News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Crafting at Faire

Started by jcbanner, November 27, 2008, 01:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbanner

I'm always looking for ideas for crafts that can be done at faire.  I do my our wood working demos, but I also try and setup and encourage others to do demos as well.  the Openhouse and cast signups for the STL renfaire is just over a month away, and I'm looking for possible ideas. 

When visiting faires, what trades have you seen demonstrated?  What have you enjoyed?  What have you hoped to see and haven't?

I also want to try putting together a booklet with ideas about how to give an effective demonstration.  Have you tried doing your own demos as either cast or a merchant?  What worked and what didn't?

thanks in advance for any replies.

Lady L

I like the paper making and paper marbling demos, which are done at the mill.
My son really enjoyed pottery throwing and glass blowing demos. I think blacksmithing is something most people are not that familiar with anymore, so it's quite educational. The way anything was made before the invention of electricity or gas powered motors adds to the historical aspect of faires. Maybe sheep shearing, weaving/carding wool, hand sewing, cobblers making shoes, etc.
So, that would be paper, pottery, glass, metal, fiber, leather. :)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Lady Renee Buchanan

We have demonstrated brass rubbing at several faires.  We have always gotten a good crowd, never made any money doing it, but that's not the reason we do it.  We always give a history of the rubbings, how they were made, how they are tombstone covers, and the method to make a rubbing.

At some faires, where we've had the space, we've charged people to make their own rubbings, but it really takes a good 1 to 2 hours to make a decent rubbing, and that's too much time for people at a faire for 1 day.  But the demonstrations were always well-received.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Magister

Spinster and I have both demoed at faires.  Me as a blacksmith, and her spinning, carding, weaving, etc.  We had a booth at BARF (Tampa, Florida) where we let people come and try their hand at spinning on a wheel and with drop spindles for free.  We also set up a couple of triangle looms for people to play with.  She did the demo on the regular loom.

Obviously with the smithing there is no way for me to let people try their hand (liability), but the reaction of the kids, and sometimes even the adults when you make an iron rose, or dragons head is always fun.  I do miss that part of it.. sigh.

Anyways... I personally think ANY demos at a faire are good.... there is too much imported garbage at most faires now.  Anytime someone with some skill at a craft takes the time to share that knowledge with others for profit or not they should be commended.

- Mag
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

UrsulaChandler

I demonstrate candlemaking for the Renaissance Living History Center at LRF. I show beeswax and tallow. Its not hands on--melted beeswax is too hot for patrons to touch, much hotter than parafin.  I also render the tallow before season because of the smell.

The patrons get to see molding and dipping candles and get instructions to do it for themselves at home. I find that letting people smell and feel the candles is enough to make the experience real.

RLHC has also demonstrated cooking, spinning, weaving, lacemaking, dying, laundry, wood cutting, butter churning and wood coal making. We're all local volunteers and put a lot of love into our "living village."
Ursula Chandler
Louisiana Renaissance Festival
Cast, RLHC

jcbanner

Quote from: Lady L on November 27, 2008, 01:39:48 AM
I like the paper making and paper marbling demos, which are done at the mill.
My son really enjoyed pottery throwing and glass blowing demos. I think blacksmithing is something most people are not that familiar with anymore, so it's quite educational. The way anything was made before the invention of electricity or gas powered motors adds to the historical aspect of faires. Maybe sheep shearing, weaving/carding wool, hand sewing, cobblers making shoes, etc.
So, that would be paper, pottery, glass, metal, fiber, leather. :)

glad to hear that there is interest in paper making!  We have on cast someone that has been considering paper making and book binding.  he already knows how, just hasn't brought it to faire with him yet.

blacksmithing is covered, one of the merchants at faire: Thorvic Crafts.

we've done some with wool, dyeing, felting, and spinning via drop spindle (I never finished the spinning wheel.  still would like a weaver though.

jcbanner

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on November 27, 2008, 08:10:53 AM
We have demonstrated brass rubbing at several faires.  We have always gotten a good crowd, never made any money doing it, but that's not the reason we do it.  We always give a history of the rubbings, how they were made, how they are tombstone covers, and the method to make a rubbing.

there are some brass rubbing at my parents house that they made several years before I was born. I've always thought they were neat, but I didn't know there was much history involved aside from the obvious tomb cover used.

