kind of pattern for the overskirt should I look for?

Chemise: Are the short sleeves an absolute a look-killer? Should I try and find a long sleeved one? I have two (one from an earlier costume) and they're both short sleeved. Oi.

Sleeves: I know I should have sleeves that tie to the bodice. I do plan on trying to track down my costumer (I was an idiot and didn't take a card. Like I said, impulse buy.) at the upcoming local faire and see if she can make me sleeves.

Shoes: I plan on getting some mary-jane style flats.

Head: Snood and straw hat. I'm not seeing a muffin cap with this outfit, but if someone disagrees, I'll consider it!

Is there anything else? Undergarments? Accessories? I don't plan on getting everything at once, but what should I start with? I appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thanks!

gypsylakat

I've never really seen a bodice like that so I don't know quite what to say... I love the fabric choice though it looks really really good with your skin coloring 

Station: I think this leans more toward early Ren, peasant. Maaaaybe one stradling the line between peasant and lower middle class? I think the little "wings" on the back and the embellishment on the hem of the chemise leans that way?
well, I'd say that's probably about right.

Skirt: I know it's way too shiny. I was thinking of trying my hand at sewing a simple, brownish overskirt? The shiny skirt is kind of a "barrel" shape. The waist and hem are the same circumfrence, so the skirt bunches a lot around my waist when I pull the drawstring. Would a bum roll help that? If so, wouldn't that also be a little bump in station? What kind of pattern for the overskirt should I look for?I see what you mean with the drawstring problem, I don't necessarily think a bum roll would help, but you were thinking about making a new one which would look cool, especially with the colors... since you're having the buncing problem you might try a gored skirt (totally not as hard as it sounds, you just cut peices that are smaller at the top than at the bottom, there are better directions that I'm sure someone will come up with)

Chemise: Are the short sleeves an absolute a look-killer? Should I try and find a long sleeved one? I have two (one from an earlier costume) and they're both short sleeved. Oi.
THe sleeves aren't TOTALLY a look killer imho but I think a long sleeved one would look better..

Sleeves: I know I should have sleeves that tie to the bodice. I do plan on trying to track down my costumer (I was an idiot and didn't take a card. Like I said, impulse buy.) at the upcoming local faire and see if she can make me sleeves.
If you get a long sleeved chemise you totally don't need sleeves that tie into the bodice, you could totally just do bracers or just leave the sleeves alone totally...

Shoes: I plan on getting some mary-jane style flats.

Head: Snood and straw hat. I'm not seeing a muffin cap with this outfit, but if someone disagrees, I'll consider it!
I think that will look wonderful, I wasn't seeing muffin cap either... lol

Is there anything else? Undergarments? Accessories? I don't plan on getting everything at once, but what should I start with? I appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thanks

{moderator}Lets try to use font colors that are easy to read please. I changed all "pink" to "blue" {/moderator}
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

gem

Hail and well met, Damsel!  Be thou welcome to this forum!

I think you should enjoy the ensemble for what it is--a fun Fair wench look--and not worry about trying to make *this piece* more H/A, because I'm thinking that's going to be nearly impossible, as long as you're working with the current pieces.  What it is now is wonderful, cute, flattering, fun, and TOTALLY APPROPRIATE FAIR-WEAR.

Lots of us wear FairWear.  It's delicious and fun and has glorious potential.  For instance, I love wearing this ensemble, and there's nothing historically accurate about it at all!  So I say, wear that adorable outfit you bought WITH PRIDE!

Now, why do I think you're going to struggle with making *that* ensemble more H/A?  A couple of things.  Primarily, the cut of the bodice--to my knowledge, an underbust bodice like that was never H/A for any outerwear in any period, and to me that's the thing that screams "FairWear!!"  Also, that saucey racerback is really interesting, and nothing like anything I've seen in period clothing.  Since the bodice is really the centerpiece of the ensemble, it's going to set the tone for the rest of the outfit.

I understand your concerns about the skirt, and if you're going to make another one, I'd recommend a pattern that has *slightly* gored (triangular) panels, which will cut the volume around the hips while maintaining a nice fullness through the body of the skirt and hem.  Alternately, if you're very brave, you could unpick the waistband of that skirt and pleat it, which will smooth it out and make it more comfortable to wear (no bunching).

I don't think the short sleeves are a look killer--and you'll be glad of them in the heat.  And short sleeves actually are period, for some eras/regions.  We see a lot of working class Italian women in short sleeved camicas (chemises), for instance.

Now, if you're interested in what you can do to add some flair and more fun to the current FairWear/wench look, I'd start with a nice long belt, a pouch of some kind, and DEFINITELY a rockin' hat or headpiece of some kind.  It's the little accessories that really add the finishing touch to an outfit and make it yours.

Have fun!

daylight

Wellmet my friend    I think if you pulled the sleves down on your shoulders and allowed them to rest just below your shoulder that would give you the look. Try maybe adding some differnt strings to the bodice for color. If you want to be a wench you could pull up the skirt on each side to show your bloomers, if a lady allow the skirt to hang down and flow. I think you look great in the color and I agree with her when she says this is fair wear and do enjoy it, after all it is a fair and fun. Play with your hair to see the different looks, try differnt shirts with it. There are alot of booth vendors out hteir that would proubly help you.  Let your personality show. If you feel good in what you wear others will notice that you are having a good time that`s what it all about.

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

I agree with daylight, pull them sleeves down your shoulders and hike that skirt up, you look so cute in the outfit and oh yea, have a great time. ;) Maybe pull your hair up and add a hat. I just love hats! ;D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

LadyOren

I love your bodice!!!   Definately go off shoulder with the chemise, I agree with the gals the outfit is great and the color works perfectly on you, just accessorize and be comfy.   If you don't like hats, how about a scarf or some beading in your hair.  Just too much fun!
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

FaireMare

It really does remind me of esmerelda in the "hunch back".

Everyone has put up sound advice.

LEt me ask some questions that have not been addressed.

1.  Are you a Playtron or Cast?
2.  Do you WANT to be HA or need to bee HA?

sealion

I believe those questions were answered in the first post.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

FaireMare

Reading at 2 am is rarely productive... but its the only time I have.  Apparently I missed it.

However.......

I will stress again like I have had to so manytimes before on the other board....

ASK FIRST then HELP OUT.

Always ask if they are cast/vendor/playtron Before tossing out info.  It can be over whelming and in some cases condisending.

It is always better to have a full picture of the assistance wanted if you ask the simple questions first.

damsel58

Thanks everyone! I think I'll take the advice about not stressing too much over HA with this, and just add some fun accessories that I can maybe recycle for future costumes.

LadyOren

Now that you have teased us with the outfit, you just have to post the pics of it with all your accessories. ;D
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

Taffy Saltwater

What they said about pleating the skirt body to a waistband.  Then I would add a split skirt in a simple pattern & trim the split to match the dark trim of your bodice where it's laced, w/your current skirt as an underskirt.  Since that moves it up a little class wise I would then add a high hat & a caul.
Sveethot!

Dev

As far as I know, bodices look most period if they end at the natural waist.  It would probably help with the shape of your skirt too and the transition point between white chemise and brown skirt.  I'm also not too sure about how period the racer-back style of the bodice is.

The skirt would be more period if made from natural fibres.  I'm not really an expert on exact cuts of period clothes, but to my knowledge, period skirts were made more like a circle skirts.  An easy fix for your skirt would be to add wedge-shaped panels every 8 inches or so.

Otherwise, you're doing pretty good.  :)