News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need your suggestions - 1st Digital Camera purchase

Started by anne of oaktower, December 05, 2008, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadBishop

Glad to hear that you've had some resolve to this.  In general, Ritz stores always have a new camera as a demo on the shelf.  The manufacturers encourage this because it lets customers experience the camera first hand.  Unlike "big box" stores like Walmart or Target, we don't bolt a camera to a peg and let just anyone bang them around.  We supervise every camera to make sure the customer can't damage it while looking it over.  That being said, we only sell the "open box" cameras if it's the last one after disclosing it to the customer, and IF they find that acceptable.  It sounds like this was definitely not what happened in your case, which is not the norm.  If you need anything additional past what the store manager has done, the quickest way to get something resolved is to go through the district manager. 

R/F.com member since 2003

gypsylakat

DB, they had one out as a display camera, this one was pulled from the actual stock, like underneath the display, I used the display camera first to get a feel for it, then he gave me this one in the box. Their actual display camera is actually still on display.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

DeadBishop

Quote from: gypsylakat on January 17, 2009, 09:06:16 PM
DB, they had one out as a display camera, this one was pulled from the actual stock, like underneath the display, I used the display camera first to get a feel for it, then he gave me this one in the box. Their actual display camera is actually still on display.

Ouch, that's not good if a camera down below was worse off than the display.  Wondering if someone could have pulled a switchout without the manager knowing. 

gypsylakat

gypsylakat

Grr, so it's been.... 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything from the manager, I called the store today the guys out on medical leave  and has been for a few weeks so I'm STILL without camera. Anyone have the address for Nikon's corporate line, I do still want to write them but have as of yet been unable to find it...

anne of oaktower

I'd say forget about writing and just pick up the phone!  (You should be able to find a number online.)  Give them a call, explain what happened, tell them how disappointed you are with both the camera and the lack of service from the store where it was purchased.  Be polite but assertive.  If you don't get any result from the first person you speak with, ask to speak to their supervisor, and just keep going up the chain of command, if necessary. 

Writing a letter and waiting for a response will just prolong the situation that much longer.   You might, however, find it helpful to put your complaint into writing, including as many details as possible, and have it in front of you whenever you begin making phone calls.
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

DeadBishop

Quote from: gypsylakat on February 02, 2009, 03:20:26 PM
Grr, so it's been.... 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything from the manager, I called the store today the guys out on medical leave  and has been for a few weeks so I'm STILL without camera. Anyone have the address for Nikon's corporate line, I do still want to write them but have as of yet been unable to find it...

Like I said before, talk to the district manager!  Call the store; they'll give you his phone number. 

gypsylakat

Lol you did say that, but you put it at the end, and for some reason my brains definition of "skim" is don't read the last 2 words apparently... I'm going to start with that tomorrow after class, that's part of the major issue, I'm at a college where I don't have a car, and I hate bumming rides off of my friends to go pick up the camera from the local store here.

gypsylakat

Update:
It is now March 12 and I still have no camera. This all started at christmas.

I'm ticked. Although that isn't the right word for it.

Apparently the manager I was dealing with went on Medical leave like 5 days after speaking with me. awesome. I can't get entirely mad at him for being sick, and it sounds like he may have lost his job, he has been "replaced with a new manager" according to the DM I just spoke with

The DM is calling me back on Monday to see if he can find the camera in Fairfax and will most likely meet me in Fairfax, he sounded almost like he would come to my school to drop it off. Not sure, this is apparently something he's been dealing with a lot of complaints after the manager there went on leave, which probably means he's out of brownie points to give upgrades.