What sort of history of rubbing is there? i'm guessing that it started with more purpose then just being a hobby?

jcbanner

Quote from: Magister on November 27, 2008, 06:55:57 PM
Spinster and I have both demoed at faires.  Me as a blacksmith, and her spinning, carding, weaving, etc.  We had a booth at BARF (Tampa, Florida) where we let people come and try their hand at spinning on a wheel and with drop spindles for free.  We also set up a couple of triangle looms for people to play with.  She did the demo on the regular loom.

Obviously with the smithing there is no way for me to let people try their hand (liability), but the reaction of the kids, and sometimes even the adults when you make an iron rose, or dragons head is always fun.  I do miss that part of it.. sigh.

Anyways... I personally think ANY demos at a faire are good.... there is too much imported garbage at most faires now.  Anytime someone with some skill at a craft takes the time to share that knowledge with others for profit or not they should be commended.

- Mag

I agree completely with you about demos at faire, thats why I've spent the past few seasons encouraging more demos.  Some where already there, others are new. Hopefully, all are more prominent then they were in the past.  as always though, I'll do what I can to see even more.

last year, we had someone doing much the same with drop spindles, she had a small number of then, and as she was doing demos, she would handone to anyone that looked interested adn teach thne how to use it.  as I told Lady L, I would love to see a weaver at faire, but its not something I know all too much about.
I've met a few people that I believe know card weaving, but they all left cast before we did many demos. I'm hoping I might be able to draw them back.

like you said about blacksmithing, it has a high level of liability involved, so that I leave to the merchant blacksmith at faire.

jcbanner

Quote from: UrsulaChandler on December 01, 2008, 04:10:52 PM
I demonstrate candlemaking for the Renaissance Living History Center at LRF. I show beeswax and tallow. Its not hands on--melted beeswax is too hot for patrons to touch, much hotter than parafin.  I also render the tallow before season because of the smell.

The patrons get to see molding and dipping candles and get instructions to do it for themselves at home. I find that letting people smell and feel the candles is enough to make the experience real.

RLHC has also demonstrated cooking, spinning, weaving, lacemaking, dying, laundry, wood cutting, butter churning and wood coal making. We're all local volunteers and put a lot of love into our "living village."

I thought beeswax has a lower melting temperature then paraffin?

last year we had a candlemaker, but I don't think she'll be back this year, at least not doing demos. anything you can tell me about candlemaking that I might be able to use as a selling point to sign someone else up who would be willing to learn?

When rendering the tallow, is it the same solids as if making soap thats collected, or are the solids the waiste from candle making?   And you said it smells while being rendered, how about while being remelted to make the candles?  And it a really bad smell that can be uncomfortable to work with, or just bad enough that it would be unpleasant at a public event?

the coal maker, would that be Ronda?  If so, then I think I've heard of the RLHC, I've talked with her a number of times here in St Louis not so much for a model of how to organize demos here, but for some ideas of ways to run some of them.

Magister

JC:

If you would like to get some form of weaving going that would even allow for patron participation you may want to think about making a few Triangle Looms, and simple tripod stands to hold them.  You can make one for under twenty bucks using common stuff from Home Depot.

They are easy to make (with minor woodworking know-how), and very easy to use.  They make beautiful shawls / scarfs / blankets, and can be used with cheap (Wal-mart, whatever) yarn if you don't want to waste the good stuff.  You set the distance of the pins (otherwise known as penny nails :P) to work with thick or thin yarn. 

I have some pictures of the ones I used to make and sell if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.  As for how to use them, if you're interested there are plenty of websites that discuss the technique, or Spinster or I would be happy to write something up for you. 

... one more thought.  You could "downsize" the triangle looms from the normal 4 feet across cross bar to a foot or two.  Then you can show people / kids how to do it, and watch as they make a small swatch to take with them.  Have half a dozen of the small looms around or something.  Hmmm...

Here are a couple of pictures.. one of the full size loom and stand, one of Spinster making a shawl on one, and one of the not quite finished shawl (needs cleaning up, and fringe added).

Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

UrsulaChandler

Quote from: jcbanner on December 03, 2008, 10:16:46 AM
Quote from: UrsulaChandler on December 01, 2008, 04:10:52 PM

I thought beeswax has a lower melting temperature then paraffin?

last year we had a candlemaker, but I don't think she'll be back this year, at least not doing demos. anything you can tell me about candlemaking that I might be able to use as a selling point to sign someone else up who would be willing to learn?

When rendering the tallow, is it the same solids as if making soap thats collected, or are the solids the waiste from candle making?   And you said it smells while being rendered, how about while being remelted to make the candles?  And it a really bad smell that can be uncomfortable to work with, or just bad enough that it would be unpleasant at a public event?

the coal maker, would that be Ronda?  If so, then I think I've heard of the RLHC, I've talked with her a number of times here in St Louis not so much for a model of how to organize demos here, but for some ideas of ways to run some of them.

Its the other way around. Beeswax has a higher melting temperature. Paraffin is so low that its used in salons for beauty treatments by dipping hands completely into a pot of melted wax. I know some demonstrators who let the patrons dip beeswax candles. We did it for a little while but I was never comfortable with the large mobs of small children getting close to the fire and the hot iron pot.  Now I just let them feel the warm candle after its dipped. Its a neater trick than it sounds. I play up how hot the wax is and hold out the candle as soon as it stops dripping. Beeswax is so dense that as soon as its solid its already thrown off enough heat to be safe to touch.

To attract a candle maker tell them its easy. Getting smooth straight tapers takes practice, but anyone can learn to make a candle in minutes.

I don't know anything about soap making. This is the first year I did tallow and I got all my initial research from Stefan's Florilegium.  http://www.florilegium.org/   I actually threw out the solids (proteins) and kept the liquid. The smell was strongest during rendering and not very strong at all when the tallow was melted to make the candles. I wouldn't do the rendering while open to the public. You just don't know how sensitive people will be.

Yes, that's our Rhonda.
Ursula Chandler
Louisiana Renaissance Festival
Cast, RLHC

Malkavian

at CRF there's a beer brewing demo some years done by a shop owner and some of the local homebrewers, I believe it always gets a good crowd although I can't ever manage to be there for it.  The only trouble with that is that it's difficult to do fully "period" (e.g., you'd need a roaring fire, lots of fuel and a cast iron kettle rather than a compact propane burner and a lightweight steel keg)

Personally I love watching blacksmithing and glassblowing (although I've seen Jerry Leaders demo glassblowing at CRF so many times that I can recite some of the dialogue along with him it's still interesting  :P)

Rani Zemirah

This season at our home Faire some friends and I have arranged to set up a Gypsy camp with a few period demos, including how to make a couple of toys for the kids. We'll be making handkerchief dolls, which are so easy it's almost funny, but even the little bitty kids can do it, and what parent will say no to something like that?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

jcbanner

Open house is at the end ot this week, I guess I better finnish up my research and get busy making handouts about crafting at faire :P

Thanks for the imput everyone, you all gave me some really good Ideas!

Tammy

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 21, 2008, 11:52:48 AM
This season at our home Faire some friends and I have arranged to set up a Gypsy camp with a few period demos, including how to make a couple of toys for the kids. We'll be making handkerchief dolls, which are so easy it's almost funny, but even the little bitty kids can do it, and what parent will say no to something like that?

That sounds like something I'd LOVE to see!!! I've got a bit of gypsy in me blood...
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Tammy on January 07, 2009, 01:40:57 AM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 21, 2008, 11:52:48 AM

That sounds like something I'd LOVE to see!!! I've got a bit of gypsy in me blood...

