News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I may fall in love with Star Trek all over again...

Started by Noble Dreg, December 01, 2008, 01:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jack Wolfe

**sigh**  OK, time to get my geek on...

There is a time travel plot to the story, which makes me roll my eyes.  Trek has become way too dependent upon that shtick for my taste.  Unless they want to trade in the Enterprise for a slightly used TARDIS, of course.  :D

That being said, I doubt we'll see Finnegan, Gary Mitchell, Janice Lester, John Gill, Captain Garrovick, the U.S.S. Farragut, or any other pivotal character from the 'established history'.  But it still looks like a fun ride.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Capt. Bacardi

Quote from: Muffin on December 05, 2008, 09:53:05 AM
Quote from: Capt. Bacardi on December 05, 2008, 09:50:20 AM
How did I miss that Vet top.....I am usually pretty good at seeing those things.

From what I have heard he is not trying to trash the original, he make it so maybe more then us loyal Trekkie's go. Remember it is all about how much they can put into their pockets.

I was just wondering if they will mention or show Kirk's brother sense they are showing his early years?? Maybe even Finnegan from the academy days. I think that was his name. I might just be digging a little deeper then they where thinking thou..  :o

Baby............ You better tuck that in.....  :D *sigh*

Why am I the only one that has to tuck it in.....that is not fair...  :(  :'(
BLOODY HELL!!!!
..It is only a flesh wound..
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Aiacha

I do see a listing for George Samuel Kirk, Jr., so we may see his brother.  That may be the only established historical character we will see.  (though I will geek out a little if Finnegan is mentioned)

Muffin

Because you are the only one that lives with me!! LOL!!!  :-*

Go ahead Baby.. Get your geek on....  :D I'll just make fun of you later... hee hee!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Marietta Graziella

I say join in and get your geek off!  I'm sure he'll thank you for it later.  :o ;)

Quote from: Muffin on December 05, 2008, 10:13:16 AM
Because you are the only one that lives with me!! LOL!!!  :-*

Go ahead Baby.. Get your geek on....  :D I'll just make fun of you later... hee hee!!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Muffin

:D How about........ NO! hee hee!!

I love all you geeky kids!!  :-*
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on December 05, 2008, 11:41:55 PM
I say join in and get your geek off!  I'm sure he'll thank you for it later.  :o ;)

Only if you dress up like an Orion slave girl!  Complete with the animal noises, and the slinky...  ooh, BUTTERFLY!!

Um, was that out loud?  :-[ :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Rani Zemirah

I'll definitely be giving in to my inner geek with this one! She can probably even dig out a red shirt from the depths of the way-back machine!

She's a bit too modest for the Orion slave girl garb, though... LOL

(edit for typo, and lack of courage...  ::) )
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Bodharan

Well, how about one of those uniforms with the short skirts?  (Hooray, the miniskirts are back.  I know I am going to like this movie.)
Just looking for a good hat.

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Bodharan on December 07, 2008, 02:58:04 AM
Well, how about one of those uniforms with the short skirts?  (Hooray, they're back.  I know I am going to like this movie.)

If you have ever noticed (and you being a guy, I'm sure you have...) there is a certain type of leg that goes along with those micro-mini's that I just was not genetically gifted with... so, no, not even the short skirt, though I could possibly be talked into one of those one shoulder things that Yeoman Janice Rand wore on occasion...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

So... my first real crush was J.T. Kirk... I was about 6 1/2, and still reeling from watching the moon shot about a year or so before, and discovered Trek (and James) one day after church at my great grandmothers house. I remember it so well... I was flipping through the channels on her little, fuzzy 14 in. TV, when suddenly the bridge of the USSE came into focus! Then a door slid into the wall, and through it walked this commanding man dressed in the most skin tight clothes I'd ever seen a man wearing in my short, sheltered little life!!! Immediately I knew he was in charge, and so began my enduring passion for men in uniform who wield the authority to command an entire Starship!!!

But, that was not the only epiphany I had that day...

Shortly after I developed that instantaneous fixation, onto the bridge through a different door (the corridor door, not the ready room door) walked an exotically beautiful black woman, in that now famous micro-mini skirt, who proceeded to sit at a command officer position and address the captain with such calm competence that every eye on the bridge was glued to her during her report! At that moment I knew that I, as a female, could do or be anything I could dream...

Heady stuff for a 6 year old to take in, but it changed my entire life... I know that I would be a completely different person if it weren't for those very formative events so early in my life!

Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Demetrius

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 07, 2008, 10:57:03 AM

But, that was not the only epiphany I had that day...

Shortly after I developed that instantaneous fixation, onto the bridge through a different door (the corridor door, not the ready room door) walked an exotically beautiful black woman, in that now famous micro-mini skirt, who proceeded to sit at a command officer position and address the captain with such calm competence that every eye on the bridge was glued to her during her report! At that moment I knew that I, as a female, could do or be anything I could dream...

What a great moment to remember! Nichelle Nichols is awesome.
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Dayna

I'm going!

I had the same experience, a Woman, on the Bridge, and men were Listening to her, and she was Not Caucasian!!!

I'm so white I glow in the dark, yet I was always brought up that it didn't matter what colour or gender you were, we were all the same.  My dad said that it was a shame the only way it could be managed was to have it in Science Fiction (these were the days of Diane Carroll in Julia and she was a nurse, not a doctor) but that someday, people were going to be seen for their insides, not their outsides.  BTW, the original pilot had a female first officer, but Paramount wouldn't go along with that, so Majel was demoted to nurse.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Lord Figaro

Quote from: Muffin on December 06, 2008, 09:47:52 AM

Why are we geeky cuz we like Star Trek???I think knowing the words to this song makes one way more geeky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlTMXiqbDZU . But I do remember a few people used to ask if we had it at the Karaoke show.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Lord Figaro on December 10, 2008, 01:12:17 AM
Quote from: Muffin on December 06, 2008, 09:47:52 AM

Why are we geeky cuz we like Star Trek???I think knowing the words to this song makes one way more geeky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlTMXiqbDZU . But I do remember a few people used to ask if we had it at the Karaoke show.

I kinda prefer dork to geek. Dorks are actually the new "cool" right now, and they don't ever have anyone ask them to bite the head off a chicken!  (well, ok... maybe once in a while... at a party... ) ;D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede