News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

loom knitting

Started by Lady Christina de Pond, January 05, 2009, 11:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

ok so i have this big serenity loom and I'm working on this poncho on it well first one peg broke o.k. no big deal i can manage with one peg broke then a second peg now i have three broken pegs and two more cracked. I'm at a standstill I've worked on this for months and weeks and was so looking forward to it being finished but i don't want to keep going if i'm gonna keep breaking the pegs any loom knitters encounter this problem and anyone got any suggestions on how to keep the rest of the pegs from snapping
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

mieljolie

Sounds like you could be weaving it too tightly.  The best you can probably do at this point is try pulling the yarn straight away or down from the peg to make a larger looser loop to go over the peg without stressing it too much.  Using "e-wap" instead of plain knit stitch also avoids too much tension.  But, if your project is already started, switching might be pretty obvious in the pattern.

I'm fairly new to loom knitting but have been experimenting with making my own knitting looms with rubberbands and now "pick-up sticks".  The sticks are pretty fragile, but the rubberbands stretch, so I haven't had them break on me.
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85