The theme will be "A Day in the Life of the Gypsies", and there will be several different demos, including hand spinning with spindle, weaving on a small lap loom, quilt piecing, charms and herbals, handkerchief dolls, clothes pin toys, Tarot readings, simple kitchen spells and storytelling. It will be a come and go, with players at different stations in camp working on the demos throughout the day, available to answer questions or just interact, with two storytelling sessions scheduled during the day. It should be fun, and interesting!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Woodland Artisan

In my first full year as a renfaire merchant/demonstrator, the response from the faire management has been very positive; from patrons/playtrons it has been extremely positive and even a little surprised reaction; from other craftspeople it was a bit mixed and sometimes meloncholy.

As you know from my postings here (or at least in the previous iteration of this forum) and our talk at STL faire last season, jcbanner, I'm a huge advocate of demonstrations at faire (and other events as well but I'll stay on topic here) for many people involved (merchant, cast, etc.).  The more, the better ... with caveats.

Again, from my talks with other crafts people from the many faires that I did this past year and from my own experiences and talks with patrons, people want MORE traditional and period (or at least period-ish) arts, crafts and living history types of areas.  Presented well and with people that actually know what they are doing, it is something that patrons really do appreciate and talk about long after the event itself.

I have a ton of stories just from this past year alone concerning this.  From other crafts people to patrons (old and young) to faire owners/management, there is a lot that we talked about and so much that I took away from those talks about demonstrations at faire.  There are a lot of aspects to this and gets pretty involved.

I would say that the more crafting or demonstrations and living history aspects that a faire can bring into the mix, the better it is for the patrons experience at the faire.  However, just simply having someone ... anyone ... demonstrating some craft or aspect of period life isn't enough.  They don't have to have an expert in that field but having someone that knows what they are doing and (equally important) can present that to the public correctly and (dare I say?) entertainingly means more than simply throwing somebody in there just to fill a space.  Don't, for example, feel that having a person showing X craft should be in the faire and throwing somebody with no or little experience in that craft with a book on it to review before "filling a spot".  It does a disservice to the faire; to the patrons and to the craft itself (aka  "respect the craft/art/skill" a term often discussed among talks with other crafts-people).  And patrons WILL notice it.  And they WILL feel slighted.

Good luck, jcbanner, and let the forum know what you've found out and decided.

jcbanner

That's a good point about not "just filling a spot."  With our demonstrations, we do try and cast people that have at least some experience.  Often times though, its like myself where I know woodworking with modern tools, but my experience with traditional tools is limited.  ( I really had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started setting up my demonstrations for faire 3 years ago.)

I still might not make anything pretty, but between the modern woodworking I know, the natural resource classes about wood properties, three years of playing with the tools trying to figure them out, and bugging people like yourself half to death as you give your own demo's, I manage to do well enough to peak the interest of a few people who might want to learn more them selves.

I can say what ever I like about wanting demos for the atmospheric affect of them at the faire, its true enough, but my own goals are to peak the interest in others to want to learn more, even if only a passive hobby.   

The basic process for selecting demonstrators is first see if their interested, then find out what interests they have, what do they know, and are they willing to learn more?  Most of the people at least have some basic skill levels that we can build off of.  ex: "You know how to use a triangle loom, would you be interested in learning how to use a floor loom?  If we could provide the loom, would you have the time to take it home and practice using it?"  (have someone interested, I have a pattern this time, now I just need approval for the material cost)

We'll be trying all scale of demonstrations this year, large stationary demos, (we have a professional brewer, we're looking into how feasable a demonstration would be) to small, carry it around in a basket tasks, like walking around with a basket of wool and working with a drop spindle

jcbanner

Thank you again everyone for your input. it was invaluable to me as I was making up lists and possible demonstrations ideas.

following the open house cast sign ups, we have four returning crafters:

a wool Felter and  cloth dyer, Mythrin from here on the forums,

a Basket weaver,

a Fletcher, no longer a new cast member and wanting to get more in depth this year,

myself, a woodworker,

we have three returning cast members starting demonstrations

a weaver

a Scottish scout, ok, not a tradesman, but demonstrating how Gilly suits were made.

A wood carver, not really new to demonstrating, but he's changing from being a button maker to a ship name plate carver, and this is the first year he's on the artisan's roster

And two who are new to our faire:

a young blacksmith who will be an armorer

and a brewer, or if that doesn't work out, he also knows how to make cheese.

there are also a few that have shown some interest, but are not yet on the roster.  All in all, its a good start this year and I'm looking forward to it.

If any of you visit our faire, please come take a look and see how we're doing!

Woodland Artisan

Here's something else to think about, jcbanner (and, of course, others wishing to develop their faires' artisan/living history aspect) ...

Every single faire spends an incredible amount of resources and time developing their cast and performers (persona's, clothing, acting, scenarios, dancing, singing and so on).  They hold meetings, try-outs, classes and have available development and support materials.  These things help to elevate the faire experience and develop the skills and performance of the people involved.

Why is not the same thing not done with the artisans or demonstrators?    Not all faires (nor would I say even "many") even have the level of organization for this type of thing that the STL Faire does.  Why not?   Cast, actors, musicians, artisans and demonstrators ... all performers at faire.  All supplying a piece of the entertainment, educational, and atmosphere experience of the faire. Each requiring some differences in pre-faire and during-faire support and resources.

Actively develop the artisans and demonstrators aspect and it'll greatly enhance your faire, everyone.

jcbanner

Not all faires (nor would I say even "many") even have the level of organization for this type of thing that the STL Faire does.

To give others credit where credit is due, the STL faire is still in the adolescence stages of hosting demonstrations. a few years ago, there were a few of us trying to do demos with no faire support, and we did well enough, but then two years ago, there started to be more of a push for cast members to do demonstrations but there was no support structure to organize things. Then last year with help from staff members (i was still a volunteer with no leadership title until this) and other demonstrators, we formed a new performance guild specifically for demonstrating.  this year, there is no guild, but the structure has been expanded to provide more support.  we're still playing around with things to see whats a good fit for us.

I've seen or heard of several other faires though that have well established demonstration groups.  One model that I've seen commonly is for the demonstrators to be a separate group from the faire itself and manage themselves independently. 

Every single faire spends an incredible amount of resources and time developing their cast and performers (persona's, clothing, acting, scenarios, dancing, singing and so on).  They hold meetings, try-outs, classes and have available development and support materials.  These things help to elevate the faire experience and develop the skills and performance of the people involved. 

Why is not the same thing not done with the artisans or demonstrators?
QuoteCast, actors, musicians, artisans and demonstrators ... all performers at faire.  All supplying a piece of the entertainment, educational, and atmosphere experience of the faire. Each requiring some differences in pre-faire and during-faire support and resources.

Those are very close to some of the arguments I used to encourage development of the demonstrations.

I gotta ask, will you be retuning to STL again this year?

Woodland Artisan

And that's my point ... even STL faires' still early effort in developing these things is more than most faires.  There are some faires out there that merely pay lip service to it and there are those faires that are having real problems keeping their artisans and demonstrators (and even their independent groups supplying these things for the faire).

There are, of course, other faires that have no interest in that at all because that's not what they're about.  I see no problem with that, myself.  But, for those that do want a strong and serious artisan, demonstrator/living history community, really need to do more to develop it.  Some actually are actively involved in searching and recruiting ... and you know who you are.  ;D  (I'll be getting back in touch in a month or two as planned) ... but that's the rare exception right now.  Just as in your cast performances, or your performers shows ... you get what you work for in your artisans.

The artisans, demonstrators, living-history enthusiasts, and those at least interested enough to learn about it for some sort of apprenticeship program are out there ... faires just have to wake up and develop that.

Regarding returning to the STL faire in 2009 .... I'm not sure yet.  It depends on what we (myself and management) can get worked out.  Oh, by the way,  I've been meaning to get a picture to you of a hollow-form art piece I made out of one of those burls I got from you last year.  The piece is in a gallery in California right now and the picture I have of it is on a dead computer right now.  When I get it fixed, I'll dig up that picture and send it to you.  Have any more burls left?  :)

Keep up the good work...

jcbanner

I'd love to see the picture! And I'm willing to bet my dad would be excited to hear that artwork made from a burl we removed from the family ranch is on display in California!

I have several pieces remaining from last year.  Until I build a Lathe and learn how to properly use it, I can't do much with them.