News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Am I the only one

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, November 30, 2008, 07:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

who prefers that people post their pictures instead of the links to them?

I know that with the links, you can see more pictures, it takes less time to load the page, and all the other reasons for having the links.

Having said that, I still get a thrill opening a thread and seeing actual pictures of a faire instead of a link.

There were lots more pictures instead of links on the old forum.  Call me old fashioned, but I like looking at the actual pictures.  Anybody else feel that way?  Or am I the only one?
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Welsh Wench

I, too, prefer to see the pictures on the forum, Renee.  Pictures are more likely to contain forum members when posted on the R/F site.

I have gone through dozens of pages of pictures and it's like, 'saw it....saw it...saw it...oh, there's someone I know!...saw it, saw it, saw it.....'

And la creme de la creme gets posted on the forum.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Anna Iram

My preference is when a poster posts a few teaser shots, those that may be of the most interest to that particular forum area, and then posts all of their shots in a link.

I really enjoy seeing all the characters that make up a day of faire, not just those I know.

I will say I wish more posters would post under RF members shots who they are. I often feel I *should* know who they are but just don't.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Welsh Wench on November 30, 2008, 07:54:04 PM
I, too, prefer to see the pictures on the forum, Renee.  Pictures are more likely to contain forum members when posted on the R/F site.

I have gone through dozens of pages of pictures and it's like, 'saw it....saw it...saw it...oh, there's someone I know!...saw it, saw it, saw it.....'

And la creme de la creme gets posted on the forum.

The most magnificent poster that put the actual pictures up was Father Simon.  Looking at all the pictures of BARF, it really made me want to visit there.  And so we did!  That's one of the ways we decide to visit a faire -- by looking at the pictures.

I agree with you, Wenchie, I like to look at people  I know, that is, forum members (even if I've never met them, I know who they are!).  And not 30 pictures of the same group beside the tree before you get to the next set. 

It's so exciting to open a picture thread and look at all the pictures instead of more writing.  WW and Anna, I'm glad that I'm not the only one!

A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Athena

I prefer to see pictures posted myself, especially of late because my computer has problems with Photobucket.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Sicari

I take a ton of photos and I always have a problem picking one or two to post as a teaser. Especially from Bristol!    www.pbase.com/sicari

renfairephotog

I prefer to see a few pics post in a post with a link to more. If there are too many pic in a post it slows the page.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Anna Iram

Well not all of us are teaser magnets like yourself Sicari.  ;)

Beautiful shots. :)

BLAKDUKE

Well one reason is the difficulty.  and it works both ways.  To have photos in photobucket you have to have an account, I ain't doin that.  I got enough  cyber accounts as it is.  Posting in the thread, there just does not seem to be an easy way to do that.  Normally when on a page you click on file and there should be the word 'attach'  which then allows you to attach photos from your computer, but not here and there does not seem to be any blocks below this text box that allows you to include jpeg's.

so how is it done in 25 words or less.   any more than 25 words and I have to go back to programming school.

BLAKDUKE
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

sealion

I don't mind a link to a gallery when the are excellent photos like Sicari's. I don't like when it's a link to a gallery full of every single snapshot they took and unedited. :yawn:
I'm not the worlds greatest photographer so I shoot alot but only upload the very best shots.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Lady L

Blakduke,
How to put photos in a reply here...I use Photobucket, but there are other host services you could use. I upload my photo to my account, then put the image link in the reply box. Then, I preview it, to make sure it works and if it did, then I post it. The photo shows up in the post. I like to see the photo in the post, if it is about a project someone is working on, or a question about a pattern, so I don't have to go looking for the reference. If someone has a LOT of photos to share, then, it is better to just post the clickable link. There are better directions in the photo forum.
:)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

gypsylakat

If you already have a google account they have picasa... which is their version of photobucket... sort of... they have embed codes and you can get the link address from the pictures but you have to look for it...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

washmcrack

I see a lot of complaints about everyone posting pics of their friends and not every person at the faire and was just wondering if any of you had posted any pics of the faires you were talking about. I know CRF was one because I saw the jab at the M'Crack group about there being 30 pages under the same tree. If you are going to complain about people taking pics of their friends then you should go to faire with a camera and post the pics that you think everyone should see. And as for the 30 pages of pics under the same tree there were 54 pages so if you aren't happy too bad.
Lairde Wash M'crack
aka Justin Driscoll
Chiefton Clan O'Doinn

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: washmcrack on December 08, 2008, 03:01:28 PM
I see a lot of complaints about everyone posting pics of their friends and not every person at the faire and was just wondering if any of you had posted any pics of the faires you were talking about. I know CRF was one because I saw the jab at the M'Crack group about there being 30 pages under the same tree. If you are going to complain about people taking pics of their friends then you should go to faire with a camera and post the pics that you think everyone should see. And as for the 30 pages of pics under the same tree there were 54 pages so if you aren't happy too bad.

Oh my goodness, that was a comment I made, about the 30 pages of pictures under the same tree.  I never even saw those pictures that you wrote about.  I was just referring to the pictures that I have in MY photobucket.  It seems we take 5 or 6 pictures of every pose that we (and our friends) are in.  I only said that because I look at my account and think to myself how boring it would be for other people to see the same pictures that WE took again and again.  I certainly didn't mean it about anyone else, and as I said, I didn't see any pictures  from CRF because I don't usually go in threads from other faires.  I'm sorry you took offense where none was meant.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Mandrake Von Sets

Flickr users have it both ways.  In order for users to post an actual visible picture from their photostream, the picture has to also be a link back to their photostream.

Click on my picture below to see what I mean.

Wil

Cyron

i'm just lazy usually.. i get them off the camera.. scan thru them, delte the ones that were blurry and upload the rest to my site.. if there happened to be a really good one i would link it, but if not i just give the link..but more often then not i do add at least 1 and then the link... usually under sicari's post..lol.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

kcdcchef

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on November 30, 2008, 07:43:13 PM
who prefers that people post their pictures instead of the links to them?

I know that with the links, you can see more pictures, it takes less time to load the page, and all the other reasons for having the links.

Having said that, I still get a thrill opening a thread and seeing actual pictures of a faire instead of a link.

There were lots more pictures instead of links on the old forum.  Call me old fashioned, but I like looking at the actual pictures.  Anybody else feel that way?  Or am I the only one?

nope, i am with you lady renee. 100%. links suck. most of us in 2008 ( almost 2009 ) have computers fast enough to download them all, so i say, post em'!!! heck, i have gotten busted in other blogs for NOT using a link.

Jon Foster

I like to see the pictures on the page as well. They also serve as a way to decide if you want to look at a full gallery or album if there's a link too.

Jon.

Emerald Shaunassey

I actually like both ways ... seeing 'teaser photos' in this forum is nice.  But I also enjoy browsing through someone's gallery when they provide a link - especially if it's to a faire I've wanted to visit and haven't yet or a favorite of mine (Bristol comes to mind).

Either way, kudos to all the photographers out there and thank you for sharing your vision of your faire adventures.

Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Hi Everyone,

I'm bringing this post back to the top again, because now that faire season is in full swing again, especially in the southern climes, I'm starting to see a lot of links posted again for pictures taken at the faire.

However, maybe I'm the only one, but I have found repeatedly that I can't see the pictures on different sites, because when I click on the link, it says you have to sign in with a password or sign up to be a member.  I don't really want to do that just to look at someone's pictures.

So I am hoping that people will post their pictures again inside the threads, like everyone used to do on the old forum.

A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs