News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

So...would this be period?

Started by guinea, May 13, 2008, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guinea

Could anyone perhaps tell me if this fabric would be appropriate for a reasonably HA forepart for a Tudor-style, Queen Anne inspired gown? It is embroidered 100% silk dupioni, according to the website. Flowers are also in a purple-based variety on the fabric. I'm just concerned about whether the embroidered pattern would be appropriate for the period. This is my first try at noble garb, so I'm out of my class a bit and still a little fuzzy on my research.  ???  I'm reaching out to those more experienced with Tudor garb than I. Thanks!!

Guinea

DonaCatalina

Quote from: guinea on May 13, 2008, 01:04:15 PM
Could anyone perhaps tell me if this fabric would be appropriate for a reasonably HA forepart for a Tudor-style, Queen Anne inspired gown? It is embroidered 100% silk dupioni, according to the website. Flowers are also in a purple-based variety on the fabric. I'm just concerned about whether the embroidered pattern would be appropriate for the period. This is my first try at noble garb, so I'm out of my class a bit and still a little fuzzy on my research.  ???  I'm reaching out to those more experienced with Tudor garb than I. Thanks!!

Guinea

I am assuming by Tudor, you mean during the reign of Henry VII or Henry VIII.
If that is in fact the case, this pattern would not be considered historically accurate.
The following is a detail of a sleeve worn by Lady Jane Grey. It should give you more of an idea what to look for in pattern styles.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

guinea

Thank you so much, that's a wonderful help. I was lost in the embroidered fabric sea  :D

gem

Well, "reasonably H/A" is in the eye of the costumer, and in this case, that's you.  So what's reasonable or not is really up to you.

I would recommend looking at lots and lots of Tudor portraits, because it will give you a great sense of how things look.  If you go to the index/sidebar of www.elizabethancostume.net, there's a link for "Paintings & Portraits," with a giant list of links to sites with tons and tons of period images.  A Google image search for "Tudor portraits" also brings up loads of hits.

I really would need to see more of the pattern--that one flower looks a little tropical, to me... and it's hard to judge from such a teeny swatch.  Also, from what I'm seeing of period embroidery, while flowers were certainly popular, they always seem to be done on a white background.

Good luck!

operafantomet

In general, for period Renaissance costumes, go for the symmetrical fabrics. There are very few (if any?) examples of non-symmetrical fabrics - possibly with the exception of those who have embroideried pattern and not vowen pattern.

If you want to have a look at Italian fabrics of the Renaissance, check out this site:
http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/workbox.htm

Italy was one of the main exporters of fine fabrics in the Renaissance, so glancing towards Italian fabrics will help you. Best of luck!  :)

Cilean

Which Queen Anne? Boylen or Cleves?

Ann Boylen

Ann of Cleaves

While the fabric looks awesome? I think it would make a very pretty gown, but I don't think it would be too H/A, and you need to interline the fabric to get the correct drape.  If you would like to read and learn more about Henrician fabrics and how they are put together?

Please check out these books:

Tudor Tailor  Site: www.tudortailor.com
Dress at the Court of King Henry VIII  from Amazon

Here is a very good friend's account of her making a henrician gown
http://www.kimiko1.com/dressdiaries/1530sTudor/index.html

I hope this helps!
Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Kate XXXXXX

When anyone mentions Queen Anne, I ALWAYS think of this one, our only 'real' Queen Anne!  http://www.parliament.uk/actofunion/lib/visuals/images/full/4_8_QueenAnne1_full.jpg

The others were only consorts to a Welsh usurper, after all...   :P

For more about what fabrics are historically accurate and what to use in place of things no longer available (or too expensive to consider without a feature film budget!), look here under the Fabrics and Colors heading: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/

guinea

Sorry, should have mention I meant Queen Anne Boleyn. I had been pouring over portraits and saw some floral-looking embroidery patterns, and had wandered through elizabethancostuming.net for addition help, but still wasn't quite sure what I needed to be looking for. I appreciate all the help from everyone. I figured there would be people here to guide me in the right direction. I decided to do the forepart in black fabric (silk or satin maybe?) then take gold cord and crosshatch it, more or less, over the fabric then do pearls at the intersections on the cords. Should be interesting and time consuming.  I found some excellent red velvet to use for the overskirt, bodice and sleeves. Should be fun!

gem

I have a friend on cast at Scarborough, who did that gold crosshatch on her court gown.  She talks about it here.

Good luck!  And be sure to post updates while you're working on it (we love pictures)!

FaireMare

Quote from: gem on May 14, 2008, 09:14:58 AM
I have a friend on cast at Scarborough, who did that gold crosshatch on her court gown.  She talks about it here.

Good luck!  And be sure to post updates while you're working on it (we love pictures)!

In a Nice Dress Diary....  ;)