News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need your suggestions - 1st Digital Camera purchase

Started by anne of oaktower, December 05, 2008, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anne of oaktower

I do believe Santa has settled on a Canon, but I'm not sure yet which model he'll choose.   Thank you all for the helpful info.  :)
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

gypsylakat

K- so my mom got me an Olympus Fe-340, she liked it because "it came in a pretty box (shaped like a shoebox type photobox), was a prettier shade of pink, and came with a case and a picture frame" I'm pretty sure it came from Ritz as it has their extended warranty form as well as a thing for free digital photography classes..

But- It has a dead pixel.
So I can either even exchange it, or I can pick out another camera of the same cost family (she said nikon had one, i believe she was referring to the 8megapixel coolpix)

Any opinions? This is not a camera that I was looking at so I don't know...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

DeadBishop

I'd exchange it for a Nikon or Canon in the same price range.  I've already seen a few of those cameras returned for various issues.

R/F.com member since 2003

gypsylakat

K- I thought that's what I was probably going to do... Any advice on Nikons in the price range?

NoBill Lurker

dpreview

This would be a very good time to go to this site as they have recently did a review on P&S cameras of all price ranges from the lowest priced to the top of the line!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

anne of oaktower

Santa brought me a Canon SX110, a spare 4GB card, Energizer rechargeable batteries with charger, and the promise of a good camera case when I pick out one I like.  ;D  It's a really nice camera and Santa didn't break the bank.  It has a manual setting, so I will be able to begin to learn a little about shutter speeds and apertures - good practice before I move up to the DSLRs.  ;)

Thank you all for your input and advice.  You were quite helpful, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

DeadBishop

Wow, Santa was good to you!  The Canon SX110 is a brand new model that just recently came out.  I've been looking at getting a smaller camera to compliment my SLR when I don't want to lug it around, and that's one of my top 3 picks.

gypsylakat

Well- the camera gods have apparently said that I should not get a new camera. Honestly.
I took the Olympus back today, the manager at Ritz was very accomodating, came home with a coolpixS52 the lack of an actual honest to goodness telescoping zoom worried me at first but it was explained to me that it used mirrors (like a magic trick, i thought)

SO I brought it home in Green, (apparently I'm carbon neutral for the next two months, if I wanted I could totally drive a Hummer, but considering the amount of carbon I use anyways, i've been told my footprint is really low) Plugged the Nikon battery charger in at 5pm EST and it's now 11pm and the darn battery still isn't charged, the manual says it could take up to 2 hours from the time you plug it in if it's discharged totally... It currently won't even turn the camera on, SO it's got until morning and I'm going back in there entirely displeased.

I can't imagine what I did to displease the Photographic Gods....

DeadBishop

Quote from: gypsylakat on January 09, 2009, 09:53:58 PM
Well- the camera gods have apparently said that I should not get a new camera. Honestly.
I took the Olympus back today, the manager at Ritz was very accomodating, came home with a coolpixS52 the lack of an actual honest to goodness telescoping zoom worried me at first but it was explained to me that it used mirrors (like a magic trick, i thought)

SO I brought it home in Green, (apparently I'm carbon neutral for the next two months, if I wanted I could totally drive a Hummer, but considering the amount of carbon I use anyways, i've been told my footprint is really low) Plugged the Nikon battery charger in at 5pm EST and it's now 11pm and the darn battery still isn't charged, the manual says it could take up to 2 hours from the time you plug it in if it's discharged totally... It currently won't even turn the camera on, SO it's got until morning and I'm going back in there entirely displeased.

I can't imagine what I did to displease the Photographic Gods....

Hmm, make sure they didn't give you a display camera.  Even without being charged initially, there should be enough power in the unopened battery to power your camera for a little bit.

gypsylakat

It wasn't the display camera he had up, it was one of the last ones in stock, (it's 3am and the charger is still blinking) Not flickering, blinking steadily, which means "i'm charging" according to the manual. Looks liek that nice man will be seeing me again... -_-

gypsylakat

Returned to Ritz today- The guy gave me a new battery since the one that was in the camera was a non-nikon battery and may not even have been the right one. DB you were right in thinking it was a floor model, once I actually got it turned on and all the memory was almost full of photos taken in the store (some lady's fingers in the shot and all) I'm going to try it anyways, if I have any problems their going to hear from me is all. I kind of have issues getting sold a model that has been taken out and used without being told so.

anne of oaktower

I wouldn't wait.  I'd take it back today.  I would ask to speak to the manager, then politely explain your disappointment in the quality of service/product you have received.  You took this thing home, waited much too long for it too charge up only to find out that it didn't even have the right battery, then after receiving the right battery you found out it was obviously a display model - and you had not been informed of that little detail.  At the very least, you should get not only a new camera (perhaps even a free upgrade), but also some sort of freebie (perhaps an extra memory card, or a camera case, batteries, etc.). 

Good Luck!

gypsylakat

well, i had been hoping the manager was going to be there yesterday but he wasn't it was just one of the employees... I think I might, I'm just uncomfortable with it not being new... I don't know why really..

edit- spoke with my mother, she thinks since I had to delete the pictures to make room for my sisters science fair project (don't have a memory card here, it's in my dorm with my old camera) they may not take it back for that reason... I'm going to try any ways

gypsylakat

Yeah I've stopped using it completely I'll be going over there tomorrow, I just don't think that's appropriate, they have a shelf model out already, why not use that one?

gypsylakat

Got in touch with the Manager today. He is out of the model I have and apparently didn't have anything comparable (?) to exchange for so he is either going to run to another store and get it and my mom will pick it up from his store, or since the store that DOES have it in stock is close to my school, I may go pick it up myself (so I'll have it before spring break) by having one of my friends drive over with me (no car on campus) currently he refunded it onto a gift card for the store. I'm still writing a letter to Nikon however, the manager claims he has no idea how all this happened, but it looks kind of bad because he's the one that directed me towards that model, and the one that sold it to me, after he checked the box.

I just want my darn camera.